Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
Author Message
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.

The Smalltalk PR campaign currently under way is starting to yield
results. This first article in the April 28th (i.e. current) issue is
the first in a series dedicated to Smalltalk.

Let's keep the momentum growing...

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:37:33 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
That's great.  I've searched the www.informationweek.com web site but
could not find an electronic edition.  If someone sees an electronic
version, please post the url to this forum. Thanks.

Peter O.

Quote:

> The Smalltalk PR campaign currently under way is starting to yield
> results. This first article in the April 28th (i.e. current) issue is
> the first in a series dedicated to Smalltalk.

> Let's keep the momentum growing...

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:37:40 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
here it is:

Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

-Charles

Quote:

> That's great.  I've searched the www.informationweek.com web site but
> could not find an electronic edition.  If someone sees an electronic
> version, please post the url to this forum. Thanks.

> Peter O.

> > The Smalltalk PR campaign currently under way is starting to yield
> > results. This first article in the April 28th (i.e. current) issue is
> > the first in a series dedicated to Smalltalk.

> > Let's keep the momentum growing...

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 03:03:05 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.

Quote:

>Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
>http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

Now, there's a link to send to your CTO (or if you're
the CTO, to your CEO).

I just love the whole concept about Smalltalk, including
its name. Little objects doing some small talking with
each other. Alan Kay was/is clearly a genious. One of the
great thinkers of our time.

-Panu Viljamaa

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:21:34 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
This is great. This is wonderful.
This kind of tech Smalltalk complementary stuff has been with us for
decades.
And, it's gotten the language no where.
Now. Lets talk about how we can merge the best of Java with the best of
Smalltalk. And produce a VW product that kicks ass.
In the words of SHAQ.

CAN YOU DIG IT !!!

Quote:

>> Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
>> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

> Now, there's a link to send to your CTO (or if you're
> the CTO, to your CEO).

> I just love the whole concept about Smalltalk, including
> its name. Little objects doing some small talking with
> each other. Alan Kay was/is clearly a genious. One of the
> great thinkers of our time.

> -Panu Viljamaa

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:48:44 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
The are mentioning "model-view-controller" stuff as somthing to follow.....
Isn't it outdated? Isn't "model-view" enough (modern view has already
controller "inside")..

Vlastik

Quote:
> here it is:

> Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

> -Charles

Quote:
> > That's great.  I've searched the www.informationweek.com web site but
> > could not find an electronic edition.  If someone sees an electronic
> > version, please post the url to this forum. Thanks.

> > Peter O.

Quote:
> > > The Smalltalk PR campaign currently under way is starting to yield
> > > results. This first article in the April 28th (i.e. current) issue is
> > > the first in a series dedicated to Smalltalk.

> > > Let's keep the momentum growing...

---

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:14:51 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
This is great. This is wonderful.
This kind of tech Smalltalk complementary stuff has been with us for
decades.
And, it's gotten the language no where.
Now. Lets talk about how we can merge the best of Java with the best of
Smalltalk. And produce a VW product that kicks ass.
In the words of SHAQ.

CAN YOU DIG IT !!!

Quote:

>> Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
>> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

> Now, there's a link to send to your CTO (or if you're
> the CTO, to your CEO).

> I just love the whole concept about Smalltalk, including
> its name. Little objects doing some small talking with
> each other. Alan Kay was/is clearly a genious. One of the
> great thinkers of our time.

> -Panu Viljamaa

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:48:44 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
Vlastimil,

Quote:
>The are mentioning "model-view-controller" stuff as somthing to follow.....
>Isn't it outdated? Isn't "model-view" enough (modern view has already
>controller "inside")..

Yes, and no.

The historical MVC is quite specific in that the C, Controller, is the locus of
passing user input information to the View and/or Model. Mind you, MVC existed
to compensate for the lack of OS's that supported fully independent event driven
I/O services. Frankly, it existed to compensate for the lack of OS's.

That said, the traditional MVC has been somewhat usurped by the fact that OS's
now really supply the C, Controller part. HOWEVER, that does NOT really mean
that a more modern triad shouldn't and doesn't exist.

From a modern point of view, V and C are now combined into one: V Prime (if you
will. The term Model has become too encompassing. So, in a modern point of view,
compared to the original intent of MVC, the Model really should be just the
domain model.

What is left out is the new "C Prime". This we could call, instead of
Controller, possibly "Coordinator" or "Presenter". This is, as my colleague
Vassili Bykov recently put it, TTIB (Those Things In Between).

Certainly, we don't want our domain models to have information about how to
navigate from one screen to another, or validation actions. This is where TTIBs
come in, and should and do represent the new MV'C'.

The goal of MVC has not ever disappeared. That is to provide a layered design
which allows multiple views to see and manipulate the same model. To do this, we
simply need to create and then share TTIBs.

So, MVC hasn't died, it has simply evolved with the environments in which it
lives.

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Go Smalltalk!

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:36:27 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
And the whole thing becomes interesting again in a web context. See, e.g.
http://www.whysmalltalk.com/articles/index.htm#objectsandtheweb

Quote:

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The quoting of an aphorism, like the angry barking of a dog or the smell
of overcooked broccoli, rarely indicates that something helpful is about
to happen" -- Lemony Snicket.

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:21:53 GMT
 Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.
The author points out MVC I believe mainly because in the Java
community it has been the underlying foundation of some popular web
frameworks namely STRUTS. BTW, it would not be a bad idea to recreate
STRUTS in Smalltalk i.e. since it has become quite heavily used in the
Java community and IDE's such as Eclipse and WSAD provide integration
for it. Not that Struts is a better framework than the frameworks
availble in Smalltalk but having it available makes it easy to attract
Java web developers. Of course VisualWave for years has provided MVC
in a web setting and extensions to Wave such as Tsunami :) allowed the
creation of web pages via html editors, so MVC on the Web is course
nothing new to Smalltalkers.

BTW, MVC as implemented in the current UI framework has one at least
one advantage that I can think of and that it is quite easy and clean
to plug in different controllers. For example one may have a custom
view where let's say vector objects are superimposed over a raster
image of for example a mechanical drawing, one mode may be where one
"selects" objects and yet another mode is one where one pans the image
i.e. effectively panning both the raster image and the vector objects.
In both situation the underlying view did the same thing i.e. simply
takes care of displaying the underlying raster image and the
superimposed vector objects yet the different modes of user
interaction where handled by using specific controllers.

Quote:

> The are mentioning "model-view-controller" stuff as somthing to follow.....
> Isn't it outdated? Isn't "model-view" enough (modern view has already
> controller "inside")..

> Vlastik

> > here it is:

> > Smalltalk Gets Developers Talking
> > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400315

> > -Charles

> > > That's great.  I've searched the www.informationweek.com web site but
> > > could not find an electronic edition.  If someone sees an electronic
> > > version, please post the url to this forum. Thanks.

> > > Peter O.

> ---

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:20:10 GMT

1. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

2. G-Calc's review in the current issue of Clarion Online

3. Smalltalk Report Article about Reporting in Smalltalk

4. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

5. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

6. Object Currents - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - Many New Issues

7. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

8. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

9. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - Many New Issues

10. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES

11. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - Many New Issues

12. OBJECT CURRENTS - Free New Monthly WWW Journal - MANY NEW ISSUES