Serial Port Monitor
Author Message
 Serial Port Monitor

I have been looking for a program to watch the data that moves through
a serial port.  I have found many programs to monitor a serial port in
windows but since the program I am trying to monitor runs in msdos, I
cant seem to get the windows monitoring program to work (I asume that
it is because they only monitor windows api calls).  I would be very
apreciative if someone could explain to me how to write a program to do
this(ps. its been a long time since I programed in Pascal), or even
better, if someone could tell me of a program that can do this.  I have
looked in many different places on the net for this, but cant seen to
find anything, I would not be surprised if I was searching for the
wrong thing (I have been searching for "monitor serial port", and many
variations).

Thank You
Clint

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.*-*-*.com/ The Internet's Discussion Network *

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Serial Port Monitor

Quote:

> find anything, I would not be surprised if I was searching for the
> wrong thing (I have been searching for "monitor serial port", and many
> variations).

Search for "RS232, serial I/O, async, communication, etc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Serial Port Monitor
Ya, that would be great if you could find that.  As for the money,
within reson is perfectly fine.

Thanks Again
Clint

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Serial Port Monitor

Quote:
> I have been looking for a program to watch the data that moves through
> a serial port.  I have found many programs to monitor a serial port in
> windows but since the program I am trying to monitor runs in msdos, I
> cant seem to get the windows monitoring program to work (I asume that
> it is because they only monitor windows api calls).  I would be very
> apreciative if someone could explain to me how to write a program to do
> this(ps. its been a long time since I programed in Pascal), or even
> better, if someone could tell me of a program that can do this.  I have
> looked in many different places on the net for this, but cant seen to
> find anything, I would not be surprised if I was searching for the
> wrong thing (I have been searching for "monitor serial port", and many
> variations).

> Thank You
> Clint

Hello Clint,
if you are searching for a running program (not the sources)
I remember a useful (german) utility wich is running on a
pc between the rs232-partners, getting data from COMx, analyzing,
displaying and monitoring to a file in both ascii and hex mode, then
putting to COMy. No shareware, but very ok and not too expensive.
If that could help you, please give a note that I take time to look
in my archive for further information.
Good time
--
Hourdi
alias Georg O.F. Richter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Serial Port Monitor

cgarden schrieb:

Quote:
> Ya, that would be great if you could find that.  As for the money,
> within reson is perfectly fine.

> Thanks Again
> Clint

Hello Clint,
If you can use Asynch Professional in your Delphi program you have the
possibility to connect a monitor window to the com port. However, I use that to
check and supervise my own programs useing serial communication in different
ways.
Yours
Volker

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Serial Port Monitor
There are a couple of products that I know of that you may be able to
use. There is a program called Breakout that runs on a PC and turns
the PC into a breakout box. You plug the PC running Breakout in
between another PC and the device and the Breakout PC displays all
traffic going between the device and the other PC. Breakout is
available from B&B Electronics (www.bb-elec.com)
You can also buy a cheap breakout box at Radio Shack with a little LCD
display. You only get to see a few characters at a time but at least
you can see something is going on.
Another trick that you can do is to tap off the transmit and ground
lines and feed them into the Receive and Ground  on a second serial
port either on the same PC or a different PC. You can also tap off the
Receive and ground line and feed them into the Receive and Ground  on
a third serial port. You could then run two instances of the Terminal
program that comes with Windows to essentially spy on incoming and
outgoing data streams.
The company that I work for has a free DOS based serial port analyzer
program called COMSHOW that you could use to view the data. It is not
very sophisticated but it does show everything that comes in a serial
port including control codes. You can download it from the FREE
SOFTWARE section of our web site at http://www.taltech.com

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:32:01 -0800, cgarden

Quote:

>I have been looking for a program to watch the data that moves through
>a serial port.  I have found many programs to monitor a serial port in
>windows but since the program I am trying to monitor runs in msdos, I
>cant seem to get the windows monitoring program to work (I asume that
>it is because they only monitor windows api calls).  I would be very
>apreciative if someone could explain to me how to write a program to do
>this(ps. its been a long time since I programed in Pascal), or even
>better, if someone could tell me of a program that can do this.  I have
>looked in many different places on the net for this, but cant seen to
>find anything, I would not be surprised if I was searching for the
>wrong thing (I have been searching for "monitor serial port", and many
>variations).

>Thank You
>Clint

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. REQUEST : Code to detect Monitor serial number (If there IS a serial number burned into the monitor)

2. serial port software

3. serial port routines

4. Programming the Serial Port in D5

5. print to a serial port printer

6. How do I use the serial port

7. serialun.zip Turbo Pascal Object Oriented Serial Port Unit

8. Firing Serial Port Pins...

9. networks and serial ports

10. Simplying serial com port selection

11. serial port drivers