ASCII codes in Windows 98
Author Message
 ASCII codes in Windows 98

A TP program I wrote 3 years ago was running perfectly in Windows 95, but
now that I've upgraded to 98 the ASCII codes (207, 209, 199 and 182) are
printing out as 'A' and 'D'

Can anyone explain this and how do I correct it?

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:00:37 GMT
 ASCII codes in Windows 98

Quote:
> A TP program I wrote 3 years ago was running perfectly in Windows 95,
but
> now that I've upgraded to 98 the ASCII codes (207, 209, 199 and 182)
are
> printing out as 'A' and 'D'

> Can anyone explain this and how do I correct it?

Yes, the displayed font does not have exactly same definition.

Running your program in full screen mode usually helps.

If you want to run it in a dos box, you must find a screen font that
supports the old ascii standard.
It is easily possible to change the size of the font, but so far I did
not find out how to change the font definition in the dosbox.

--
Femme

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:00:07 GMT
 ASCII codes in Windows 98

Quote:
> A TP program I wrote 3 years ago was running perfectly in Windows 95, but
> now that I've upgraded to 98 the ASCII codes (207, 209, 199 and 182) are
> printing out as 'A' and 'D'

> Can anyone explain this and how do I correct it?

In DOS, one sees the character that corresponds to the code page that you
set in config.sys (or is it autoexec.bat), whereas in Windows, the character
you see corresponds to the ANSI standard. Perhaps you have changed the code
page?

An intriguing issue I encountered along these lines is that if I entered
characters using the Alt + keypad method, the resultant codes were not be
what they should have been. For instance, when I entered a character using
Alt & 181 in the DOS IDE, it inserted the 181 code (which looks like an A
with acute accent in code page 850, but a greek mu symbol in Windows 3.1 -
XP). However, if I enter Alt & 181 in the Windows IDE, it actually inserted
code 166 for some reason I never worked out (166 is the vertical bar (pipe)
symbol).

I hope this is useful.
Neil
Neil Carter            Psychology Department
IT Technician    University of Wales Swansea
                       Wales, United Kingdom

http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/staff/Carter/

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:31:01 GMT
 ASCII codes in Windows 98

Quote:

> > A TP program I wrote 3 years ago was running perfectly in Windows 95,
but
> > now that I've upgraded to 98 the ASCII codes (207, 209, 199 and 182) are
> > printing out as 'A' and 'D'

> > Can anyone explain this and how do I correct it?

> In DOS, one sees the character that corresponds to the code page that you
> set in config.sys (or is it autoexec.bat), whereas in Windows, the
character
> you see corresponds to the ANSI standard. Perhaps you have changed the
code
> page?

Or perhaps you did not tell Windows you were in the US when you were
installing it. For example, when I installed Win98 I got Code Page 850 for
DOS boxes, instead of 437, because I'm in Ireland. Unfortunately, a lot of
DOS programs assume code page 437, because that's what was in the ROM on the
original PC graphics cards. That's why changing to full-screen usually helps
too, because you're getting the font from ROM again. If your DOS programs
make this assumption, then you will want page 437 for DOS boxes.

On your Windows CD, there should be a program called ChangeCP or CHDOSCP or
something like that. You can try using that to change the display code page
for DOS boxes. IIRC (it was a long time ago that I used the program) it
warns of dire consequences if your Windows installation is not fresh; I
think what it means is that you may have created files with non-CP-437
characters in them, which you will no longer be able to access from DOS
boxes. But this is not a serious problem, you can rename them from Explorer.
Any non-437 characters *inside* the files, however, will also no longer
display correctly; that could be a bigger problem if you are still using a
DOS word processor... surely this should no longer be a problem, everyone
uses Windows word processors nowadays? As well as Windows IDEs... oh, right.

FP

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:35:49 GMT

1. Windows 95-98 Source Code

2. Migrating from Windows 95 to Windows 98

3. Paradox Table corruption & Windows 98

4. HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

5. Delphi 4 and Windows 98

6. Windows 98 Problem

7. Installation error of BDE when using windows 98

8. TP6 - Windows 3.x,95,98

9. Running TP 7.0 in Windows 98

10. BP7 + Protected mode apps + Windows 95/98 = slowdown

11. Delphi 4 and Windows 98 Crash

12. Programmically installing TCP/IP under windows 95/98