Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Author Message
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux

After reading this rather uninformative installation instruction from
the install.pdf file, could someone please tell me what the
environmental variable is that sets the home directory for VW?

Page 18 of the install manual:
"On Windows systems, the VisualWorks Home is saved in the system
registry. On UNIX and Linux systems, it needs to be set in a system
variable, as described in an information screen at the end
of the installation."

I have already installed to Windows and am networking from a linux
box.  I am not planning on doing a reinstall.  I find that 'home'
won't stay set from inside vw, so I have to set an environmental
variable (I suppose, from reading the manual).

-- doug edmunds

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:24:36 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Hello,  I just installed under Linux a few days ago

This is from memory (I just rebooted to W2000):
Try setting VISUALWORKS_HOME

-Mark

--Mark Watson
--Java consulting, Open Source and Content: www.markwatson.com

Quote:
> After reading this rather uninformative installation instruction from
> the install.pdf file, could someone please tell me what the
> environmental variable is that sets the home directory for VW?

> Page 18 of the install manual:
> "On Windows systems, the VisualWorks Home is saved in the system
> registry. On UNIX and Linux systems, it needs to be set in a system
> variable, as described in an information screen at the end
> of the installation."

> I have already installed to Windows and am networking from a linux
> box.  I am not planning on doing a reinstall.  I find that 'home'
> won't stay set from inside vw, so I have to set an environmental
> variable (I suppose, from reading the manual).

> -- doug edmunds

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:45:41 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Hi:

In Linux, I set $VISUALWORKS to <path to the directory>/vw5i.3.  I also add
$VISUALWORKS/bin/linux86 to my $PATH.  Works for me. ;-)

If you are using SAMBA and mount you c:\ drive to /mnt/windows/c, and vw is
in the vw5i.3 directory on c:, I would set the VISUALWORKS in my .profile
or equivalent thusly (assumes bash is your shell):

export VISUALWORKS=/mnt/windows/c/vw5i.3

This should work.  I don't use samba, so I can't say for sure.  It works
for nfs, though.

Good luck and feel free to post questions!

Quote:

--
Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:41:38 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Quote:

> Hi:

> In Linux, I set $VISUALWORKS to <path to the directory>/vw5i.3.  I also add
> $VISUALWORKS/bin/linux86 to my $PATH.  Works for me. ;-)

[...]

What configuration are people using that have multiple VW versions
installed?

At the moment I switch the variable by hand, what I would really want is
a linux equivalent of VisualWorks.exe that detects the version of the
image and starts the correct VM.

Has anybody hacked something like that together?
Which bytes of the image are used to detect the version?

Thanks!

Reinout
-------

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:50:54 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Hi,

I always start VW with a shell script that is in my path. This script
exports the VISULAWORKS env var, cds to the directory where the image is
and launch VW using the full path of the VM.
It takes 2 mn to create or modify the script for each new image and you
have full control on what happen.

Bye

Gael

Quote:

> What configuration are people using that have multiple VW versions
> installed?

> At the moment I switch the variable by hand, what I would really want is
> a linux equivalent of VisualWorks.exe that detects the version of the
> image and starts the correct VM.

> Has anybody hacked something like that together?
> Which bytes of the image are used to detect the version?

Gael de Chalendar
LIMSI/CNRS, BP 133, 91 403 Orsay Cedex (France)
Tel : 01 69 85 80 04 / 06 14 77 92 11
Fax : 01 69 85 80 88

Web : http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/gael/

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:13:24 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux
Hi:

I do the same.  I run (at least) 4 versions of VW.

Quote:

> Hi,

> I always start VW with a shell script that is in my path. This script
> exports the VISULAWORKS env var, cds to the directory where the image is
> and launch VW using the full path of the VM.
> It takes 2 mn to create or modify the script for each new image and you
> have full control on what happen.

> Bye

> Gael

> > What configuration are people using that have multiple VW versions
> > installed?

> > At the moment I switch the variable by hand, what I would really want is
> > a linux equivalent of VisualWorks.exe that detects the version of the
> > image and starts the correct VM.

> > Has anybody hacked something like that together?
> > Which bytes of the image are used to detect the version?

> --
> Gael de Chalendar
> LIMSI/CNRS, BP 133, 91 403 Orsay Cedex (France)
> Tel : 01 69 85 80 04 / 06 14 77 92 11
> Fax : 01 69 85 80 88

> Web : http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/gael/

--
Thanks!!

Joseph Bacanskas [|]
Software Engineer, Smalltalk
Brokat Technologies (GemStone)

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:10:52 GMT
 Environmental variable for vw home on linux

Quote:

> > Hi:

> > In Linux, I set $VISUALWORKS to <path to the directory>/vw5i.3.  I also add
> > $VISUALWORKS/bin/linux86 to my $PATH.  Works for me. ;-)

> [...]

> What configuration are people using that have multiple VW versions
> installed?

> At the moment I switch the variable by hand, what I would really want is
> a linux equivalent of VisualWorks.exe that detects the version of the
> image and starts the correct VM.

Peter Hatch has written one.  Expect it to be included with vw5i.4,
which should be released some time mid-year.  You could ask him for the
source up front, though.

Quote:

--
_______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:14:41 GMT

1. VW 4.1 and Environmental Variables

2. Setting DOS environmental variable

3. Environmental Variable

4. Environmental variables in Rexx program (NT)

5. Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup

6. Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup

7. Environmental variables

8. Environmental Variables in LE COBOL on an IBM mainframe

9. Environmental Variable from MF COBOL

10. Setting environmental variables from f77

11. Environmental variable $PYTHONPATH

12. Command Line Arguments & Environmental Variables