COM event source example/framework?
Author Message
 COM event source example/framework?

Hi Blair,

Scott's recent questions reminded me of a non-related suggestion that I
don't think ever made it to the newsgroup (appologies if I mentioned this
before).  I suspect that part of why people build custom event systems over
using connectable objects is that the latter is a little tricky, or at least
seems that way.  You've made sinking events as brain-dead simple (and
elegant!) as it could be, but I don't see a counterpart for making an event
source.  Am I missing it?  Is there room for a sample or reusable
implementation?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:00:39 GMT
 COM event source example/framework?

Quote:
> Hi Blair,

> Scott's recent questions reminded me of a non-related suggestion that I
> don't think ever made it to the newsgroup (appologies if I mentioned this
> before).  I suspect that part of why people build custom event systems
over
> using connectable objects is that the latter is a little tricky, or at
least
> seems that way.  You've made sinking events as brain-dead simple (and
> elegant!) as it could be, but I don't see a counterpart for making an
event
> source.  Am I missing it?  Is there room for a sample or reusable
> implementation?

You're right, there isn't a generic event source implementation and it would
be useful. I agree it seems tricky, but this is (I think) because the system
is somewhat over designed and has too many objects or too many levels of
indirection (I don't remember quite which). It basically involves
implementing IConnectionPointContainer and IConnectionPoint container.
Firing the events is just a matter of calling out (from the Dolphin server)
through the client-supplied event interfaces, which is exactly the same as
calling any other COM interface (usually just IDispatch for events), and so
that is already fully supported. Implementing the connection point
interfaces involves some fairly simple collection management, so ought to be
pretty easy. I'll add an enhancement request.

Regards

Blair

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:02:34 GMT

1. Nice .COM SOURCE EXAMPLE ..

2. Catch COM events generated by a Python COM server with Visual Basic

3. Creating a new event source in the TCL event loop

4. My framework cul-de-sac and how do I create Collections with events

5. Apple Events in the Framework?

6. ANN: Twisted 0.11.0, an event-based framework for internet applications

7. ANN: Twisted 0.11.0, an event-based framework for internet applications

8. COAST groupware framework available open source

9. A directory walking framework (source attached).

10. Question about Event Handler example

11. Looking for simple thread example using Events

12. Tk resize events (here's the example)