Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
Author Message
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

see http://www.*-*-*.com/

I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
The page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps even MS can be embarassed
when they pile it too deep?
Quote:

> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

Quote:

> The link didn't work for me either, using Netscape. So I tried it in IE.
> And there it works...

> Roland

Well it has continued to work for me--all day-- and I'm using
Netscape...

Cheers,
John

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
Hmm, the page works for me.  It looks like Visual Toy will finally
become truly OO.  I wonder how they're going to mess it up, though.

John

Quote:
> The page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps even MS can be embarassed
> when they pile it too deep?

> > see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> > I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

Quote:

>The page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps even MS can be embarassed
>when they pile it too deep?

No, it exists and is quite interesting.

A.L.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
The link didn't work for me either, using Netscape. So I tried it in IE.
And there it works...

Roland

Quote:

> > >The page seems to have disappeared. Perhaps even MS can be
> > embarassed
> > >when they pile it too deep?

> > No, it exists and is quite interesting.

> > A.L.

> Hmm, it doesn't seem to exist for me either.  When I click on the
> link, I get a page with the following text:

> The file you requested could not be found

> The page you tried to reach does not exist on the Visual Studio web
> site. You may have entered the
>  location incorrectly, or it may have been moved or deleted.

> The Visual Studio navigation bar on the left contains links that can
> help you find what you are looking
> for or allow you to search the site. You also can browse our site from
> the Visual Studio Home Page.

>  You can use the Visual Studio Site Map to get an overview of our site
> at a glance.

> If you feel that you have reached this page in error and would like to
> comment on our site, please write
> us.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

Quote:
> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Hmmm... I've got a feeling that they're going to compile VB to Java
bytecodes. It's really Java with Basic-ish syntax.

Paolo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

Quote:
> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Hmmm... I've got a feeling that they're going to compile VB to Java
bytecodes. It's really Java with Basic-ish syntax.

Paolo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
:>
:> The link didn't work for me either, using Netscape. So I tried it in IE.
:> And there it works...
:>
:> Roland

: Well it has continued to work for me--all day-- and I'm using
: Netscape...

I am using Netscape 4.51 on Linux and (I think) 4.6 on
Solaris. Neither has worked for me, trying severa; trying several
times throughout the day.

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

> Why doesn't Microsoft just buy VSE and market the hell out of it. That
>should ruffle a few feathers (Sun and IBM come to mind).

> Or better yet, if the current owners of VSE (whoever they may be) are
>not planning any new developments for the product, why don't they just
>give it away or sell it really cheap on condition that MS releases it as
>a product and not merely bury it. :-) :-) :-)

>Jun

>> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

>> I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
Well, I tried a half-dozen times over the past 2 days with Navigator 4.7
from Windows NT and it never worked. But I just tried with IE and of
course it worked.

browser is used whether or not a page can be found???

Quote:

> see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
Oh, I bet there will be a lot of more problems more basic (hahaha) than
that! Hmm. Nothing like taking a batch of code with ON ERR GOTO {*filter*}and
adding in a few exception handlers here and there. It'll probably be
single inheritance--period, not even multiple inheritance of
interfaces--and with no decent delegation support. The class library
will be a total mess.

They'll take all (well probably only most, or maybe even just a small
part) of the power of Java and combine it with the
multitude of subtle and complex features interactions and conflicts from
C++. The worst (or "MS best") of both worlds!

Heck, I bet if there's any really bad features in Smalltalk, they'll
find them and include them in VOOB (Visual Object-Oriented BASIC).

Quote:

> They'll probably mess it up via forced static typing.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
I've been having the same experience, Netscape-wise.  I haven't tried
IE.  However, I just got in with Netscape 4.7.  So, either they fixed
their bug or they've been listening in on the newsgroup...

-Christopher

Quote:

> Well, I tried a half-dozen times over the past 2 days with Navigator 4.7
> from Windows NT and it never worked. But I just tried with IE and of
> course it worked.

> browser is used whether or not a page can be found???

> > see http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/language.asp

> > I'm not promoting it, just think it's remarkable.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"

Folks !!! Look at this !!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/webforms.asp

For million programmers this will be exciting new technology !!!
MS Thechology is superb  ;-)).

P.S Can anyone  mention when was the first VWave release ?.

KA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic to go "Object Oriented"
I have developed in Smalltalk and Visual Basic and all I have to say is

SHUT UP

Smalltalk is a *WONDERFUL* language, and is an extremely fun and rewarding
environment in which to develop applications (especially compared to Visual
Basic).  However, that does not make it a choice target for mindless
thrashing based on misguided, reverse logic.  VB is not Smalltalk.  It does
not claim (nor has it ever "really" claimed) to be completely Object
Oriented.  Again, this is no reason to bash it.

My first question for you is "Why is VB the single most popular development
languages for IT shops?".  Before my consulting days, we used Smalltalk to
develop applications, and it behaved just fine.  We switched to VB for 3
simple reasons:

1.  Time to Market,
2.  Learning Curve,
3.  Speed.

When most of the world complains about how SLOW VB is, it is a shame that
Smalltalk has to fall behind VB in its performance.  True, this was several
years ago, and I am not a current Smalltalk programmer, so I hope that
things have changed.  VB has matured into a product that is more than
capable of handling most any business application, including deployment in
the Back Office (as COM servers), the Middle Tier (as Business Services) and
in the Front Office (as Client/Server applications).  With the addition of
the WebForms and WebServices technology, this extends the ability of the
average VB programmer to apply their skills and knowledge to the web.

Second question:  "Do VB programs ever crash? " Yep - just as often as
poorly written Smalltalk applications.

Last comment:  because of the reasons I listed above, I have been a more
successful VB programmer than I ever was a Smalltalk programmer - not
because of application quality, but because of my ability to meet their
(sometimes insane) requirements of "Time to Market" and all of the required
mentoring  (a.k.a. "Learning Curve").  They are not interested in how "OO" I
can make their application, just how well I can meet the requirements.

Quote:
> [...]

> anObject isNil
> IfTrue:[...]

> VB
> If Not anObject is Nothing Then
> EndIf

> Calls to a subroutine don't have parens for arguments, calls to
> functions do. Seting a variable defined (Dim) as Long looks like this:

> longVar := 1

> But God help you if the variable is an object:

> Set anObject = new clsClass

> I can't wait to see how they absolutely destroy all remaining syntactic
> logic in VB by going full on objects.

> And did they mention anything about having garbage collection? Right now
> they only have a reference counting mechanism (which in my book is 3
> generations old and is really only garbage reclamation). I wonder if
> they will add the ability to find all objects that refernce an
> object - can't do that today - GOOD LUCK finding memory leaks.

> But it will be a success, because VB appeal to programmers who are more
> interested in knowing some minor detail from VB 3.0 (that is still
> available in VB 6). These guys want to spend all their time working on
> controls. They also seem to create functions that are in direct
> preportion
> to the size of the monitor they are useing. The VB arhitecture on our
> project was desinged by a good programmer (with Smalltalk experience).
> We
> bring in VB programmer off the street and they freak when they see
> functions or
> subroutines that have 5 or less lines. We coined a name for them on our
> project.
> They are all members of the

> KOOKS - Keepers Of Odd Knowlede Society

> In their defense, the IDE does not help them much. You cant find out all
> the
> senders of a method (without resorting to a text search of the project -
> but if you have OCXs you have to searth them separately).

> Brad Cote

> The only thing VB is good for is billable hours. The only problem is, so
> many people (think) they know it that the billing rate is pathetic.

> > Oh, I bet there will be a lot of more problems more basic (hahaha) than
> > that! Hmm. Nothing like taking a batch of code with ON ERR GOTO {*filter*}and
> > adding in a few exception handlers here and there. It'll probably be
> > single inheritance--period, not even multiple inheritance of
> > interfaces--and with no decent delegation support. The class library
> > will be a total mess.

> > They'll take all (well probably only most, or maybe even just a small
> > part) of the power of Java and combine it with the
> > multitude of subtle and complex features interactions and conflicts from
> > C++. The worst (or "MS best") of both worlds!

> > Heck, I bet if there's any really bad features in Smalltalk, they'll
> > find them and include them in VOOB (Visual Object-Oriented BASIC).

> > > They'll probably mess it up via forced static typing.

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. "Object-Oriented Software Construction", 2nd edition

2. "Object-Oriented Applications": publication announcement (long)

3. "Object-Oriented Applications": publication announcement (long)

4. Is Visual Basic Object Oriented?

5. Is Visual Basic Object Oriented?

6. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

7. The "father of object-oriented technology" and "new trend software"

8. The "father of object-oriented technology" and "new trend software"

9. Dolphin "To Go"

10. Time to go "moderated"?

11. "Soc": Syntax-Oriented Coding

12. more on [matz:"Human Oriented Programming"?]