Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)
Author Message
 Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

Archive-name: Smalltalk-faq
Last-modified: 1994/10/4
Version: 4.1

        (This version supercedes the previous one, which had an
"archive-name" bug. Sorry for any inconvenience.  --crl)

This compilation copyright (C) 1994 by Craig Latta. Permission is
hereby granted for noncommercial reuse, subject to the approval of
quoted contributors.

This is a Smalltalk frequently-asked-questions (FAQ) document,

fortnightly to the USENET newsgroups comp.lang.smalltalk and
news.answers.

There now exists a WWW-verison (converted by Henrik Gedenryd) at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Section 0.3 describes all the different ways to get this document.

Please send contributions, suggestions and comments to

Thanks,

-C

Changes

The www version of the FAQ has a history list of changes and addtions,
with links to their locations. Look there to find out what has been
changed.

______________________________ Contents:

0.0) [Meta-issues]

0.1) How can I browse ftp sites and their data without using my own disk space (unless I want to keep data), and locate files on ftp sites, given pathname fragments?
0.2) Is comp.lang.smalltalk archived or available via email? 0.3) Where and how can I get this FAQ?

1.0) [Archival]

1.1) What free or low-cost Smalltalk implementations are there? How can I get GNU Smalltalk?
1.2) What Smalltalk archives are there?

2.0) [Projects]

2.1) What is Smallmusic?
2.2) What is CoolDraw?
2.3) What is SmallDraw?
2.4) What work is being done with neural nets in Smalltalk?

3.0) [References]

3.1) Can someone recommend a good introduction to Model-View-Controller concepts?
3.2) Is there a Smalltalk bibliography?
3.3) What are the "blue book", "purple book", etc? 3.4) Who are some employers of Smalltalk programmers? 3.5) What is the Smalltalk Report?
3.6) Is there a GNU Smalltalk tutorial?
3.7) What's a summary of multiple inheritance in Smalltalk? 3.8) What's the status of the ANSI Smalltalk standardization effort? 3.9) Have there been any studies done on performance differences between complete C++/Smalltalk (specifically ObjectWorks\Smalltalk) applications in terms of runtime and space consumption? 3.10) Where can I learn about the history of Smalltalk? 3.11) How can I get the Smalltalk Resource Guide?

4.0) [Programming issues]

4.1) What are some "classic Smalltalk bugs", both in the system and programmer domains?
4.2) How do I use Pool dictionaries?
4.3) When browsing sources, I see 't1', 't2', etc., instead of semantically relevant variable names. What's going on? 4.4) What happened to >>deepCopy in ParcPlace Smalltalk?

5.0) ["Vendor"-specific issues]

5.1) How compatible is GNU Smalltalk with Smalltalk-80 (or Smalltalk/V)?

5.2)* How do I contact the producers of various Smalltalk implementations?
5.3) How can I get information about HP distributed Smalltalk?

6.0) [Smalltalk implementation issues]

6.1) Is Smalltalk interpreted or compiled?

_________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

0.0) [Meta-issues]

0.1) How can I browse ftp sites and their data without using my own disk space (unless I want to keep data), and locate files on ftp sites, given pathname fragments?

See a separate document in the WWW FAQ.

0.2) Is comp.lang.smalltalk archived or available via email?

Yes:

-----------------------------------cut here---- //
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
Search type & checking in INFO-CLS
print
/*
-----------------------------------and here---- as the body part of the message. On details for more finegrained retrievals, read the doc which is obtainable by sending

GET LISTDB MEMO

as the body part of a mail message to the listserv.

In order to get subscribed, send a mail message to the listserv, containing

SUBSCRIBE Info-CLS Your I. Name

or drop me a note.

I want to add that I'm in the middle of preparing about another years postings for upload (91-92), and am interested in further private loggings for upload.

The archive is also available via gopher, but unfortunately only as monthly chunks - which taaakes aaa looong tiiime to retrieve them. I haven't succeeded yet in convincing the staff at vm.gmd.de to install software which can make single postings available by subject.

On my wishlist is a system written in (GNU) Smalltalk, accessible via TCP/IP, representing some kind of 'remote dictionary'. But that's far in the clouds.

0.3) Where and how can I get this FAQ?

It is (ostensibly) posted fortnightly to the USENET newsgroups comp.lang.smalltalk and news.answers.

There now exists a WWW-verison (by Henrik Gedenryd) at http://www.*-*-*.com/

It is also available by in plain text as ftp://XCF.Berkeley.EDU/pub/misc/smalltalk/FAQ/FAQ.txt. ftp://RTFM.MIT.EDU/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/lang/smalltalk/

_________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

1.0) [Archival]

1.1) What free or low-cost Smalltalk implementations are there? How can I get GNU Smalltalk?

GNU Smalltalk is free. The most current location, to my knowledge, is ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/smalltalk-1.1.1.tar.gz. However, don't use this site. There is a huge load on it, so you can get things much faster from the sites below (selected sites taken from ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/GNUinfo/FTP):

Two out of many US sites:
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/systems/gnu,
archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
And these foreign sites:
ftp.cs.ubc.ca:/mirror2/gnu (Western Canada), ftp.unicamp.br:/pub/gnu (Brazil),
archie.au:/gnu (Australia),
ftp.technion.ac.il:/pub/unsupported/gnu(Israel), ftp.sun.ac.za:/pub/gnu (South Africa),
archive.eu.net:/gnu (Europe),
utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp:/ftpsync/prep(Japan ).

Please do NOT use a site outside your country, until you have checked all sites inside your country, and then your continent. Trans-ocean TCP/IP links are very expensive and usually very low speed.

Little Smalltalk, by Timothy Budd, is available as a book and sources, at bookstores. It is also available as

Version 1 [as in the book]
ftp://ftp.cs.orst.edu/pub/budd/small.v1.tar.Z Version 3 [allegedly slightly better]
ftp://ftp.cs.orst.edu/pub/budd/small.v3.tar

1.2) What Smalltalk archives are there?

There are many. Most of them simply archive GNU smalltalk, but there are also a few large archives containing many interesting and varied sources. All of the sites may be retrieved by invoking 'archie smalltalk' (see section 0.1 on 'archie'). For convenience, descriptions of a few of the archives follow. If you have a site/announcement you'd like included, please let me know.

Location: ftp://XCF.Berkeley.EDU/pub/misc/smalltalk

Vendors' archives:

ParcPlace (ObjectWorks, VisualWorks, etc.)
gopher://parcbench.parcplace.com/11/ParcBenchII QKS (SmalltalkAgents, etc.)
WWW page: http://www.*-*-*.com/ : ftp://ftp.qks.com/pub/
_________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

2.0) [Projects]

2.1) What is Smallmusic?

The abstract and outline to a recent version of our working paper follows. The document is available via ftp as ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/st80/OOMR6.t. (No it isn't! --hg)

Thanks,
Craig Latta

***

Abstract to the working document:

This document describes an object-oriented description language for musical parameters, events and structures known as the Smallmusic Object Kernel (SmOKe) . In object-oriented software terms, the representation is described in terms of software class hierarchies of objects that share state and behavior and implement the description language as their protocol.

The authors believe this representation, and its proposed linear ASCII description in Smalltalk-80 syntax, to be well-suited as a basis for: (1) concrete description languages in other languages, (2) specially-designed binary storage and interchange formats, and (3) use within and between interactive multi-media, hypermedia applications in several application domains.

There is an ...

read more »

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 01:17:32 GMT

http://XCF.Berkeley.EDU/misc/smalltalk/FAQ.

There now exists a WWW-verison (by Henrik Gedenryd) at http://XCF.Berkeley.EDU/misc/smalltalk/FAQ.

WWW page: http://www.qks.com/../netresources.f/netresources.html FTP directly: ftp://ftp.qks.com/pub/
_________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

[...]

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 01:20:15 GMT

1. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

2. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

3. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

4. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

5. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

6. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

7. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

8. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

9. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

10. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

11. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)

12. Smalltalk Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)