How to start SmallTalk User's Group in a particular region
Author Message
 How to start SmallTalk User's Group in a particular region

Please give me advice that how can i start Smalltalk User's Group in a
particular part of the world. Let's say here in India(Asia/Pacific).

There are existing User Groups in various parts of the globe and how
have the people started this group ?

Any advice or comments will be highly appreciated and would help in
growing the
awarness of SmallTalk. As well as the community building efforts.

Best Regards,

Nishant Bhatnagar,
Mumbai, India.

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:32:59 GMT
 How to start SmallTalk User's Group in a particular region

Quote:
> Please give me advice that how can i start SmallTalk User's Group in a
> particular part of the world. Let's say here in India(Asia/Pacific).

> There are existing User Groups in various parts of the globe and how
> have the people started this group ?

> Any advice or comments will be highly appreciated and would help in
> growing the
> awarness of SmallTalk. As well as the community building efforts.

> Best Regards,

> Nishant Bhatnagar,
> Mumbai, India.

I think the best advice is to just do it.  I know that here in Ottawa we
had no Smalltalk user group for many years, even though there was a lot
of Smalltalk going on here. Then, about 2 years ago, two people decided
(Brad Peterson and Doug Yuill) decided to get one started, and did
something about it.

The things you need are

 - a way to get in contact with at least a reasonable number of the
Smalltalkers in your area. Knowing which companies use Smalltalk would
probably help.

 - some speakers. Since the user group won't have many resources, you'll
need to find people to speak cheaply. That means either outside people
who are brought in by some other company, vendor representatives, or
members of the group itself. For example, last year Gemstone
representatives visited one of the local companies, and we got them to
come in and give a talk to the user group at the same time.

 - motivated people to do the work. This is the most important thing.

Hope this helps,

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"I think we've shown simplicity to the world ... but I don't think we've
jammed simplicity down the throat of the world to the extent that we
really should have" - Ron Jeffries

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:50:28 GMT

1. The Ottawa Region VHDL User Group meeting

2. Vancouver Smalltalk Users' Group May Meeting

3. Cleveland Smalltalk User's Group

4. Smalltalk User's Group in Utah?

5. USA-GA-Atl-SmallTalk User's Group June Meeting: IBM Web Parts

6. Is there a Smalltalk User's group in Melbourne, Australia

7. Fuller Description of last Thursday's Massachusetts Smalltalk Users Group Meeting

8. Florida Smalltalk Users' Group

9. Triangle Smalltalk User's Group

10. **New Jersey Smalltalk Users' Group Meeting Announcement

11. DC Smalltalk Users' Group Meeting

12. DC Smalltalk Users' Group