DOS stacks and TP interrupt procedures
Author Message
 DOS stacks and TP interrupt procedures

When you put the following line in the config.sys file...

stacks 0,0

...does this mean that when a TP program is running, calls to DOS use the
application's stack?

Is that why "stacks 0,0" should be used when writing TP programs with
interrupt procedures?

Thanks.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DOS stacks and TP interrupt procedures

Quote:
> When you put the following line in the config.sys file...

> stacks 0,0

> ...does this mean that when a TP program is running, calls to DOS use the
> application's stack?

Oops, good question, that is all a long ago.

Quote:
> Is that why "stacks 0,0" should be used when writing TP programs with
> interrupt procedures?

Afaik stacks settings don't apply to .EXE files (which are generated by
TP), EXE files have independant stacks.

I ran with stacks=0,0 with a lot of TP programs for years, and also with
stacks=9.256 (because of win3.1x), without noticing any difference.

So I think the reason for "stacks=0,0" for TP resident programs is
memory saving.

Resident memories use memory -> less mainmemory available for other apps
-> setting stacks to 0,0 keeps more memory free.

IIRC if you use (a recent) Qemm you don't need stacks anyway, since Qemm
makes these programs work anyway. An exception to that is maybe win3.11
(who follows the great Microsoft tradition of entanglements of two
different products (dos and win3.11) which isn't allowed for other
applications)

P.s. With recent I mean newer than 5.x ;-)

--

Pascal page on www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdfpc.htm
Fortuneclone (written in Pascal with humor archive ) on

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Interrupt Procedures in BP7.0 to work in Win95-DOS-box

2. formal procedures in TP 6.0 in dos

3. Protected mode interrupt registers and stack?

4. Help: adapting graphics from TP DOS to TP Windows

5. Porting from TP for DOS 5.0 to TP for windows 1.5

6. Free Pascal & TCP/IP Stack under DOS

7. TCP/IP Stack for DOS?

8. Declare interrupt procedures in Object

9. Interrupt procedure in assembler

10. Debugging an interrupt procedure

11. How to use an interrupt procedure? BP7

12. How to declare Interrupt procedures within objects ?