on GC messages...
Author Message
 on GC messages...

I am lookiing for information about how to setup a situation
where an object that is about to be gc'ed will have a method
called.

I think it has something to do with the executor and finalize
methods in the Object class.

I want to clean up processes in the object before it gets gc'ed.

Any help would be appriciated, please email me direct.

Thanks,
Leon.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 on GC messages...

I'm a little rusty at this, but I think what you want is to get what PP
calls a 'weak' reference to the object.  The characteristic of a weak
reference is that the existence of the reference does not prevent the
object referenced from being GC'd.  In addition, the weak reference is
guaranteed to receive a notification both prior to and just after garbage
collection.  This is reasonably well documented in the manuals that came
with the 2.5.1 upgrade.
Hope this helps
Mike

Quote:
> I am lookiing for information about how to setup a situation
> where an object that is about to be gc'ed will have a method
> called.

> I think it has something to do with the executor and finalize
> methods in the Object class.

> I want to clean up processes in the object before it gets gc'ed.

> Any help would be appriciated, please email me direct.

> Thanks,
> Leon.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. turn gc messages cmucl

2. early message gc(sorry)

3. GC, and objects finalization (was: GC,again)

4. GC and Aging, GC and Allocator Surveys available

5. To GC or not to GC?

6. Replace standard MESSAGE function in C4 with own message function

7. How to mapp clarion message to my message procedure

8. output color message (text) to a message box (string)

9. output color message (text) to a message box (string)

10. How to retrive forwarded message from multipart message body

11. 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC

12. real-time & generational GC (free incremental GC, too)