SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?
Author Message
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

I was wondering if anyone knows something about what's going on with
SmalltalkAgents from QKS. Their latest VM expired on April 1, 2000. There is
no update on their website
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Also, are there any Smalltalks that (will) work on the upcoming Mac OS X
(besides Squeak)?

Thanks,
Roland

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows something about what's going on with
> SmalltalkAgents from QKS. Their latest VM expired on April 1, 2000. There is
> no update on their website
> (http://smalltalkagents.qks.com/beta/downloads/Win32_Beta/3b6.VM.asp)

> Also, are there any Smalltalks that (will) work on the upcoming Mac OS X
> (besides Squeak)?

VisualWorks has always worked on the Mac).  You can try out the NC
version on the Mac and see for yourself:

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Quote:

> Thanks,
> Roland

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> > I was wondering if anyone knows something about what's going on with
> > SmalltalkAgents from QKS. Their latest VM expired on April 1, 2000. There is
> > no update on their website
> > (http://smalltalkagents.qks.com/beta/downloads/Win32_Beta/3b6.VM.asp)

> > Also, are there any Smalltalks that (will) work on the upcoming Mac OS X
> > (besides Squeak)?

> VisualWorks has always worked on the Mac).  You can try out the NC
> version on the Mac and see for yourself:

> http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

James,

He said Mac OS X, emphasis on X. X is well, a bit different than the previous
versions. For one, it's dripping with so much eye candy as to make one either
drool or nauseous. I would like to nominate Peter Hatch to do the port. He'll
appreciate this. :) (Inside joke)

--
Travis Griggs (a.k.a. Lord of the Fries)
Member, Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> > > I was wondering if anyone knows something about what's going on with
> > > SmalltalkAgents from QKS. Their latest VM expired on April 1, 2000. There is
> > > no update on their website
> > > (http://smalltalkagents.qks.com/beta/downloads/Win32_Beta/3b6.VM.asp)

> > > Also, are there any Smalltalks that (will) work on the upcoming Mac OS X
> > > (besides Squeak)?

> > VisualWorks has always worked on the Mac).  You can try out the NC
> > version on the Mac and see for yourself:

> > http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

> James,

> He said Mac OS X, emphasis on X. X is well, a bit different than the previous
> versions. For one, it's dripping with so much eye candy as to make one either
> drool or nauseous. I would like to nominate Peter Hatch to do the port. He'll
> appreciate this. :) (Inside joke)

Didn't notice that.  But our contract with Heeg does call for them to
support newer revs of the Mac OS, and Mac OS X should qualify.  I don't
know how soon that support would be forthcoming though.

> --
> Travis Griggs (a.k.a. Lord of the Fries)
> Member, Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective
> Key Technology
> P-P-P-Penguin  Power!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> He said Mac OS X, emphasis on X. X is well, a bit different than the previous
> versions. For one, it's dripping with so much eye candy as to make one either
> drool or nauseous. I would like to nominate Peter Hatch to do the port. He'll
> appreciate this. :) (Inside joke)

Bastard ;-)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?
James,

Just out of curiosity, What, or Who, is Heeg?

Also, I notice that the version numbers don't match between the Windows
and the Mac version.  Is this just a bookeeping issue, or is the Mac
version not quite as advanced/full featured?

Thanks for your help,

John

<SNIP>

Quote:
> Didn't notice that.  But our contract with Heeg does call for them to
> support newer revs of the Mac OS, and Mac OS X should qualify.  I

don't know how soon that support would be forthcoming though.
</SNIP>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> James,

> Just out of curiosity, What, or Who, is Heeg?

More or less is both ;-)
see http://www.heeg.de/english/start.html

Quote:

--

sd&m AG                             http://www.sdm.de
software design & management

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?
Thanks, Marco, I'll check it out. By the way, could anyone please tell
me, is VW Mac as current as VW Windows? It looks to me that the Mac
version has not been updated in years.  Am I wrong?

Thanks,

John

Quote:

> see http://www.heeg.de/english/start.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> Thanks, Marco, I'll check it out. By the way, could anyone please tell
> me, is VW Mac as current as VW Windows? It looks to me that the Mac
> version has not been updated in years.  Am I wrong?

> Thanks,

You are wrong.  There are new (you have to load them) look policies as
well.
Quote:

> John

> > see http://www.heeg.de/english/start.html

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?
We continue to deploy our apps on both PC and Mac, using the same
image.  We are now up to VW3.x.  The only thing that hasn't kept up
is ENVY, which AFAIK is still unavailable on the Mac for VW3.
Unfortunately, this is a real pain when you have to troubleshoot
some Mac-specific problem!  Any word on plans for ENVY on the Mac?

-Christopher

Quote:

> > Thanks, Marco, I'll check it out. By the way, could anyone please tell
> > me, is VW Mac as current as VW Windows? It looks to me that the Mac
> > version has not been updated in years.  Am I wrong?

> > Thanks,

> You are wrong.  There are new (you have to load them) look policies as
> well.

> > John

> > > see http://www.heeg.de/english/start.html

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> We continue to deploy our apps on both PC and Mac, using the same
> image.  We are now up to VW3.x.  The only thing that hasn't kept up
> is ENVY, which AFAIK is still unavailable on the Mac for VW3.
> Unfortunately, this is a real pain when you have to troubleshoot
> some Mac-specific problem!  Any word on plans for ENVY on the Mac?

OTI has no plans (so far as I know) to support VW on the Mac.  Probably
your best path is to look at migrating to StORE, since it relies on a
back end database (Oracle and SQLServer in the next release) that you
should be able to access from a Mac
Quote:
> -Christopher

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?
James,

Thanks for the information. This is indeed good to know as I was
dreading working with Objective-C, which seems to be the "blessed"
language for Mac OSX development.

I'll download the NC trial tonight, and try it out.

John

Quote:

> You are wrong.  There are new (you have to load them) look policies as
> well.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

>Thanks for the information. This is indeed good to know as I was
>dreading working with Objective-C, which seems to be the "blessed"
>language for Mac OSX development.

>I'll download the NC trial tonight, and try it out.

>John

I've downloaded, installed, and attempted to use the latest VW NC for
the Mac on two separate occasions recently, and it was:

1) very unstable, crashing within a minute or two every time I used it

2) very ugly - it drew its own non-standard menus and widgets, all in
black and white (i.e., not even grayscale, let alone color).

So, despite the comments of thers, VW seems not to have noticed that the
current MacOS release is no longer 7.5.

Ralph

--

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> >Thanks for the information. This is indeed good to know as I was
> >dreading working with Objective-C, which seems to be the "blessed"
> >language for Mac OSX development.

> >I'll download the NC trial tonight, and try it out.

> >John

> I've downloaded, installed, and attempted to use the latest VW NC for
> the Mac on two separate occasions recently, and it was:

> 1) very unstable, crashing within a minute or two every time I used it

This is being looked into

Quote:
> 2) very ugly - it drew its own non-standard menus and widgets, all in
> black and white (i.e., not even grayscale, let alone color).

> So, despite the comments of thers, VW seems not to have noticed that the
> current MacOS release is no longer 7.5.

Try loading the newer look policies.  There are parcels for those

> Ralph

> --

> Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 SmalltalkAgents: R.I.P.?

Quote:

> I've downloaded, installed, and attempted to use the latest VW NC for
> the Mac on two separate occasions recently, and it was:

> 1) very unstable, crashing within a minute or two every time I used it

That's not entirely true. I've reported the bug to Cincom, but nobody even
noticed it.
The Mac version crashes due to the installed  look and feel settings
(ICC-Windows-LookPolicy).
You have to start the image on another OS and to change the look
preferences to win3 for example.

Quote:
> 2) very ugly - it drew its own non-standard menus and widgets, all in
> black and white (i.e., not even grayscale, let alone color).

Load the new Mac Look parcels. Additionally you should get the parcel MAC
resize, which
enables you to change the window sizes easier.

Jens

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. ACM SigForth: R.I.P.

2. VS COBOL II - R.I.P.

3. Allen Holub on DDJ & C-Chest (R.I.P. Dr. Dobb's)

4. Brits' RIP ripped!

5. DR PL/I for DOS (was Brits' RIP ripped!)

6. J rip-off? - cla-jul.24a (1/1)

7. The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP

8. Hans Rakow RIP

9. RIP char >127? help

10. ASAP: Help, Rip a CDs folders to!

11. "HELP ME" - Rip-off warning

12. Quicksite and no pays are they rip offs?