Protected mode??
Author Message
 Protected mode??

What's Pmode?
How can I enter it: Using Pascal (inline asm)?
Advantages/disadvantages?

Hope you can help me!
Thanks!!

Vermin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Protected mode??

Quote:

>What's Pmode?

Protected mode is a mode where one can access more than one megabyte
memory. The name comes from the fact that in protected mode memory can
be protected so that for example program cannot write over code.

Quote:
>How can I enter it: Using pascal (inline asm)?

You do not (normally) just enter like that. Instead you choose the
target as protected from your BP (not TP) 7.0 compiler and then compile.
The system does all the switching for you.

Of course one could manually enter protected mode but that would not be
trivial. To do anything useful one basically would have to write an
operating system.

Quote:
>Advantages/disadvantages?

In context of BP 7.0:Advantages: more memory available and in protected
mode finding some errors is easier. Disadvantages: Slightly slower,
especially on pointer operations and on older processors. Some low
level? stuff is harder because not all software interrupts are
supported.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Protected mode??

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Protected mode??

Quote:

> >What's Pmode?

> Protected mode is a mode where one can access more than one megabyte
> memory. The name comes from the fact that in protected mode memory can
> be protected so that for example program cannot write over code.

> >How can I enter it: Using pascal (inline asm)?

> You do not (normally) just enter like that. Instead you choose the
> target as protected from your BP (not TP) 7.0 compiler and then compile.
> The system does all the switching for you.

> Of course one could manually enter protected mode but that would not be
> trivial. To do anything useful one basically would have to write an
> operating system.

> >Advantages/disadvantages?

> In context of BP 7.0:Advantages: more memory available and in protected
> mode finding some errors is easier. Disadvantages: Slightly slower,
> especially on pointer operations and on older processors. Some low
> level? stuff is harder because not all software interrupts are
> supported.

> Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Protected mode??

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Protected mode??

Quote:

> >What's Pmode?

> Protected mode is a mode where one can access more than one megabyte
> memory. The name comes from the fact that in protected mode memory can
> be protected so that for example program cannot write over code.

> >How can I enter it: Using pascal (inline asm)?

> You do not (normally) just enter like that. Instead you choose the
> target as protected from your BP (not TP) 7.0 compiler and then compile.
> The system does all the switching for you.

> Of course one could manually enter protected mode but that would not be
> trivial. To do anything useful one basically would have to write an
> operating system.

It's better to use such a compiler, which is tought to be used as protected
mode programs compiler. For example FPC, which you can find from
www.freepascal.org

Quote:

> >Advantages/disadvantages?

> In context of BP 7.0:Advantages: more memory available and in protected
> mode finding some errors is easier. Disadvantages: Slightly slower,

If you use 32bit protected mode, then it's faster, and if you are using
large quantities of memory, then it's much faster than real mode/16b
protected mode

> especially on pointer operations and on older processors. Some low
> level? stuff is harder because not all software interrupts are
> supported.

> Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Protected mode VS Real mode ???

2. Real Mode from Protected Mode: Accessing an RMode TSR from PMode

3. Protected mode vs. Real mode

4. Real mode Interrupts and pointers in Protected Mode

5. Real mode > protected mode, BGI error :-(

6. Unexpected heap overflow in protected mode program compiled by BP7

7. Multitasking under BP protected mode

8. Printer Problem in Protected Mode

9. debugging and protected mode

10. SVGA BGI in protected mode

11. protected mode problem in Windows NT?

12. Controling privilege level in protected mode programs ?