Need help with Dialog boxes
Author Message
 Need help with Dialog boxes

What have people found to be the best way to use dialog boxes to prompt
the user for data, when there is too much information in the object to
display in one dialog box?

I have the following:

type
  pFieldObject = tFieldObject;
  tFieldObject =
    object (tObject)
      ID : pString;
      EditCode : word;
      Note : pString;
      QTextLength : word;
      QTextMemo : pMemo; { I think - I'm using Dialog Design}

      ValueList : pValues;
      TermsList : pTerms;
      InputInfo : pDataLocation;
      OutputInfo : pDataLocation;
    end;

I would like to prompt for the ID, EditCode, Note, and QText on the first
dialog box screen, and provide buttons (Values, Terms, Input, Output) for
the other information, which would bring up corresponding dialog boxes.

I'm not sure if I've made myself clear. I hope so. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
-David
--
-David

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes

Quote:
>I would like to prompt for the ID, EditCode, Note, and QText on the first
>dialog box screen, and provide buttons (Values, Terms, Input, Output) for
>the other information, which would bring up corresponding dialog boxes.

You should easily have room  for all this stuff in one dialog -
then have its handleEvent method respond to the four buttons and
bring up the corresponding dialog boxes for the additional info.
Keep the TMemo display areas down and you'll have lots of room for
everything else - they are scrollable for users who have lots to
say so you don't have to make them BIG.

Is your problem that you don't understand how to make one dialog
respond to some events by popping up other dialogs, or do you
just want alternative ways to get the info you want from the user?

One alternative is to instead make five groups and insert them all
into a single dialog box - one on top of another - and provide the
users with labels with which to select the appropriate group.
Your labels in this case might be Values, Terms, Input, Output then
one more for the "first" page in case it gets covered up by one
of the others when their labels are selected.
Think of each of group as a "page" and each label as a "tab" for
the page - just like all those wonderful tabbed dialogs in OS/2.
This topic was moderately well covered at the
beginning of June in this group (c.os.msdos.programmer.t) .

Another alternative is make the entire dialog scrollable and put
EVERYTHING directly into the dialog and have the user use PgUp/PGDown
and scrollbars to reveal different items in the dialog.
Check out Rachel Polanski's (did I remember that last name right? )
TV FAQ for a description of how to do this - the description looks
a lot like something I posted long ago on this subject so it might
be pretty bad.

Yes, I know Rachel has a partner in creating/maintaining the FAQ -
its just her name that sticks in my mind because I hear a lot more
about her and she seems to post a lot more stuff, and the
fact that my very first post ever to this group really pissed her off. :)

One more thing to think about:  is it necessary to have one dialog handle
all of these things?  Is there any reason you can't use the menu bar,
status line, and/or hot keys to let the user bring up a simple dialog
with just a few items at a time?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes
Sorry about my answer to this appearing in c.l.p.borland - I replied

cross-posted.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes
   Simple question.  Does anyone know where I can get the source to
the turbovision distributed to run under BP 7.0?   I have the source
to 6, but I believe I found a problem with the VIEWS unit and wanted
to check it out.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes

Quote:

>   Simple question.  Does anyone know where I can get the source to
>the turbovision distributed to run under BP 7.0?   I have the source
>to 6, but I believe I found a problem with the VIEWS unit and wanted
>to check it out.

I have TP7.0.  Some TV source was included, but not all of it.  I called
Borland, they had no idea how I could get the missing source.  So I
contacted Borland tech support on CompuServe.  Two support persons
responded, each telling me that they didn't know where the missing
source was.  I have been looking for that source for about 1.5 years
now.  If you find any of the source that was not included with TV2,
please post directions here or in the tubovision group.

  Jack Hartman - Author of Universal Game Editor

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help with Dialog boxes

Quote:

>>   Simple question.  Does anyone know where I can get the source to
>>the turbovision distributed to run under BP 7.0?   I have the source
>>to 6, but I believe I found a problem with the VIEWS unit and wanted
>>to check it out.

>I have TP7.0.  Some TV source was included, but not all of it.

BP7 came with the full RTL for TV 2.0 and all standard units, except a
couple which Borland wanted to maintain private - the Graph unit comes
to mind.  You should be able to purchase the TV RTL directly from
Borland.  It does have many bugs.  Get a copy of the buglist,
TVBUGS31.ZIP, available on several ftp sites.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Need help with dialog boxes.

2. D1: Setup a Change Password dialog box?

3. Self Login dialog box

4. Username of Dialog Box

5. Creating a modeless dialog-box using API

6. TP7.0 OWL Bitmaps into dialog boxes

7. How to display dialog box with no buttons?

8. Problem displaying bordlg class Dialog Box

9. Changing font in Dialog Boxes...

10. TPW1.5/RW Dialog boxes

11. scrollable list in dialog box

12. Program with dialog-box does not start