Shelling out of memory to run a child process
Author Message
 Shelling out of memory to run a child process

Quote:
> anybody know how to do this? I'm writing a bbs utility and I keep running
> out of memory. the bbs calls my program, my program calls another
> program.. but my program uses a lot of pointers and therefore memory.
> Besides I'm running my bbs under windows with qemm8.0 and don't want to
> turn to protected mode.... although it's worked so far in protected mode.

Ralf Brown <who has been seen in this newsgroup> has written an excellent
piece of code called Spawno which will swap to most anything you want it
to...  I can UUencode and send it <forgot the ftp address> in Email if you
want it...  It's mainly meant for C++ but can be used in Pascal or Asm
without modification...  <special compile for Pascal, I think..>  You
could also use it in Asm if you felt so inclined...

It does swap to EMS, XMS, Disk, non XMS extended...  It doesn't know how
to *NOT* swap, though!  Some claim that as a problem...  I really don't
much care, though I suggested it as an option for a future release...
Email me if you want it...

           \|/           Peace can not exist without war, nor can war
       \\\\/|\////          exist without peace. Think about it...
        \\\\|////             ----------------------------------

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Shelling out of memory to run a child process

:anybody know how to do this? I'm writing a bbs utility and I keep running
:out of memory. the bbs calls my program, my program calls another

If nothing else helps, try using an external program to swap to
disk. For example

 18411 Dec 23 1993 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/sysutil/shrom24b.zip
 shrom24b.zip Swap to disk when shelling to application (useful)

   All the best, Timo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Debugging child process with TD, how to get symbol info for child program

2. Debugging child process with TD, how to get symbol info for child program

3. BGI in EXEC child process

4. REQ: source of simple concurrent-pascal example (parent/child processes in window)

5. TP5: how to run shell command with long filename

6. TP5: how to run shell command with long filename

7. Shell execute, create process, execute, run program from my program...

8. Running a background process on network

9. MDI child from MDI child

10. How can MDI child forms have child forms ?

11. how to make multiple read outs - help

12. how do you make multiple read outs?