How to analyze paging performance of an application?
Author Message
 How to analyze paging performance of an application?

I'm interested in tools or suggestions on how to analyze the
distribution of our objects in virtual memory. We don't have
object engine source. I appreciate answers of 'use an object
database to get good clustering and paging behavior' but would
like to know about any tools available to help see virtual
memory and paging behavior, or advice on building them.
Thanks!

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to analyze paging performance of an application?

Quote:
>I'm interested in tools or suggestions on how to analyze the
>distribution of our objects in virtual memory. We don't have
>object engine source. I appreciate answers of 'use an object
>database to get good clustering and paging behavior' but would
>like to know about any tools available to help see virtual
>memory and paging behavior, or advice on building them.
>Thanks!

Hi, IF I REMEMBER correctly from some reading I did in 'Smalltalk lessons learned'
I seem to recall that objects don't cluster in memory and it was too much
work to place high activity objects on the same memory page.

However I seem to remember someone from the GemStone camp talking about this
issue and some solutions for OODB systems.

Sat, 18 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to analyze complex C++ application?

2. IBM XL High Performance Fortran for AIX web page

3. Active Server Pages performance?

4. performance issues between scripting languages in asp pages

5. smalltalk performance in data intensive application

6. smalltalk performance in data intensive application (fwd)

7. Application Performance????

8. CW Application Performance Over Low Speed Connection

9. NT performance reduction with Clipper application running

10. Application Builder Performance?

11. Tk/tcl application performance?

12. TclX.n man pages (and pages and pages....)