turbo pascal 6.0
Author Message
 turbo pascal 6.0

hi im kathy and i have just enrolled on a very basic programming course at
nightschool...the problem is.... i need turbo Pascal 6.0 for my home p.c as
this is what we are using at school..If anyone could help me locate this it
would be wonderful...thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:
>hi im kathy and i have just enrolled on a very basic programming course at
>nightschool...the problem is.... i need turbo pascal 6.0 for my home p.c as
>this is what we are using at school..If anyone could help me locate this it
>would be wonderful...thanks

TP6 is not available for free download. However, as long as your are not
using asm code or Turbo vision then you could perhaps use TP5.5 which is
available for free download from Borland.

--
Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
Contains links to    |  http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

>TP6 is not available for free download. However, as long as your are not
>using asm code or Turbo vision then you could perhaps use TP5.5 which is
>available for free download from Borland.

I second that recomendation.  In fact, I still prefer 5.5 to
6.0.

Jud McCranie

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0
On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 20:04:44 -0400, Jud McCranie

Quote:

> >TP6 is not available for free download. However, as long as your are not
> >using asm code or Turbo vision then you could perhaps use TP5.5 which is
> >available for free download from Borland.
> I second that recomendation.  In fact, I still prefer 5.5 to 6.0.

I wonder which could be the reason. The step from 5.5 to 6.0 was the
biggest step since the appearence of 4.0.

The heap management of 5.5- is buggy by design (the dreadful
freelist). There is the possiblility of a dead-lock - a situation
where you may neither allocate nor deallocate memory.
You have no assembly. Interfacing with C is a mess, while it is plain
sailing with 6.0+. You have no objects which are very elegant if used
in the right place. Code and variable elimination (linker) is more
efficient with 6.0. What can be said in favour of 5.5 if you have the
choice ? Just curious.

Regards
Horst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

>The heap management of 5.5- is buggy by design (the dreadful
>freelist). There is the possiblility of a dead-lock - a situation
>where you may neither allocate nor deallocate memory.
>You have no assembly. Interfacing with C is a mess, while it is plain
>sailing with 6.0+. You have no objects which are very elegant if used
>in the right place.

No objects on TP 5.5????

Quote:
>Code and variable elimination (linker) is more
>efficient with 6.0.

How was it changed?

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

> No objects on TP 5.5????

Of course TP 5.5 has objects...

But the TP6 IDE alone is such a big improvement (multiple and bigger
source files), the ASM and a lot more. Eg. the RTL was available
for TP 6

The step from TP 6 to TP 7 is not worth all the drawbacks.

:-)
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser/    http://members.xoom.com/f_glaser/
http://www.geocities.com/~franzglaser/            http://start.at/bedarf

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

> The step from TP 6 to TP 7 is not worth all the drawbacks.

Drawbacks? Which drawbacks?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

> > The step from TP 6 to TP 7 is not worth all the drawbacks.

> Drawbacks? Which drawbacks?

RTE200, longint with interrupts and longint with shifts, DPMI
necessity for the ide/compiler.

I cannot remember that there was a single necessity in my
programming to use TP 7 instead of TP 6. There are a few improvements
in the Turbo Vision, but more errors than improvements. I simply
copied some of them (IIRC the Tcombobox) to my TP 6 version of TV.

I must admit that I never had TP 7 but BP 7, assuming that it is
almost the same, regarding to real mode exes.

:-)
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser/    http://members.xoom.com/f_glaser/
http://www.geocities.com/~franzglaser/            http://start.at/bedarf

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

> longint with interrupts

?

Quote:
> and longint with shifts,

See above.

Quote:
> DPMI necessity for the ide/compiler.

Why is that a drawback?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

>> DPMI necessity for the ide/compiler.

> Why is that a drawback?

Because I prefer the good old DOS 3.x version, without any silly
drivers etc. In fact I use DR-Multiuser DOS and I like programs,
which behalve modest, modest, modest! To leave the resources for
all the other programs running concurrently. In most cases I run
the TP 6 compiler on the same computer, that does the actual work
with machine control, concurrently. So it is important to run
flawlessly and modestly ...

Speed is of no concern, but easy handling, security (no crashes
while the plant is running) is vital. The less necessity of
resources, the better. Simply think: the opposite of Windows or
all the other "high functionality" operating systems and tools.

The good old Turbo approach has been ported until TP 6, but then
it grew towards M$ and Win and similar nonsense. I have no TP 7,
but I have BP 7, and I am frustrated. It is no longer "Turbo
Pascal" philosophy.

:-)
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser/    http://members.xoom.com/f_glaser/
http://www.geocities.com/~franzglaser/            http://start.at/bedarf

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

> >The heap management of 5.5- is buggy by design (the dreadful
> >freelist). There is the possiblility of a dead-lock - a situation
> >where you may neither allocate nor deallocate memory.
> >You have no assembly. Interfacing with C is a mess, while it is plain
> >sailing with 6.0+. You have no objects which are very elegant if used
> >in the right place.
> No objects on TP 5.5????

sorry, there were objects, but some implementations (like bufstream)
were buggy. I'd never dare to use objects and streams with 5.5 in a
serious program.

Quote:
> >Code and variable elimination (linker) is more
> >efficient with 6.0.
> How was it changed?

Faster, at least that's what they said in the docs. I never tested it
thoroughly, though, and I shouldn't have mentioned it. People are
saying a lot in a long summer nights at the banks of Missouri...

Regards
Horst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

>The good old Turbo approach has been ported until TP 6, but then
>it grew towards M$ and Win and similar nonsense. I have no TP 7,
>but I have BP 7, and I am frustrated. It is no longer "Turbo
>Pascal" philosophy.

'
Borland had long had two packages standard and professional. BP was
the professional package for version 7.0. Just choose real mode IDE and
real mode targets from the installation and you have as simple system
as TP 6.0.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0

Quote:

>> > The step from TP 6 to TP 7 is not worth all the drawbacks.

>> Drawbacks? Which drawbacks?

>RTE200, longint with interrupts and longint with shifts, DPMI
>necessity for the ide/compiler.

RTE200 and the longint shifts are easily fixed if one has BP. The
longints with interrupts can easily be fixed by setting Test8086 to 1.
The Turbo IDE does not require DPMI. On the other hand the BP/TPX does
and thus allows much more open files.

The greatest benefit is the editor with syntax coloring.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 turbo pascal 6.0
get the latest version of tp, as this will be able to do everything that the
one at nightschool can do, plus a whole lot more, and it will be much easier
to use.

Quote:
> hi im kathy and i have just enrolled on a very basic programming course at
> nightschool...the problem is.... i need turbo pascal 6.0 for my home p.c
as
> this is what we are using at school..If anyone could help me locate this
it
> would be wonderful...thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Where can I find Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0?

2. TURBO PASCAL 6.0, Help with small program

3. anyone have turbo pascal 6.0 compiler

4. Turbo Pascal 6.0 File/Input Output

5. Turbo Pascal 6.0 Mystery Message

6. Turbo Pascal 6.0: GP at 001F 0713 EC FFFC

7. Turbo Pascal 6.0 manual

8. Memory Error with Turbo Pascal 6.0

9. Turbo Pascal 6.0 HELP

10. Turbo Pascal 6.0 and Windows 98

11. can anyone send me the turbo pascal 6.0

12. Windows (95) + Turbo Pascal 6.0