ENVY + PC-NFS = ?
Author Message
 ENVY + PC-NFS = ?

Does anybuddy out there use ENVY for PCs where the Envy repository is held
on a shared SUN/Unix server drive ?  If so , we would like to know the
effectiveness of this configuration.  This configuration causes the ENVY
repositiory to become corrupt at our site.

thanks

tariq. (Now at NRI).
--

  Bow                                   |         Telephone:  +44 81-980 1483
   LONDON, E3 5RS, UK                   |         Fax:        +44 71-248 5989

Tue, 06 Feb 1996 07:27:08 GMT
 ENVY + PC-NFS = ?
 >Does anybuddy out there use ENVY for PCs where the Envy repository is held
 >on a shared SUN/Unix server drive ?  If so , we would like to know the
 >effectiveness of this configuration.  This configuration causes the ENVY
 >repositiory to become corrupt at our site.

For definitive (and correct :-) answers to questions like this you

However, my (very unofficial) take on this is: The ED r1.41a Release
Notes for VPM and V Windows does not mention PC-NFS support (I don't
expect it would be different for PPS).  I seem to remember that PC-NFS
used to be supported but not recommended.  PS-NFS has (had?) problems
with locks which could quite possibly be causing the type of trouble
you mentioned.  I would check the manuals for your version and be sure
that the configurations you are using are actually supported.  EMSRV
is strongly recommended as the interface between PC-based images and
UNIX-based repositories.

--
ato de, |m        -- All my colors are rejects.

Wed, 07 Feb 1996 14:36:57 GMT
 ENVY + PC-NFS = ?

Quote:
>...  This configuration causes the ENVY
>repositiory to become corrupt at our site.

I am certain that OTI would be very interested in your problem. Did you
bother to talk to them before making acuasations in a public forum?

In particular, you must access any UNIX library via the "emsrv" data
server, since UNIX does not have mutual exclusion built in, as does
Netware, et. al.

For the record, I have *never* experienced loss of data under ENVY when
used as specified. (I have managed to{*filter*}things up when trying to
use protected methods, but that was my own fault! Work on a copy when
experimenting!)

 Jan Steinman, Bytesmiths
 2002 Parkside Court, West Linn, OR 97068-2767 USA, +1 503 657 7703
 Friedlistrasse 19, CH-3006, Bern, Switzerland, +41 31 999 3946

Fri, 09 Feb 1996 15:46:23 GMT
 ENVY + PC-NFS = ?
We have just set up a similar enviroment and I've noticed that
if the emsrv process goes down an image trying to access it will
under certain circumstances report that the database is corrupt.
Restarting emsrv releaves the problem.

The biggest problem we have had so far was with Windows. Visualworks
writes an entry to win.ini coupling .im files to their virtual machine.
Since ENVY has its own virtual machine things don't work so well until
you remove this entry.

_____________________________

Niklas Bjornerstedt
Enator Functional Systems

Fri, 09 Feb 1996 16:55:49 GMT
 ENVY + PC-NFS = ?

 >The biggest problem we have had so far was with Windows. Visualworks
 >writes an entry to win.ini coupling .im files to their virtual machine.
 >Since ENVY has its own virtual machine things don't work so well until
 >you remove this entry.

Hmmm, I've not had this problem.  Anyway, while the ENVY software is
extremely stable, there are bound to be some problems whether they be
with configurations, users or actual bugs.  Please report all
difficulties you may have with any configuration of ENVY/Developer (or
any OTI product for that matter) to:

I'm sure that they are interested in finding out what users want, what
problems they are having and how they think their products can be
improved.

--
ato de, |m        -- All my colors are rejects.

Sat, 10 Feb 1996 11:13:43 GMT

1. FIX: Tcl 8.0 hangs on Solstice NFS (PC-NFS) volumes

2. ENVY, OS/2, NFS

3. setting file handles of PC-NFS under WIN95

4. Is PC-NFS ever going to support BIND

5. TopSpeed with SUN PC-NFS

6. PC-NFS 4.0 and TopSpeed Modula-2 v3.10 - problems

7. Q: Unix daemon triggered by drag/drop thru PC-NFS

8. How exporting Parcels From Envy For Non-Envy

9. ENVY Application file in to non-ENVY VisualWorks

10. 3.0 + Envy -> 5i.X + Envy

11. ENVY: No Datasets in envy???

12. Non-Envy from Envy image, how?