STL for Pascal and Object Pascal 
Author Message
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Hi All,

Recently I have been working a on rehash of an old problem, that is
generic data structures for Object Pascal. The solution is DSL. The
delphi standard libraries are a series of generic container and
algorithm libraries written by Arash Partow and made FREE to public
under the QGPL. It was made to fill in the void that some Object
Pascal programmers who have had the pleasure of using C++'s STL may
feel after they return to their mother language.

The currently available containers are:

Vector String Vector Integer Vector Linked List Double Linked List
Hash Table

The currently available algorithms are:

Sort (Quick-Sort, Bubble-Sort, Selection-Sort) Vector Sort String
Vector Integer Vector Sort

For more information or DOWNLOAD of the Delphi Standard Libraries
visit:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Arash Partow

________________________________________________________
Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:02:06 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal
Hi Marco,

1.) If you just read the 1st 3 lines of the QGPL license you will see
    that it will meet more than your needs.
    Its open to anything if what you are doing is either
     1. Research
     2. Education
    Other than that you must contact me and inform me of what you will
    be doing. btw there is no need to be a lawyer to understand a GPL
    ;)

2.) STL has the advantage of templating being embedded into the
    C++ language as you said, however please remember that until
    the people that are setting the PASCAL ISO and ANSI begin
    to work together and start taking advice from users and
    compiler manufacturers we will never get the functionality
    needed. However with regards to templating the Pascal
    language syntax is against ambagious states, I think you
    has a compiler engineer should know how much easier that makes
    your job. Am I not right?

Quote:
> I managed to download it (web site mumbles about missing javascript
> support) and compile most of it under Free Pascal, with the
> current release version 1.0.6 under FreeBSD. It didn't like the
> virtual constructor in dslalgorithms. (will test with development
> version, and report as bug > otherwise), and the dslvector file seems
> to be missing.

3.) You are right and that has been fixed, I have updated the dsl.zip
    file, DSLVector has been added everything should work A-O-K :D
    I'm not sure what you mean about the java script support thing,
    the menu was written in java script using dhtml, maybe you should
    update your web browers i've tested all the pages on my site with
    netscape, konqueror under linux and IE and netscape under windows
    everything seems fine from my end.

4.) With regards to compatibility, and NG relevance all i can say is
    that OP is very similar, and as stated in the site it can be
    easily ported to any other Object Pascal compiler, the syntax
    will be the same, but most likely people will need to change
    the TObject to whatever else their compilers deem the master
    object from which all other objects are derived from.

Marco I would like to thank-you for your feed back.

Regards

Arash    

________________________________________________________
Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net



Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:13:33 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:

> Hi Marco,

> 1.) If you just read the 1st 3 lines of the QGPL license you will see
>     that it will meet more than your needs.
>     Its open to anything if what you are doing is either
>      1. Research
>      2. Education
>     Other than that you must contact me and inform me of what you will
>     be doing. btw there is no need to be a lawyer to understand a GPL
>     ;)

Well, then it is not GPL, which allows commercial use, as long as you
distribute the source of everything.

Quote:
> 2.) STL has the advantage of templating being embedded into the
>     C++ language as you said, however please remember that until
>     the people that are setting the PASCAL ISO and ANSI begin
>     to work together and start taking advice from users and
>     compiler manufacturers we will never get the functionality
>     needed. However with regards to templating the Pascal
>     language syntax is against ambagious states, I think you
>     has a compiler engineer should know how much easier that makes
>     your job. Am I not right?

Yes, but I wasn't planning on basing it on C++, it seems that ADA has a much
cleaner way. (which I haven't studied extensively yet)

Quote:
>> I managed to download it (web site mumbles about missing javascript
>> support) and compile most of it under Free Pascal, with the
>> current release version 1.0.6 under FreeBSD. It didn't like the
>> virtual constructor in dslalgorithms. (will test with development
>> version, and report as bug > otherwise), and the dslvector file seems
>> to be missing.

> 3.) You are right and that has been fixed, I have updated the dsl.zip
>     file, DSLVector has been added everything should work A-O-K :D
>     I'm not sure what you mean about the java script support thing,
>     the menu was written in java script using dhtml, maybe you should
>     update your web browers i've tested all the pages on my site with
>     netscape, konqueror under linux and IE and netscape under windows
>     everything seems fine from my end.

I used Lynx.


Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:28:15 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:
> Recently I have been working a on rehash of an old problem, that is
> generic data structures for Object Pascal. The solution is DSL. The
> Delphi standard libraries are a series of generic container and
> algorithm libraries written by Arash Partow and made FREE to public
> under the QGPL.

Don't make up new licence types unneccesary. It makes it impossible
to use your code. Also have a look at DeCAL.

Stephan Eggermont
Sensus, systems that make sense



Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:33:36 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal
Hi Stephan,

Quote:
> Don't make up new license types unnecessary. It makes it impossible
> to use your code. Also have a look at DeCAL.

I think it is a necessary thing, my license does not restrict anyone
doing pure open source development. I'm not making a new license to be
a {*filter*}, you can't even really call it new because 95% of it comes
from other licenses which have been accepted by GNU.

The license doesn't restrict you from using DSL to "learn" how to make
generic structures. If once you have learnt you can then implement
your own generic structures, then apply any kind of licensing you want
to them. My hope was that people will learn, people will also assist
me to make the project better maybe even as good as STL for Object
Pascal one day.

This may sound a bit idealistic but thats how I see it.

btw this DeCal you mentioned is this the URL
http://www.*-*-*.com/ cause I'm not sure what I'm supposed
to be looking for there, was the redirect to DeCAL about the license
or about DSL itself?

Regards

Arash

________________________________________________________
Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Fri, 05 Aug 2005 03:02:42 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal
Arash Partow schrieb:

Quote:
> Hi Stephan,

>>Don't make up new license types unnecessary. It makes it impossible
>>to use your code. Also have a look at DeCAL.

> I think it is a necessary thing, my license does not restrict anyone
> doing pure open source development. I'm not making a new license to be
> a {*filter*}, you can't even really call it new because 95% of it comes
> from other licenses which have been accepted by GNU.

But it wouldn't allow commerial use, would it?
Or do you mean that there are only open source programmers all around
the world just now?

Greetings

Markus



Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:48:41 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:

> Arash Partow schrieb:
>> Hi Stephan,

>>>Don't make up new license types unnecessary. It makes it impossible
>>>to use your code. Also have a look at DeCAL.

>> I think it is a necessary thing, my license does not restrict anyone
>> doing pure open source development. I'm not making a new license to be
>> a {*filter*}, you can't even really call it new because 95% of it comes
>> from other licenses which have been accepted by GNU.

> But it wouldn't allow commerial use, would it?
> Or do you mean that there are only open source programmers all around
> the world just now?

Open Source licenses all have possibilities for commercial use. Even the
most stringent one (GPL), allows commercial use as long as the entire app is
open sourced. This license doesn't seem to (at least in his own words)


Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:11:54 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:

> The license doesn't restrict you from using DSL to "learn" how to make
> generic structures. If once you have learnt you can then implement
> your own generic structures, then apply any kind of licensing you want
> to them. My hope was that people will learn, people will also assist
> me to make the project better maybe even as good as STL for Object
> Pascal one day.

> This may sound a bit idealistic but thats how I see it.

> btw this DeCal you mentioned is this the URL
> http://decaldev.sourceforge.net cause I'm not sure what I'm supposed
> to be looking for there, was the redirect to DeCAL about the license
> or about DSL itself?

DSL itself. DeCal is also a generics container library.


Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:04:56 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:
> The license doesn't restrict you from using DSL to "learn" how to make
> generic structures. If once you have learnt you can then implement
> your own generic structures, then apply any kind of licensing you want
> to them. My hope was that people will learn, people will also assist
> me to make the project better maybe even as good as STL for Object
> Pascal one day.

They wont. The people who are good enough to help you with it
will not work with your licence. GPL for the real idealists, LGPL
or MPL for those with business ambitions. Especially as DeCAL already
has a better licence.

Stephan Eggermont
Sensus, systems that make sense



Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:33:13 GMT  
 STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

Quote:

>> to them. My hope was that people will learn, people will also assist
>> me to make the project better maybe even as good as STL for Object
>> Pascal one day.

> They wont. The people who are good enough to help you with it
> will not work with your licence. GPL for the real idealists, LGPL
> or MPL for those with business ambitions. Especially as DeCAL already
> has a better licence.

True IMHO, specially since the DSL stuff isn't that dramatical (any 1st years
CS can create it).


Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:41:48 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

2. STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

3. Encrytion Components(Delphi), Object Pascal Objects(other) Available for DL

4. (newbie) textbook featuring extended pascal and object pascal

5. MW Object Pascal vs Delphi's Pascal

6. Pascal or even better Object pascal beautifier ?

7. Borland Turbo Pascal vs Pascal with Objects

8. Desperate help on Object-oriented programming (turbo pascal)

9. Question regarding Borland Pascal with Objects v7.01 and

10. Question on object pascal

11. Object Pascal Programming

12. Object Pascal Books?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software