Source Code Control system wanted
Author Message
 Source Code Control system wanted

We need a source code control system for a Digitalk/V environment.   (We also
use WindowBuilder.)

Someone has suggested we use Envy but it is *very* expensive for our purposes
and we probably won't get approval.

Can anyone suggest alternative products or approaches?   Can we use PVCS?
What is Team/V?

Thanks in advance

James

Sun, 11 May 1997 20:24:12 GMT
 Source Code Control system wanted
j>We need a source code control system for a Digitalk/V environment.   (We also
j>use WindowBuilder.)
j>
j>Someone has suggested we use Envy but it is *very* expensive for our purposes
j>and we probably won't get approval.

You may try "ChapMan" which is a powerful yet inexpensive development
environment. You find a shareware version via FTP at st.cs.uiuc.edu (directory
/pub/STV/st_v/v_os2/ChapMan1.4). The price for the registered version in $99.

Short description included

Regards

Carsten Haerle

ChapMan 1.4 - Smalltalk/V development environment

ChapMan is an application development environment with project management for
Digitalk's Smalltalk/VOS2 2.0, and is distributed both as shareware and a
commercial product.
The system has context-sensitive online help and hypertext online
documentation. The ChapMan system consists of four main parts:

1) ChapMan Application Browser

o Source code organization in applications and subapplications for better
maintenance.
o Source documentation including semi-automatic change logs for each method,
class comments and descriptions.
o Consistency checks as finding undefined message sends and unused methods.
o Various reports such as listing changes to methods done after a certain date
and source code location summaries.
o Create you own encyclopaedia of classes with complete class protocol
descriptions like in the STV documentation.
o Public and private method filters.
o Many general goodies like browsing implementors, senders of symbols and users
of global or pool dictionary variables by just marking a symbol in any text
pane.
o Vastly improved Class Hierarchy Browser with dozens of useful goodies
(including rename class, change superclass, change class of a method and
automatic creation of access methods for instance variables).
o Automatic Smalltalk-Lint checks for unimplemented message sends.
o Browse and revert to any old method definition.

2) ChapMan Source Browser

o Browsing of arbitrary Smalltalk source files (in chunk format) with
intelligent chunk type detection (e.g.  "define class", "open window", "saved
image", "method definition" etc.).
o Conflict detection and resolving (e.g. class name redirection) with current
system definitions.
o A variety of filters and display options make this browser a versatile tool
in many situations (such as installing new packages, crash recovery, etc.)
o Integration with the application management to selectively add definitions
from a chunk file to an application.

3) ChapMan Library Builder

o Create Smalltalk/V DLL files from applications.

4) ChapMan IPF Browser

o Create and maintain Information Presentation Facility files for documentation
and on-line help.
o Parse menu definitions from the source code and automaticallay create IPF
headings from them.

Contact:
CompuServe:  100045,1257
Parox GmbH
Drechslerweg 40
D-48161 Muenster
Germany
Fax:  +49 2534-1780

Tue, 13 May 1997 19:27:00 GMT
[...]

Sun, 18 May 1997 10:34:00 GMT
 Source Code Control system wanted
OTI is currently selling Envy on a new pricing schedule. Single seats are
$6000 ($3000 for 1 client and $3000 for 1 server [library]), additional
seats are $3000/client. Previously Envy was sold in units of 3 seats for
$12,000 for minimum purchases. If I were you, and believe me I have been
in the past, I would purchase Envy because it does a whole lot more than
just source code control as Team/V does. Envy has a much better
integration with STV than Team/V has simply because Envy stores compiled
methods in the library and it doesn't have to recompile anything that it
loads back in unless the object(s) being loaded were not compiled on the
target system and then the compilation runs very fast - much faster than
simply doing a file-in as Team/V would have to do. Also Envy stores
everything in 1 (one) shared library whereas team/V peppers your hard
disk(s) with little PVCS files which can be _VERY_ inefficient in terms
of hard disk space utilization for FAT file systems and especially so for
large (> 300 MB) hard drive partitions. So Envy is faster and more
efficient and now virtually the same price as Team/V so buy Envy and save
yourself some headaches.

BTW - Digitalk has been hiding technical information from OTI as of the
VWin32s release so now OTI has not been able to complete the
Packager/Swaper for Envy/VWin32s. I think this means that Digitalk is
worried that OTI has become the defacto standard for team programming
environments and this may mean the death of Team/V in the long run. Parc
Place has recently signed a deal with OTI to sell Envy with VisualWorks
so it's no wonder Dgitalk has become worried about OTI and especially
within the context of IBM and VisualAge (created by OTI).

Personally I have been heavily involved with Envy for the past 3 yrs and
have produced a large number of add-ons and enhancements for Envy that
makes Envy far easier to use than ever before. My product is called
'Smalltalker-Pro" and I'd be happy to e-mail you information upon request.

-Smalltalker

Quote:
[...]

Mon, 19 May 1997 23:21:19 GMT
 Source Code Control system wanted

We need a product for windows Win32, and we are using the window builder

al malek

Tue, 20 May 1997 19:36:56 GMT
 Source Code Control system wanted
Soon I will upload the Project Browser (from Tom Koshate and me
(Zordan Nicola A. G.)) into some ftp server.
(It is for VWiinm, a version is also for Vwin32 and it is for
free, only Tom and me want to know the users)
Next I will post here the reference to find it.

Bye, Nik.

--
Nik, Zordan Nicola A. G.                    ---/\    /

via Tegnan 11, I-36078Valdagno (VI) Italy    /--- \/ ik
Tel: +39 445 402484

Tue, 27 May 1997 19:12:43 GMT

1. Source Code Control system wanted

2. Interfacing lisp with a source code control system

3. Source code control system, prjbrw

4. Source Code Control System Wd

5. Wanted: Source code for CODE-BAR39 generation

6. Wanted: Pascal/Ada source analyzer (was Re: WANTED: C source analyser)

7. WANTED: Chief Engineer of Biomedical/Lab-Control Systems

8. information system source wanted

9. ARC, UUDECODE, UUENCODE, ZOO, fortran sources wanted for VMS-system

10. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

11. Converting FORTRAN source code to C source code

12. Source code control for VisualWorks ?