graphics in text mode using dual fonts
Author Message
 graphics in text mode using dual fonts

hi

i'm writing a program in text mode, and would like to use a graphics
window. I know this can be done, but i'm not quite sure how.
Does anyone have any examples?

I would also like to view image files( .PCX?) in this window. Can it
be done, and how?

<helge>

mvh

helge juul

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 graphics in text mode using dual fonts

Quote:

>hi

>i'm writing a program in text mode, and would like to use a graphics
>window. I know this can be done,

You are mistaken. It is impossible to display true graphics on a text
screen. You can of course do it the other way around. See my sig for a
possible solution, including the displaying of .BMP files (though currently
not .PCX) in a window.

Jay
--

Jason Burgon - author of Graphic Vision

http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 graphics in text mode using dual fonts

Quote:

> >hi

> >i'm writing a program in text mode, and would like to use a graphics
> >window. I know this can be done,

> You are mistaken. It is impossible to display true graphics on a text
> screen. You can of course do it the other way around. See my sig for a
> possible solution, including the displaying of .BMP files (though currently
> not .PCX) in a window.

It *is* possible, to an extent, as you can actively reprogram character maps
to create a monochrome graphic window in text mode.  Unfortunately, I've never
gotten around to writing code that does this, though I have seen it done.
SWAG *might* have an example of this.

Quote:
> Jay
> --

> Jason Burgon - author of Graphic Vision

> http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 graphics in text mode using dual fonts

Quote:

>> You are mistaken. It is impossible to display true graphics on a text
>> screen.
>It *is* possible, to an extent, as you can actively reprogram character
maps
>to create a monochrome graphic window in text mode.

A simulated graphic window, yes. This is why I was careful to say "true
graphics". :-)

Multi-coloured images are a non-starter with this technique though because
the pixel in each character block are hardware limited to being only be one
of two colours .

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 graphics in text mode using dual fonts
On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:54:29 -0500, Scott Earnest

Quote:

>It *is* possible, to an extent, as you can actively reprogram character maps
>to create a monochrome graphic window in text mode.  Unfortunately, I've never
>gotten around to writing code that does this, though I have seen it done.
>SWAG *might* have an example of this.

yupp, swag _does_ have an example on this, but I couldn't get much out
of it... :(
mvh

helge juul

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)

2. Text mode vs graphics mode conflict (Help!)

3. Fonts in Graphics mode

4. Text mode font - help!

5. Fonts in Text Mode ...

6. CHANGING FONT IN TEXT MODE

7. efontd11.zip Cvt *ANY* graphic font to CHR format used by BGI, P.Navato

8. efontd11.zip Cvt *ANY* graphic font to CHR format used by BGI, P.Navato

9. Text in graphics mode

10. Graphics in text mode

11. Text Mode Graphics

12. time delay switching from text to graphics mode