Pascal and Interactive Fiction
Author Message
 Pascal and Interactive Fiction

Greetings

I'm a newby, learning programming via Pascal, and intrigued by the
possibilities of text-based *interactive fiction* programming.

See http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

It seems to me that an interest in Int. Fic. might be good motivation and
vehicle for learning the intricacies of Pascal (e.g., TP7), though I can't
see where anyone is currently using Pascal to this end.

I understand that many Int. Fic. writers use C or python in their systems;
I'm just wondering if anyone has written any text based Int. Fic. in Pascal,
or can see any reason why it could not be done. I stress the text-based
aspect (not particularly interested in graphics).

Am I way off base here?

Any insights or comments would be appreciated.

David

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:28:45 GMT
 Pascal and Interactive Fiction

Quote:

> Greetings

> I'm a newby, learning programming via Pascal, and intrigued by the
> possibilities of text-based *interactive fiction* programming.

> See http://brasslantern.org/ and
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wsr/Web/IF/homepage.html

> It seems to me that an interest in Int. Fic. might be good motivation and
> vehicle for learning the intricacies of Pascal (e.g., TP7), though I can't
> see where anyone is currently using Pascal to this end.

> I understand that many Int. Fic. writers use C or Python in their systems;
> I'm just wondering if anyone has written any text based Int. Fic. in Pascal,
> or can see any reason why it could not be done. I stress the text-based
> aspect (not particularly interested in graphics).

> Am I way off base here?

No, not at all. Some famous textonly games have been in Pascal for a long
while (like Moria IIRC). (and see below)

Quote:
> Any insights or comments would be appreciated.

In the old BBS scene there was a lot of use of Pascal _AND_ text based
games. (specially multiplayer trading games were quite popular). The phrase
to search for is "door-games" or doorgames.

"Rogue-like game" is also a class of textbased games that saw some
implementations in Pascal.

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:16:20 GMT

1. Interacive Fiction Parser Help

2. Interactive Mouse Programming

3. INTERBASE INTERACTIVE SQL doesn't works ?

4. Interactive Help Desk!

5. Do you want to create INTERACTIVE web pages?

6. creating clickable buttons, interactive stuff? (fwd)

7. Q: Interbase Interactive SQL SUCKS!!!

8. STL for Pascal and Object Pascal

9. Prospero Pascal, and Friends of Pascal

10. Pascal & Pascal+BASM programs

11. Kompatibilit?t von Turbo Pascal und Topspeed Pascal