getftime sets attributes(!)
Author Message
 getftime sets attributes(!)

I have a program I have been using for years. It runs in a dos session
on a Win95 station, and manipulates files on a Netware server. It is
written in Borland Pascal 7.0 and has worked well till now.

We have just changed our server to NT4.0.  Now I'm suddenly finding
files being mysteriously marked as hidden, sytem, etc, by this
program.

I tracked it down to a getftime statement. If I check the file's
attributes before and after this statement they are definitely changed
by getftime, which is odd as it is only supposed to get information.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem with a simple program
yet, it only happens in the big one. This makes me think it may be a
programming or compiler error, but I can't think how.

Has anyone else come across this problem? (Can't see anything about it
in the FAQs.)

Peter Shute.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 getftime sets attributes(!)

Quote:

>We have just changed our server to NT4.0.  Now I'm suddenly finding
>files being mysteriously marked as hidden, sytem, etc, by this
>program.

>I tracked it down to a getftime statement. If I check the file's
>attributes before and after this statement they are definitely changed
>by getftime, which is odd as it is only supposed to get information.

(This is the original poster of the question - just a different email
address).

Don't bother answering this question. I've tracked it down to a unit I
included (which I got off the net) to fix the problem with the
diskfree function with large drives. It seems it also includes a
replacement for getftime, which seems to have a bit of a problem.  Why
it went funny after NT came along, I don't know. (A lot of things went
funny).  I'm not assuming there is a bug yet till I read the
documentation. Unfortunately it's in German - does anyone know of a
good translating web site?

Peter Shute, Melbourne, Australia

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 getftime sets attributes(!)

Quote:

>I have a program I have been using for years. It runs in a dos session
>on a Win95 station, and manipulates files on a Netware server. It is
>written in Borland Pascal 7.0 and has worked well till now.

>We have just changed our server to NT4.0.  Now I'm suddenly finding
>files being mysteriously marked as hidden, sytem, etc, by this
>program.

>I tracked it down to a getftime statement. If I check the file's
>attributes before and after this statement they are definitely changed
>by getftime, which is odd as it is only supposed to get information.

>I have not been able to reproduce the problem with a simple program
>yet, it only happens in the big one. This makes me think it may be a
>programming or compiler error, but I can't think how.

>Has anyone else come across this problem? (Can't see anything about it
>in the FAQs.)

Tracing a minimal program using TD (which you should have) into GetFTime
shows a call to Int 21 function 5700, which seems reasonable.  Nothing
else within GetFTime looks guilty.  GetFTime itself is probably
innocent.

--

  Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c. FAQqish topics & links.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 getftime sets attributes(!)

| Unfortunately it's in German - does anyone know of a
|good translating web site?

Check out

http://babelfish.altavista.com/cgi-bin/translate?

I haven't used it for German, but its Spanish wasn't too bad.

Phil

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. problem: attribute set for dictionary in database explorer

2. GetFTime

3. Database/Field Attributes for a Newbie

4. giving a new file the attributes of an old one

5. Changing attributes in a Tquickrep

6. files attributes

7. InterBase NOT NULL Attribute

8. FindFirst, FindNext using file attributes

9. File-attributes (DOS)

10. Reading attributes and such from shared files?

11. Attributes again.

12. text bit format (attribute byte)