IBM and Rational partnership
Author Message
 IBM and Rational partnership

read in
http://www.*-*-*.com/
IBM and Rational are working together to have some of their tools work
together.  Where does this leave IBM VisualAge for Smalltalk's UML
Designer?

- alexis

---8<------
"The first fruits of the partnership will be seen later this week when
the companies deliver a new integration between IBM's Visual Age
development environment and the Rational Suite, an effort that has been
underway for the past three months. Centered around the XMI bridge, the
integration enables round trip engineering efforts between VisualAge for
Java and Rational Rose.

Explaining how the integration between Visual Age and Rational Rose
works, Rational officials said Visual Age is able to read Java code,
transform it into XMI definitions and from that create a visual model in
Rational Rose. This presents developers with a graphical representation
of the architecture of the code they have written. The process also
works in reverse, they said.

"If you wanted to design your architecture graphically by drawing
pictures in UML, you can. The models you draw in Rose can immediately
generate Java code from those in Visual Age for Java," said Eric Shurr,
vice president and general manager of Rational's corporate marketing and
suits group."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IBM and Rational partnership

Quote:

>read in
>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/990705hnibmrational.xml that
>IBM and Rational are working together to have some of their tools work
>together.  Where does this leave IBM VisualAge for Smalltalk's UML
>Designer?

 As usual today: if someone talks about a tooth brush, they really
mean a tooth brush powered by Java and as I noticed in the official
posting when they talk about VisualAge, they always mean
VisualAge/Java.

 Marten

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IBM and Rational partnership

Quote:

> read in
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/990705hnibmrational.xml that
> IBM and Rational are working together to have some of their tools work
> together.  Where does this leave IBM VisualAge for Smalltalk's UML
> Designer?

What IBM is delivering is a plug-in tool for VA Java that can read
Rose model files, convert them to XMI format, and then process Java
code stored in the VA repository in and out of XMI.  It looks to me
that this is a Java-only deal, and thus won't affect VAST.  Of course,
thats only my conjecture...

Have a glance at
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document3420?OpenDocument&S...

        Eric

--
Eric Nicholas Rizzo
Mild-mannered Java developer by day, Smalltalker by night.

The Technical Resource Connection, Inc.           Perot Systems

 I embrace my personality flaws, for without them I might not
 have any personality at all.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Rational Software Corporation and Martin Marietta's ACC form strategic partnership

2. IBM Acquires Rational Ada

3. Rational validates Ada 95 versions of Rational Apex

4. Consulting/Marketing Partnerships

5. Consulting/Marketing Partnerships

6. Sera, setting up a world wide partnership (ignore)

7. Sera, setting up a world wide partnership

8. Announcement: ISE Eiffel partnerships

9. Kaivo Announces Python Training Partnership

10. Investment Partnership.

11. SDI Partnership and Participation

12. AJPO Announces Ada Technology Partnership Program