Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior 
Author Message
 Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior

Hi!

I'd like to suggest a slightly different mouse wheel behavior for the
dolphin browser. In all browsers, Dolphin scrolls the list which bears the
focus when you turn the wheel. Other windows applications however scroll the
list under the cursor, regardless whether it has the focus or not. I'd
prefer that behavior.  Perhaps this could be integrated into the next
version of Dolphin?

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Truth Until Paradox



Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:15:27 GMT  
 Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior
Stefan

Quote:

> I'd like to suggest a slightly different mouse wheel behavior for the
> dolphin browser. In all browsers, Dolphin scrolls the list which bears the
> focus when you turn the wheel. Other windows applications however scroll
the
> list under the cursor, regardless whether it has the focus or not. I'd
> prefer that behavior.  Perhaps this could be integrated into the next
> version of Dolphin?

Dolphin does not intervene in the handling of the mouse wheel at all at
present, so the behaviour you are seeing is standard for windows and its
common controls. I'm not sure which particular "other" applications you are
referring to, but they are the exception rather than the rule as far as I
can tell - for example the Windows explorer works in the same way as
Dolphin, as least on Windows 2000. I agree that the behaviour you suggest
makes more sense, but Windows sends the mouse wheel messages to the window
with focus so it is somewhat awkward to correct in a generic way at the
application level.

Regards

Blair



Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:31:43 GMT  
 Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior
Blair,



Quote:
> Dolphin does not intervene in the handling of the mouse wheel at all at
> present, so the behaviour you are seeing is standard for windows and its
> common controls. I'm not sure which particular "other" applications you
are
> referring to, but they are the exception rather than the rule as far as I
> can tell - for example the Windows explorer works in the same way as
> Dolphin, as least on Windows 2000.

Yes, in the meantime I noticed that you're right.  I was referring to
Outlook Express.  That application works as I described and obviously, I
found it so natural that I somehow assumed, that all other applications work
that way. Actually, the JBuilder, a tool I often use these days, works that
way, too.

Quote:
> makes more sense, but Windows sends the mouse wheel messages to the window
> with focus so it is somewhat awkward to correct in a generic way at the
> application level.

Perhaps one could introduce the concept of a hovered child window - the
control the mouse if over. A ShellView would need to become a mouse
enter/mouse exit listener of all of its children and keep track of the
hovered view. Unfortunately, I didn't find that events although I'm pretty
sure that Windows will send them. Now, the ShellView must also become a
mouse wheel listener and redirect that events to the hovered view, but the
focussed one.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Truth Until Paradox



Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:45:39 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Different behavior of get_immediate in different OSs

2. Wheel mouse functionality

3. Looking for a goodie supporting a wheel mouse

4. New Mouse Wheel Support

5. Right click on wheel mouse problem

6. MS wheel mouse and VW 3

7. Problem with mouse wheel and popup under windows

8. support of mouse wheel

9. Mouse wheel and Clarion IDE Solution

10. Problem with wheel mouse on Windows 2000 Pro

11. Mouse Wheel and Clarion PE 5.0

12. bind error when using mouse wheel to scroll in browse

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software