Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...
Author Message
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...

My account has Administrator access.  I am installing Dolphin 5 from the EXE
on Windows 2000 5.00.2195 on an NTFS drive.  The installation says it can
not access the Dolphin Smalltalk 5.0 directory bellow the "My Documents"
directory, it suggests that I log on with administrator privileges.  See a
picture of the error message here
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;I can
manually create the directory so I do have enough privileges to do that.
The ACL shows that I have full control.  It should be noted that the
location of the "My Documents" has been changed to point to the location
shown on the D drive.  I would imagine that if the setup were using the
correct constants that should not be a problem.  I do not recall having this
problem installing Dolphin 4.  Is there a log file of some sort I can look
at to see what the setup program is trying to do?  I tried both options
(Install for me/everyone), same problem.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:59:43 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...

Quote:
> problem installing Dolphin 4.  Is there a log file of some sort I can look
> at to see what the setup program is trying to do?

Ok, I figured out how to make a log, it can be found here:
http://www.mitchellscientific.com/temp/DolphinSetup2.log .

The error after I manually create the directory is actually different.  In
this log the first Error 1303 is the error I was getting before.  Then I
manually created the directory and hit retry and get Error 1317.

Chris

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:40:22 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...

Quote:
> My account has Administrator access.  I am installing Dolphin 5 from the
EXE
> on Windows 2000 5.00.2195 on an NTFS drive.  The installation says it can
> not access the Dolphin Smalltalk 5.0 directory bellow the "My Documents"
> directory, it suggests that I log on with administrator privileges.  See a

Well I finally got Dolphin 5 installed on Windows 2000.  Ultimately I used
another account, and executed the MSI file from my D drive.  Oddly I finally
got it to create some directories under my account when I ran it from the D
drive rather than where the EXE was putting it on the C drive, but it raised
an error creating one of the example subdirectories.  I can think of no
reason the installation should have failed from my normal account (as I had
permissions to do everything it was trying to do), and even the log could
not provide me with an adequate explanation.  I have to say that so far I am
unimpressed with MSI.

Chris

Mon, 03 Jan 2005 04:52:28 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...
Chris,

Quote:
> Well I finally got Dolphin 5 installed on Windows 2000.  Ultimately I used
> another account, and executed the MSI file from my D drive.  Oddly I
finally
> got it to create some directories under my account when I ran it from the
> drive rather than where the EXE was putting it on the C drive, but it
raised
> an error creating one of the example subdirectories.  I can think of no
> reason the installation should have failed from my normal account (as I
had
> permissions to do everything it was trying to do), and even the log could
> not provide me with an adequate explanation.

That's somewhat surprising, because I've not had any problems installing on
2k.  A friend of mine insists on tinkering with computers more than his
knowledge of them allows him to do with safety<g> (not the case with you, I
realize), and he has often complained about inability to do this or that
from such and such account.  Maybe there is something wrong in the Windows
handles the various accounts???

One other thing that comes to mind: sometimes when working at a command
line, I get errors about a directory being invalid any time I try to change
to it.  I can read/write files etc. and use Windows Explorer to manipulate
these directories, but, something in 2k thinks they are bogus.  Any
connection?

Quote:
> I have to say that so far I am
> unimpressed with MSI.

I'm quite impressed with it - **negatively** :(  At best, it's a lost
opportunity, and IMHO quite dangerous because of its needless complexity.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:03:55 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...
Chris,

Quote:
> One other thing that comes to mind: sometimes when working at a command
> line, I get errors about a directory being invalid any time I try to
change
> to it.  I can read/write files etc. and use Windows Explorer to manipulate
> these directories, but, something in 2k thinks they are bogus.  Any
> connection?

Re-reading that, it strikes me as unclear.   This is a problem only with
specific directories.  I'm not sure if it's persistent across sessions, but,
I have run into multiple times.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:08:38 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...

Quote:
> Re-reading that, it strikes me as unclear.   This is a problem only with
> specific directories.  I'm not sure if it's persistent across sessions, but,
> I have run into multiple times.

FWIW, I've had that too. After re-typing the command about 10 times
thinking I must have made a misstake, I usually go nuts and fire up
explorer.exe... but the same directory does not exhibit that problem
*all the time*, just some times.

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:53:19 GMT
 Dolphin 5 Instalation on Windows 2000 with Admin causes error...
Peter,

Quote:
> FWIW, I've had that too. After re-typing the command about 10 times
> thinking I must have made a misstake, I usually go nuts and fire up
> explorer.exe... but the same directory does not exhibit that problem
> *all the time*, just some times.

Interesting - thanks!

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:33:55 GMT

1. InnoSetup script for Dolphin / Windows 2000

2. Windows 2000 WOW32.dll Error... HELP

3. Windows 2000 WOW32.DLL Error ... Help

4. Windows 2000 error message, C5EE

5. Windows 2000 / Transaction framing errors / tErminal services

6. WOW32.DLL error when using CW5.0 EE in Windows 2000

7. Windows 2000 Unrecoverable Error 415.

8. windows 2000 / clipper 5.3 / divde by zero errors

9. dos error 3 printing to local printer in windows 2000 - clipper 5.2

10. dos error 4 (windows 2000)

11. Errors Running Clarion-DOS on Windows-2000

12. error 1326 while installing labview 6 on windows 2000