What's the bottom line?
Author Message
 What's the bottom line?

I have been evaluating several languages for the company I work for and
Smalltalk is one of them. Other languages have been Visual Basic and Java.
Other than spending a few days with the VW 2.0 tutorial (in book form) with
the VW non-commercial version, I have no other experience with ST. I have
found the language to be extremely powerful, flexible and open. I have also
found the language to be a complete paradigm shift from conventional
programming, which brings me to my point. If I choose Smalltalk...

What kind of formal training is there for my developers?

What kind of support can I expect?

And most importantly: Can ST be used to develop just the presentation
software so that our business applications do not have to change? This would
require that ST be able to communicate with our jBASE database thru
Microsofts DCOM model. We have investigated this with Visual Basic and found
that the following procedure will "link" VB with our database thru the DLLs
supplied by jBASE. Please review this snippet of documentation from the
jBASE manual and advise if there is a Smalltalk equivalent for this:

================Start Documentation=====================
The jBase object represents the jBase engine. As the top-level object, it
contains and controls all other objects in the hierarchy of objects.

The jBase object is used to open files and to perform certain jBase
operations on the built-in types.
For ease of maintainability you are advised to use the name jB for all
references to the jBase object. This documentation will use jB whenever a
reference is made to the jBase object

CREATION:

To create the jBase object from an early binding controller such as Visual
Basic 4.0, use the following VB statement:

Public jB As New jBase

Alternately, when using a late binding controller such as VBA then use:

Public jB As Object
Set jB = CreateObject("OBjEX.jBaseObject.3")
===================End Documentation====================

We need to make a decision fairly quickly to bring our developers "up to
steam".

If you need further information, feel free to call me to discuss or send
email with your questions/concerns.

Thanks for your patience and advise.

Daniel Klein

Work: 216-587-3070
Home: 330-463-3520

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What's the bottom line?

Quote:

> What kind of formal training is there for my developers?

Depends.  ObjectShare (as well as other vendors) offer formal training.  There
are books you can buy as well (For VisualWorks, I highly recommend "The Art and
Science of Smalltalk" by Simon Lewis.

Quote:

> What kind of support can I expect?

This community, for one.  Also the support of the vendor you buy from, for
another

Quote:

> And most importantly: Can ST be used to develop just the presentation
> software so that our business applications do not have to change? This would
> require that ST be able to communicate with our jBASE database thru
> Microsofts DCOM model. We have investigated this with Visual Basic and found
> that the following procedure will "link" VB with our database thru the DLLs
> supplied by jBASE. Please review this snippet of documentation from the
> jBASE manual and advise if there is a Smalltalk equivalent for this:

VisualWorks provides COM/DCOM connectivity, and the COM Connect product ships
with a VB example.
There are people doing this in production.
Quote:

> Daniel Klein

> Work: 216-587-3070
> Home: 330-463-3520

  jamesr.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What's the bottom line?

Quote:

> > What kind of formal training is there for my developers?

> Depends.  ObjectShare (as well as other vendors) offer formal training.  There
> are books you can buy as well (For VisualWorks, I highly recommend "The Art and
> Science of Smalltalk" by Simon Lewis.

> > What kind of support can I expect?

> This community, for one.  Also the support of the vendor you buy from, for
> another

Additionally, you can also choose from a large pool of qualified
consultants to help your project start on the right foot and guide you
towards success.

-George

George F. Santamarina
gsanta at mindspring dot com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What's the bottom line?

Quote:

>programming, which brings me to my point. If I choose Smalltalk...

>What kind of formal training is there for my developers?

I'm sure the vendors have courses, as well as various independent companies,
including ourselves.

Quote:
>What kind of support can I expect?

You get vendor support, which I think is comparable to anything else, plus
there's quite an active community.

Quote:
>And most importantly: Can ST be used to develop just the presentation
>software so that our business applications do not have to change? This would
>require that ST be able to communicate with our jBASE database thru
>Microsofts DCOM model. We have investigated this with Visual Basic and found
>that the following procedure will "link" VB with our database thru the DLLs
>supplied by jBASE. Please review this snippet of documentation from the
>jBASE manual and advise if there is a Smalltalk equivalent for this:

I know nothing about jBASE, but VisualWorks has a COM connect product which
sounds appropriate, and VisualAge has built-in OLE/COM support, plus there are
third-party products such as Unity's "Auto Parts" which provide additional
support and make it easier to use. That seems likely to provide what you need.

--

The Object People                       http://www.objectpeople.com
613.225.8812(v) 613.225.5943(f)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What's the bottom line?
Daniel,
here are some possible answers.

Daniel Klein schrieb:

Quote:
> I have been evaluating several languages for the company I work for
> and
> Smalltalk is one of them. Other languages have been Visual Basic and
> Java.
> Other than spending a few days with the VW 2.0 tutorial (in book form)
> with
> the VW non-commercial version, I have no other experience with ST. I
> have
> found the language to be extremely powerful, flexible and open.

If you want to have an idea how productive ST can be, have a look at my
paper an:www.gmo.at/oopsla97.htm

Quote:
> I have also
> found the language to be a complete paradigm shift from conventional
> programming, which brings me to my point. If I choose Smalltalk...

> What kind of formal training is there for my developers?

We have made good experiences with "The Object People" and their
courses.

Quote:
> What kind of support can I expect?

This depends on the vendor. We use IBM's VisualAge Smalltalk and found
anything we needed in the internet and in ibm.software.vasmalltalk at
news.software.ibm.com

Quote:
> And most importantly: Can ST be used to develop just the presentation
> software so that our business applications do not have to change? This
> would
> require that ST be able to communicate with our jBASE database thru
> Microsofts DCOM model.

Since ST (at least VAST) supports COM, you should also able to use DCOM.
We found it rather easy to include third-party Active/X controls into
our applications.

Gerald D. Zincke
GMO GmbH

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What's the bottom line?

Gerald D.Zincke schrieb:

Quote:
> Daniel,
> here are some possible answers.

> Daniel Klein schrieb:

> > I have been evaluating several languages for the company I work for
> > and
> > Smalltalk is one of them. Other languages have been Visual Basic and

> > Java.
> > Other than spending a few days with the VW 2.0 tutorial (in book
> form)
> > with
> > the VW non-commercial version, I have no other experience with ST. I

> > have
> > found the language to be extremely powerful, flexible and open.

> If you want to have an idea how productive ST can be, have a look at
> my
> paper an:www.gmo.at/oopsla97.htm

Sorry I just discovered that the link is broken. But I can send it by
mail if you like

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. What's the bottom line?

2. console app vs *.com (bottom line diff!)

3. Bottom Line

4. front panel should maximize but it's always moved to the bottom

5. Break line across lines (not in '[]' or '{}')?

6. Draggable Editfield 'Dividing Line'?

7. LabView 5.1.1, 'Failure: "linker.c", line 1825': Please Help

8. An 'How-To' On-Line Resource

9. File reading and line continuation with '\'

10. Driving 'x' on a line

11. A 'How-To' On-Line Resource

12. Python equivalent to @lines = 'command';