flood of posts yesterday
Author Message
 flood of posts yesterday

I've noticed that comp.lang.Smalltalk received tens of thousands of
posts for the day 7/29/1999 alone.  I recognized some of the posts to be
ones that were made years ago.  As anyone else noticed this? in other
newsgroups?

- alexis

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flood of posts yesterday

Quote:
> I've noticed that comp.lang.smalltalk received tens of thousands of
> posts for the day 7/29/1999 alone.  I recognized some of the posts to be
> ones that were made years ago.  As anyone else noticed this? in other
> newsgroups?

Yes. It happened in several newsgroups - although the affected ones may have
been those that were hit by messages cross posted here.

-Eric

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 flood of posts yesterday

As someone else pointed out, all the reposts came from 207.245.35.35.

A reverse whois search (http://www.arin.net/whois/) shows the owner of
that address to be Newcastle Capital Management, a very large Canadian
mutual fund company. Presumably it was unintentional, not malicious.

Anyone from Newcastle care to shed some light?

--Bob

Quote:

> I've noticed that comp.lang.smalltalk received tens of thousands of
> posts for the day 7/29/1999 alone.  I recognized some of the posts to be
> ones that were made years ago.  As anyone else noticed this? in other
> newsgroups?

> - alexis

  bob.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. IRC FLOOD.U / TROJAN FLOOD.U

2. Help: YESTERDAY's DATE

3. It seemed only like yesterday...

4. Yesterday - by The Beates

5. I got my Labview 6.1 yesterday - AWESOME

6. Received 5.3 box yesterday

7. yesterday on OS/2 warp3

8. YESTERDAY's date

9. Yesterday