MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
Author Message
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

A User can start multiple sessions from a single machine, and so even
if they have their own user profile where application data can be
saved, other system files such as the VSE error.log file will probably
endup being shared, since it will reside in the installation
directory, which is probably not too good.

Unless, I can get VSE to put these files in the User's directory... At
this stage I am looking to see if anybody has used this product and
what kind of experience they had.

Thanks

Adonis Ioannou

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
Adonis,
we had a similar problem with VisualAge's walkback.log
when we investigated terminal servers.  This file is generated
during runtime when there is a walkback, and placed be default
in the install directory.  Multiple users would have to share this
file.

My approach to this problem was to get VA to change the name
of the file to walkbackXXXXX.log, where XXXXX is the login ID
of the current user.  This way each user gets their own file.

Perhaps something similar could be done for VSE?

Hope this helps.
Julian Ford

Quote:

>Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
>of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
>and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

>A User can start multiple sessions from a single machine, and so even
>if they have their own user profile where application data can be
>saved, other system files such as the VSE error.log file will probably
>endup being shared, since it will reside in the installation
>directory, which is probably not too good.

>Unless, I can get VSE to put these files in the User's directory... At
>this stage I am looking to see if anybody has used this product and
>what kind of experience they had.

>Thanks

>Adonis Ioannou

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
We just installed Terminal Server last week to see how our VSE application
works on it, so we don't have much experience with it, but as far as I know
our application ran fine.  The testers did not, however, try running
multiple sessions.  I'll mention it to them.

On a related note, we have several customers who now run our application on
Citrix servers.  They've only been installed for a couple of months, but
everything seems to work well.

As far as sharing the error log, why would that be a problem?  We have many
customers running shared installations of our application over a network,
which should be essentially the same thing.

John
--
tec4 systems inc.
"The right tools to manage your commercial insurance lines."

Quote:
> Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
> of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
> and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

> A User can start multiple sessions from a single machine, and so even
> if they have their own user profile where application data can be
> saved, other system files such as the VSE error.log file will probably
> endup being shared, since it will reside in the installation
> directory, which is probably not too good.

> Unless, I can get VSE to put these files in the User's directory... At
> this stage I am looking to see if anybody has used this product and
> what kind of experience they had.

> Thanks

> Adonis Ioannou

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Quote:
> My approach to this problem was to get VA to change the name
> of the file to walkbackXXXXX.log, where XXXXX is the login ID
> of the current user.  This way each user gets their own file.

I've approached this problem either logging the date and user info onto the
same walkback.log and then switching to a fixed path ...\"user"\... and a
walkback name extracted from Date today (yyyymmdd.log).

Best regards

    Davide
---
Ing. Davide Grandi

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Quote:

>We just installed Terminal Server last week to see how our VSE application
>works on it, so we don't have much experience with it, but as far as I know
>our application ran fine.  The testers did not, however, try running
>multiple sessions.  I'll mention it to them.

>On a related note, we have several customers who now run our application on
>Citrix servers.  They've only been installed for a couple of months, but
>everything seems to work well.

>As far as sharing the error log, why would that be a problem?  We have many
>customers running shared installations of our application over a network,
>which should be essentially the same thing.

Suppose user A gets a runtime error, and by the time they send me the
log, another user gets a runtime error. Then the last error recorded
is not the one I should be looking at, but the one before. It's true
that you don't lose the info but it can get a bit confusing. I believe
that with the Terminal server, you can change the default open/save
locations, so if that's the case that shouldn't be an issue.

Do you guys use the Windows Registry at all, or do you just use
configuration files? I have not used the Registry before but it looks
like it's an alternative to using configuration files. I was doing
some exploration the other day, and VSE seemed to work fine on my
WIN95 machine at home, but got a few glitches on the NT machine at
work.

Quote:

>John
>--
>tec4 systems inc.
>"The right tools to manage your commercial insurance lines."

>> Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
>> of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
>> and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

>> A User can start multiple sessions from a single machine, and so even
>> if they have their own user profile where application data can be
>> saved, other system files such as the VSE error.log file will probably
>> endup being shared, since it will reside in the installation
>> directory, which is probably not too good.

>> Unless, I can get VSE to put these files in the User's directory... At
>> this stage I am looking to see if anybody has used this product and
>> what kind of experience they had.

>> Thanks

>> Adonis Ioannou

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Quote:

> Suppose user A gets a runtime error, and by the time they send me the
> log, another user gets a runtime error. Then the last error recorded
> is not the one I should be looking at, but the one before. It's true
> that you don't lose the info but it can get a bit confusing. I believe
> that with the Terminal server, you can change the default open/save
> locations, so if that's the case that shouldn't be an issue.

Okay, if you want to keep entries from each user separate, you'll need to do
something else.  We modified SystemDictionary>>logError: to include the
operator's name with each entry.

Quote:

> Do you guys use the Windows Registry at all, or do you just use
> configuration files? I have not used the Registry before but it looks
> like it's an alternative to using configuration files. I was doing
> some exploration the other day, and VSE seemed to work fine on my
> WIN95 machine at home, but got a few glitches on the NT machine at
> work.

From Smalltalk, we use the registry only to a limited extent, for COM.  It
works fine for what we're doing.

John
--
tec4 systems inc.
"Policy Works - The right tools to manage your commercial insurance lines."

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

Quote:
> Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
> of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
> and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

Our VSE based products run across Terminal Server without serious issues

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
I have used the Registry to store certain user-specific information.
Totally Objects (http://www.totallyobjects.com/) has a product
for VAST to access the Registry using an API similar to a
Dictionary.  It is very reasonably priced, but I'm not sure if they
have a VSE version (They might be tempted to port it for you).

Julian Ford

Quote:

>>We just installed Terminal Server last week to see how our VSE application
>>works on it, so we don't have much experience with it, but as far as I
know
>>our application ran fine.  The testers did not, however, try running
>>multiple sessions.  I'll mention it to them.

>>On a related note, we have several customers who now run our application
on
>>Citrix servers.  They've only been installed for a couple of months, but
>>everything seems to work well.

>>As far as sharing the error log, why would that be a problem?  We have
many
>>customers running shared installations of our application over a network,
>>which should be essentially the same thing.
>Suppose user A gets a runtime error, and by the time they send me the
>log, another user gets a runtime error. Then the last error recorded
>is not the one I should be looking at, but the one before. It's true
>that you don't lose the info but it can get a bit confusing. I believe
>that with the Terminal server, you can change the default open/save
>locations, so if that's the case that shouldn't be an issue.

>Do you guys use the Windows Registry at all, or do you just use
>configuration files? I have not used the Registry before but it looks
>like it's an alternative to using configuration files. I was doing
>some exploration the other day, and VSE seemed to work fine on my
>WIN95 machine at home, but got a few glitches on the NT machine at
>work.

>>John
>>--
>>tec4 systems inc.
>>"The right tools to manage your commercial insurance lines."

>>> Is anybody running a VSE written app using the Terminal Server Edition
>>> of NT 4.0. The Terminal Server Edition allows thin clients to access
>>> and execute application using the Server's resources(memory, cpu etc).

>>> A User can start multiple sessions from a single machine, and so even
>>> if they have their own user profile where application data can be
>>> saved, other system files such as the VSE error.log file will probably
>>> endup being shared, since it will reside in the installation
>>> directory, which is probably not too good.

>>> Unless, I can get VSE to put these files in the User's directory... At
>>> this stage I am looking to see if anybody has used this product and
>>> what kind of experience they had.

>>> Thanks

>>> Adonis Ioannou

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. MS Windows NT Server 4.0 - Terminal Server Edition

2. RexxGMSQ just released---IBM Object Rexx---MS SQL Server APIs for MS Windows NT

3. Windows Nt Server 4.0

4. SNA Server - Windows NT 4.0

5. Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

6. HELP:MF COBOL 1.2 ON Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP3)

7. Micro Focus COBOL for Windows 95 and NT Server 4.0

8. PROBLEM WITH MS-DOS CLIENT FOR WINDOWS NT SERVER

9. Terminal Server 4.0 AND Citrix Problem

10. Slow multiuser access to Clarion 4.0 tps files on Win2000 terminal server

11. NT Terminal Server and Clipper

12. Printing on a NT terminal server through a router on a remote printer