Sound in VW 2.5
Author Message
 Sound in VW 2.5

Hi,

Another question for the cognizenti...

Is it possible to play short sounds (I'm thinking of event-specific
sounds like beeps and clicks) through VW 2.5. I can't find anything
about sound in the documentation.

I'm working on a Windows 95 machine, but I really would like my code to
be as platform-independent as possible, so I don't want to have to do
Windows API calls. Am I out of luck? Do I need some add-on library?

All help is much appreciated,

Kwin Kramer

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Sound in VW 2.5

Quote:

> Hi,

> Another question for the cognizenti...

> Is it possible to play short sounds (I'm thinking of event-specific
> sounds like beeps and clicks) through VW 2.5. I can't find anything
> about sound in the documentation.

> I'm working on a Windows 95 machine, but I really would like my code to
> be as platform-independent as possible, so I don't want to have to do
> Windows API calls. Am I out of luck? Do I need some add-on library?

> All help is much appreciated,

> Kwin KramerWell, on the basic level there is Screen default beep.  But that's not

much.  If you want to be more entertaining you can use DLLCC (CPOK) to
place external calls.  You might want to look at the DLL called mmsystem
(I could be wrong) or whatever is appropriate for Win95.
--
Eugene Lipkin

www.gpoint.com

Wed, 06 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Sound in VW 2.5

mmsystem is the correct dll, the api I think you want is
"sndPlaySound", at least that is the right one in windows and nt.

If you want your sound player to be platform independent, just create a
public generic sound interface that will use the correct sound class
depending on platform behind the scenes.

-Joel

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > Another question for the cognizenti...

> > Is it possible to play short sounds (I'm thinking of event-specific
> > sounds like beeps and clicks) through VW 2.5. I can't find anything
> > about sound in the documentation.

> > I'm working on a Windows 95 machine, but I really would like my code to
> > be as platform-independent as possible, so I don't want to have to do
> > Windows API calls. Am I out of luck? Do I need some add-on library?

> > All help is much appreciated,

> > Kwin KramerWell, on the basic level there is Screen default beep.  But that's not
> much.  If you want to be more entertaining you can use DLLCC (CPOK) to
> place external calls.  You might want to look at the DLL called mmsystem
> (I could be wrong) or whatever is appropriate for Win95.
> --
> Eugene Lipkin

> www.gpoint.com

Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Sound in VW 2.5

Quote:

> > Is it possible to play short sounds
> > Kwin KramerWell, on the basic level there is Screen default beep.

Couldn't find this, do you mean Screen default ringBell? Though your
message name is far more appropriate!
Quote:
> much.  If you want to be more entertaining you can use DLLCC.....

Ouch. Has no one written some nice Smalltalk sound classes? Has anyone
written a ST equivalent to the Acoustic finder that was produced for the
Macintosh a few years ago?

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Sound in VW 2.5

2. Help: VW Smalltalk 2.5

3. VW 2.5 startup screen HELP

4. Stone Age text editing in VW 2.5

5. VW 2.5 Rubberbanding, howto?

6. VWave 1.0 (VW 2.5 may apply)

7. VW 2.5 MultiRow Select Table Widget Needed

8. VW 2.5 menuBar hide, show

9. VW 2.5 automated testing tools

10. PC Serial Port from VW 2.5

11. HELP: VW 2.5 Mac -> WinNT Port