Turbo Pascal and OS/2
Author Message
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one to
develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any information
on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?

Frank Filz

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

|> I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one to
|> develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any information
|> on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?

It has been a while since I heard from  that project (I have the files
lying around somewhere, don't know if there are any later versions
though, nor where I did get them..)

As far as I can remember you need Borland Pascal, not Turbo Pascal, though.
It also generates 16bit code only.

If you are still interested and noone else comes up with pointers to
the file locations, I can send you the ones I have, email me.

If you don't have BP you might as well check out some of the OS/2 Pascal
compilers. Virtual Pascal and Speed Pascal both are TP clones (and going
for Delphi clones in the next release). I personally use Virtual Pascal
and it is an exact duplicate of TP, with OS/2 specific extensions (like
multithreading..).

They both have demo versions available, the URLs are :

http://www.fprint.co.uk/vpascal

http://194.235.91.201:80/speed/

http://www.tmt.com/

TMT also makes an OS/2 TP clone (plus a DOS version), they too have a demo
version available for download.

 -Mike

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

Quote:

writes:
>|> I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one

>|> develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any
informatio
>|> on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?

>It has been a while since I heard from  that project (I have the files
>lying around somewhere, don't know if there are any later versions
>though, nor where I did get them..)

>As far as I can remember you need Borland Pascal, not Turbo Pascal, though.
>It also generates 16bit code only.

>If you are still interested and noone else comes up with pointers to
>the file locations, I can send you the ones I have, email me.

I do have Borland Pascal (and also TP 6.0 and Delphi 1.0 and Delphi 2.0...)

Frank

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce
presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
: computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
: right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce
: presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
: to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...

Are you trying to start an operaing system war here? In case anyone is
tempted to respond to the statement about OS/2's alleged "instability", it
would seem more appropriate to take the discussion to a .advocacy group!

The Chief
--------
Dr. A{*filter*}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 2.91 for Win16 and Win32:
           Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
            http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one
: to develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any
: information on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?

For 16-bit programs, get the BP4OS2 patch;
        bp7_os2.zip
        bpos2v2.zip

For 32-bit programs, you need any of these;
        Speed Pascal
        Virtual Pascal
        TMT Pascal (perhaps?)
        Cabot UCSD Pascal
        Prospero Extended Pascal

Most of these are commercial.

The Chief
--------
Dr. A{*filter*}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 2.91 for Win16 and Win32:
           Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
            http://www.*-*-*.com/
           ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief291.zip

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
: computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
: right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce

: presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
: to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...

<rebuttal>
As a long-time user of OS/2 (six years) as well as the various flavors of
windows, I can attest that it is MUCH MORE stable than windows 3.1.  It is
considerably more stable than win95 when running win31 applications.
(Equally stable when each is running native (32bit) applications.)  I have
found it to be a bit less stable than windows NT :(  But not enough to
convince me to change primary OSes.
</rebuttal>

<flame>
Rather than spreading falsehoods about an OS you don't happen to like,
how about sticking to the subject:  Borland Pascal.
</flame>

<obPascal>
There are three good options for Borland-like Pascal on OS/2:
SpeedPascal/2 (native PM;  delphi-like IDE in alpha)
Virtual Pascal (almost exact clone of BP7 (for DOS), also does PM)
"Turbo-enhanced" GPC (GNU) available free.  Based on GCC (EMX).
</obPascal>

Paul

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
: computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
: right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce
: presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
: to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...

Anyone know where this delphi patch may be obtained?

Paul

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

:: computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
:: right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce

:Anyone know where this delphi patch may be obtained?

Try

   All the best, Timo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

|> : The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
|> : computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
|> : right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce
|> : presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
|> : to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...
|>
|> Anyone know where this delphi patch may be obtained?

AFAIK it is on the C't FTP site and its mirrors

http://www.ix.de/ct/Service/ftp.htm

 -Mike

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

Quote:

> : I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one
> : to develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any
> : information on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?
> [...]
> For 32-bit programs, you need any of these;
>    Speed Pascal
>    Virtual Pascal
>    TMT Pascal (perhaps?)
>    Cabot UCSD Pascal
>    Prospero Extended Pascal

  or    GNU Pascal with EMX, FreeWare.

See the Mini FAQ, posted weekly to this NewsGroup for mor about this.

Greetings,

    Peter

home address:  D\"usseldorfer Str. 35, 45145 Essen, Germany
         WWW:  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~peter/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

Quote:

>: I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one
>: to develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any
>: information on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?

>For 16-bit programs, get the BP4OS2 patch;
>        bp7_os2.zip
>        bpos2v2.zip

Could you tell me where these can be found?

Thanks
Frank

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: >

: >: I have heard that there is a patch or something out there which allows one
: >: to develop OS/2 programs in Turbo Pascal.  Can anyone point me to any
: >: information on using Turbo Pascal to develop OS/2 programs?
: >
: >For 16-bit programs, get the BP4OS2 patch;
: >        bp7_os2.zip
: >        bpos2v2.zip
:

You can find them on various ftp sites (do an "archie" search). However, I
do remember that there was a copy on ftp.cdrom.com (under the OS/2 (1.x)
directory tree).

The Chief
--------
Dr. A{*filter*}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 2.91 for Win16 and Win32:
           Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
            http://www.*-*-*.com/
           ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief291.zip

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

Quote:

>: The original idea to use Borland pascal under OS/2  came from the german
>: computing magazine c't. They have now (october issue, if I remember
>: right) published a way to do the same with delphi, to produce

>: presentation manager applications. Not that I knew why anyone would like
>: to do this, given the notorious instability of OS/2, but there you go...

><rebuttal>
>As a long-time user of OS/2 (six years) as well as the various flavors of
>windows, I can attest that it is MUCH MORE stable than windows 3.1.  It is
>considerably more stable than win95 when running win31 applications.
></rebuttal>

><flame>
>Rather than spreading falsehoods about an OS you don't happen to like,
>how about sticking to the subject:  Borland Pascal.
></flame>

This discussion realy does not belong here, but just to set the record
straight: On my maschine (Gateway 486DX2 PCI) OS2 (both version 2 and
Warp) have not managed to run for longer than 20 min without complete
crash (from which only reinstallation recovered). As the same maschine
runs DOS, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD flawlessly (well, almost) the fault
has to be in OS2.

Followup redirected to /dev/null

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal and OS/2

: This discussion realy does not belong here, but just to set the record
: straight: On my maschine (Gateway 486DX2 PCI) OS2 (both version 2 and
: Warp) have not managed to run for longer than 20 min without complete
: crash (from which only reinstallation recovered). As the same maschine
: runs DOS, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD flawlessly (well, almost) the fault
: has to be in OS2.

Are you suggesting that any OS necessarily exercises all aspects of your
system, thus ensuring proper operation?  You must be joking.
That's kind of like saying "My compiler correctly translated my
hello.world program and my fibonacci sequence generator, so there could
not be a bug in the compiler."

Similarly (and no more of a proof):  my machine will run Win95 ONLY if I
add IO wait states.  Under OS/2, the machine runs fine without the additional
IO wait states.  Without the extra wait states, win95 crashes the instant I
move the mouse after the GUI starts and the mouse pointer appears.
This is not a measure of stability.  This is an example of a "hardware
compatibility issue."  Does it make OS/2 better than Win95?  No.  (Unless you
absolutiley have to run without the additional wait states.)  This simply
illustrates that different programs are affected by different hardware issues.

: Followup redirected to /dev/null

Followup redirected UP YOURS!!
(If you don't want followup, don't post, stupid.)

Paul

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. FA: Virtual Pascal for OS/2, RexxVIM for OS/2

2. Help w/ Turbo Debugger and OS/2

3. Visual Pascal for OS/2, now at Pascal Central

4. Visual Pascal for OS/2, now at Pascal Central

5. Turbo Pascal 7 or Educational Turbo Pascal 7

6. OS in pascal

7. Making binary files in pascal for an OS

8. Borland Pascal problem running under DOS OS/2 session

9. 32 bit Pascal version & special O.S.

10. Os in Pascal

11. and again: an OS in pascal

12. Free pascal for OS development problem