Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs
Author Message
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs

In our VAST 5.0 environment (with VA Assist installed) we want to use
keyboad navigation between the tabs in a Win95 TabStrip control:

1:  When a tab has focus, we expect that using the arrow keys will change
the focus to a neighbour tab.
2:  Using one of the tabulator keys should set focus on current tab from the
control which is next to the Tab Strip in the tab sequence.
3:  Defining a mnemonic character or prefixing the hotkey with an ampersand
(as for example &Person) should make it possible to make a specific tab
current by just hitting the Alt + hotkey combination on the keyboard.

We cannot make neither of these work, the latter seems not to be supported,
there is no mnemonic property on a Tab control.

Have you seen this problem in your VAST 5.0?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Trygve Bauck
Computas A.S

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs
You can add keyboard/hotkey support to many controls by using eventHandlers.
This is well documented in the Programmer's Reference.  I have never needed to
add this as you describe, but I have been abel to add it to many controls that
don't support mnemonics, and in cases where mnemonics are a problem (IE
numerics, since keyboard numbers are not the same as keypad numbers).
Basically, you trap the keypress and evaluate the key value.  Then you can
assign the action (method) to occur.

I'm curious though, are you looking for this activity only when the tab has
focus, or do you want a way to hot key to the next tab from anywhere in the
current tab?

If you want some example code, send me a provate email

Dan

Dan Antion
American Nuclear Insurers - but they speak for themselves

Quote:

> In our VAST 5.0 environment (with VA Assist installed) we want to use
> keyboad navigation between the tabs in a Win95 TabStrip control:

> 1:  When a tab has focus, we expect that using the arrow keys will change
> the focus to a neighbour tab.
> 2:  Using one of the tabulator keys should set focus on current tab from the
> control which is next to the Tab Strip in the tab sequence.
> 3:  Defining a mnemonic character or prefixing the hotkey with an ampersand
> (as for example &Person) should make it possible to make a specific tab
> current by just hitting the Alt + hotkey combination on the keyboard.

> We cannot make neither of these work, the latter seems not to be supported,
> there is no mnemonic property on a Tab control.

> Have you seen this problem in your VAST 5.0?

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Trygve Bauck
> Computas A.S

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs
Thank you Dan,

Yes, I actually want to have a hotkey (accelerator) for each tab which
should be recognised from anywhere in the application window, outside or
inside the current tab.  I've tried out your hint using event handlers,
which I registered to the tab strip, hence it works only while one of the
tabs have focus, which is not good enough.  Is there a better receiver for
registering the event handler?

Another hint I've got from a well known Smalltalk guru is that the win95 tab
control is poorly wrappered in VAST, while the portable notebook controls
supports the tabulator and arrow-keys very well.  These controls do no have
the same neat look as the win95 tab strip control, but they have a better
behaviour when there is no room to show all tabs in one row, showing
multiple rows of tabs.  So this is a question of evaluating advantages
against disadvantages.

But hotkey support is still a problem.  I want hotkeys to work as for menus
and buttons, independently from where the focus is in the active window.

I just discovered the VAST 5.0.1 fixpack, which has a couple of fixes
concerning tab sequences.  Have not had the time yet to find out if the
problems are solved there.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Trygve Bauck
Computas A.S

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs
The only time I have done something like this is when almost everything on the
page had some kind of keystroke control.  Each widget just passes along the
keystrokes it's not interested in to a default event handler.  I would hope
there is a better way to do it, but for me, in this case, it works fine.  One of
the applications I have that is in a series of tabs uses a component (modified
text entry field) that is already handling keystroke events.  If a widget
doesn't care about a key, it simply forwards that to a handler for evaluation.
Unfortunately, when you start considering all the other places the user could
give focus to, it gets pretty messy.

The behavior of the portable tab is better, but as you point out, the look is
different.  Then, sometimes the users want the key that they want, and that's
it.  I have users that want the keypad 1 to be accepted for yes and the keypad 0
accepted for no.  They want the keypad + to scroll lists down and the keypad -
to scroll lists up.  This is because they are working off the keypad most of the
time.  They don't want to touch the mouse, and they really don't want to visit
the other side of the keyboard.  I have to remind myself that I write this stuff
once, and visit it on occasion.  They use it everyday.  When I watch them work,
it makes sense.  I've been pummeled here (in this news group) before for not
forcing "Windows" behavior, but I can live with that.

Dan
--------------------
Dan Antion
American Nuclear Insurers - but they speak for themselves

Quote:

> Thank you Dan,

> Yes, I actually want to have a hotkey (accelerator) for each tab which
> should be recognised from anywhere in the application window, outside or
> inside the current tab.  I've tried out your hint using event handlers,
> which I registered to the tab strip, hence it works only while one of the
> tabs have focus, which is not good enough.  Is there a better receiver for
> registering the event handler?

> Another hint I've got from a well known Smalltalk guru is that the win95 tab
> control is poorly wrappered in VAST, while the portable notebook controls
> supports the tabulator and arrow-keys very well.  These controls do no have
> the same neat look as the win95 tab strip control, but they have a better
> behaviour when there is no room to show all tabs in one row, showing
> multiple rows of tabs.  So this is a question of evaluating advantages
> against disadvantages.

> But hotkey support is still a problem.  I want hotkeys to work as for menus
> and buttons, independently from where the focus is in the active window.

> I just discovered the VAST 5.0.1 fixpack, which has a couple of fixes
> concerning tab sequences.  Have not had the time yet to find out if the
> problems are solved there.

> Any further help would be much appreciated.

> Trygve Bauck
> Computas A.S

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs

Quote:

> while the portable notebook controls supports the tabulator and
> arrow-keys very well.  These controls do no have the same neat
> look as the win95 tab strip control

Fortunately, they are written in Smalltalk, so you can change the look
fairly easily. You can see an example of this in our WidgetKit/Controls
product:

    http://www.smalltalksystems.com/wkctrls.htm

-Eric Clayberg
Vice President
Instantiations, Inc., Smalltalk Systems Division

http://www.smalltalksystems.com
http://www.instantiations.com

GO SMALLTALK!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Tab/TabStrip - Want to use keyboard navigation between tabs

Quote:

> > while the portable notebook controls supports the tabulator and
> > arrow-keys very well.  These controls do no have the same neat
> > look as the win95 tab strip control

> Fortunately, they are written in Smalltalk, so you can change the look
> fairly easily. You can see an example of this in our WidgetKit/Controls
> product:

Fortunately I was able to buy that product :-)

Dan

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Tabs, Tabs, Tabs!!

2. Tabbing order and tabstrip

3. problem with using TAB button in tabbed dialogs

4. tab navigation and clusters

5. Detecting the current tab in a tab panel

6. Tabs within Tabs

7. Selecting TAB sheet by pressing TAB key

8. Tabbing through tabs

9. Button to goto next tab / previous tab

10. tab order inside tab

11. VI crashes on load because of hidden tab in tab control

12. Inkey() value of Shift-Tab in Windows 98 is the same as Tab