was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000
Author Message
 was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

DSTPE 4.01.2, Windows 98 OSR2.

I still get the problem of a deployed app writing over the desktop even with
patch level 2. This only happens on the first attempt to write a report to
the app's window, if I minimise and then maximise the app the report is
correctly confined to the app's window, which tends to support the resource
starvation theory, I'm creating at least 3 fonts.

Going back to PL1 and trying Blair's suggested fix in the previous posts on
this subject, caused the app to always write on the desktop. i.e. minimising
and maximising the app. didn't then cause it to confine the report to the
app's window.

Bill's suggestion did however work i.e. if I set Font>>initialize to:

Font>>initialize
 "Initialise the receiver."

 super initialize.
 (logfont := LOGFONT new) lfWeight: FW_NORMAL.
 resolution := View desktop resolution.

then I don't get the problem.

--
Ian Oldham

I am {*filter*}ed but I can't get the T-shirt to prove it - they've sold out

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:42:22 GMT
 was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000
Ian

The official patch to Font>>initialize should definitely fix the problem, in
fact it amounts to effectively the same thing as Bill's patch but avoids
creating a dependency on View (necessary if one wishes to use GDI objects
from a console application). With PL2 Font>>initialize should look like
this:

initialize
    "Initialise the receiver."
    super initialize.
    (logfont := LOGFONT new) lfWeight: FW_NORMAL.
    resolution := self desktopResolution.

#desktopResolution uses a lazily initialized class variable, and so will
only create one Canvas, avoiding the resource starvation issue.

Perhaps PL2 did not apply properly in your case for some reason. I would
recommend that you download a new installation that already has PL2 applied
and try that.

Regards

Blair

Quote:
> DSTPE 4.01.2, Windows 98 OSR2.

> I still get the problem of a deployed app writing over the desktop even
with
> patch level 2. This only happens on the first attempt to write a report to
> the app's window, if I minimise and then maximise the app the report is
> correctly confined to the app's window, which tends to support the
resource
> starvation theory, I'm creating at least 3 fonts.

> Going back to PL1 and trying Blair's suggested fix in the previous posts
on
> this subject, caused the app to always write on the desktop. i.e.
minimising
> and maximising the app. didn't then cause it to confine the report to the
> app's window.

> Bill's suggestion did however work i.e. if I set Font>>initialize to:

> Font>>initialize
>  "Initialise the receiver."

>  super initialize.
>  (logfont := LOGFONT new) lfWeight: FW_NORMAL.
>  resolution := View desktop resolution.

> then I don't get the problem.

> --
> Ian Oldham

> I am {*filter*}ed but I can't get the T-shirt to prove it - they've sold out

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:28:58 GMT

1. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

2. AdaGIDE 7.00 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)

3. Moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

4. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

5. Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

6. 95/98/nt/2000/me

7. desktops on 95/98/NT/2000

8. PL/I compiler for win 98 or Windows 2000

9. cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000

10. problem: mbp Cobol & Windows 98/NT

11. How to print in Windows 98/2000

12. Problem with Clarion5 legacy exe and windows NT/2000