Request to vendors re: debugging
Author Message
 Request to vendors re: debugging

Certain changes, usually to the UI, affect, or are affected by the debug
windows. This can cause an image to hang, and make it difficult to find
certain problems.

Would it be possible to set a protected mode in which the GUI de{*filter*}
would behave like a wrapper or external environment, in essence creating
a Smalltalk within Smalltalk?  The outer Smalltalk would provide a
constant environment for debugging, and allow unobtrusive interrogation
of the values in the inner one, as well as
controlling the stepping process.  The inner system could change itself
without affecting the outer one, even to the point of{*filter*}, while
still allowing the outer to dissect and know it's innards. A separate
change log for the inner process could be maintained, so the external
Smalltalk could terminate an internal Smalltalk, create a new internal
Smalltalk (from itself) and apply changes from the log as desired.  And
when the developer has been successful with testing in the inner
Smalltalk, he/she would be able to terminate the
protected mode (leaving only the external Smalltalk), and apply any
desired changes from the log to it.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Request to vendors re: debugging

Quote:

>Certain changes, usually to the UI, affect, or are affected by the debug
>windows. This can cause an image to hang, and make it difficult to find
>certain problems.

My opinion is that this could be addressed by having separate processes
and input queues for each application.  Then if a GUI hung only that app
would be affected.

Plug:
The Smalltalk Professional Debug Package has added additional
commands that assist in freeing a hung image.

Processor debugHungProcess
ScheduledControllers recover

These commands are accessible from the emergency evaluator.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Request to vendors re: debugging
Digitalk, er, I mean PPD, ahhh, Objectshare had this cool development
environment called Firewall. Programs under development always lived
in a different host process space. In fact, the program didn't even have to
reside on the same machine as the development environment. The interface
was reminiscent of projects from ST-80 and Squeak. You enter a program,
you get a set of windows on that environment. The great difference was that
if you made a silly change that broke your program, your development
environment was completely unaffected since it was running in a different
process with a different image. Pretty powerful stuff. There is something
very special that a declarative approach to Smalltalk enables.
Sigh.

John "There's a piece missing in my jigsaw puzzle." Sarkela

Quote:

> Certain changes, usually to the UI, affect, or are affected by the debug
> windows. This can cause an image to hang, and make it difficult to find
> certain problems.

> Would it be possible to set a protected mode in which the GUI de{*filter*}
> would behave like a wrapper or external environment, in essence creating
> a Smalltalk within Smalltalk?  The outer Smalltalk would provide a
> constant environment for debugging, and allow unobtrusive interrogation
> of the values in the inner one, as well as
> controlling the stepping process.  The inner system could change itself
> without affecting the outer one, even to the point of{*filter*}, while
> still allowing the outer to dissect and know it's innards. A separate
> change log for the inner process could be maintained, so the external
> Smalltalk could terminate an internal Smalltalk, create a new internal
> Smalltalk (from itself) and apply changes from the log as desired.  And
> when the developer has been successful with testing in the inner
> Smalltalk, he/she would be able to terminate the
> protected mode (leaving only the external Smalltalk), and apply any
> desired changes from the log to it.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Request to vendors re: debugging
It hath a name.  Yea verily, it shall be called Firewall.
Ask your local ObjectShare rep ...

Paul McDonough
"money is a mass hallucination" - Clark Kent

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Request for a List of Prolog Vendors

2. Request: need map of i/o ports-debugging 3D

3. Win32 - Request for quicky test of new functionality -- attempting to replicate bug for debugging

4. request for info on Prolog debugging systems

5. Debug/Kill + Debug/Run = RB Crash

6. can someone email me Debug.com not debug.exe

7. Debug/Anti-debug/compression help wanted

8. can someone please send me debug.com and not debug.exe

9. LE, SYM,SEPARATE, and debugging withOUT the debug tool

10. debug Python interpreter work with the debug swig dll

11. Python-2.1 Debug libs zip is missing tcl &tk debug libs

12. Debug won't debug