DirectX with freepascal?
Author Message
 DirectX with freepascal?

Hi

Is it possible to use directX with free Pascal. And if so could somebody
give me a lead on how to do this.

Thanks
Heinrich

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?
Hi!

Quote:
> Is it possible to use directX with free pascal. And if so could somebody
> give me a lead on how to do this.

I would say no because there is no sdk available for Pascal. There is only
one for C++ that can be download on the Microsoft Download site.

CU
Jens

--
[ HOMEPAGE: http://home.t-online.de/home/jens.gesing/index.htm ]
[ PROGRAMMING-DO-IT-YOURSELF: http://www.pdiy.de ]

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?

Quote:

> Is it possible to use directX with free pascal. And if so could somebody
> give me a lead on how to do this.

1 Wrong newsgroup.
2 Check Free Pascal site (contributed section)
        DirectX headers are there somewhere (or search for "toxic avenger"            on
the web)

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?

> I would say no because there is no sdk available for Pascal. There is only
> one for C++ that can be download on the Microsoft Download site.

There is also no general Win32 SDK for Pascal, and yet the somehow
manage to access the Windows API...

Quote:
> --

    ^
     If you inserted a Chr($20) here, most newsreaders could
     automatically exclude your signature when replying.

 - Sebastian

--
function HasAttachment : Boolean;
begin  { Does a posting have an attachment? }

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?

Quote:
>> I would say no because there is no sdk available for Pascal. There is only
>> one for C++ that can be download on the Microsoft Download site.

>There is also no general Win32 SDK for Pascal, and yet the somehow
>manage to access the Windows API...

Most free projects afaik don't even use the SDKs, because of copyright
issues.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?

Quote:
> >> I would say no because there is no sdk available for Pascal. There is
only
> >> one for C++ that can be download on the Microsoft Download site.

> >There is also no general Win32 SDK for Pascal, and yet the somehow
> >manage to access the Windows API...

> Most free projects afaik don't even use the SDKs, because of copyright
> issues.

There's an interesting question, are there no copyright issues with the API?
Where do you get information and how do you avoid legal problems? And where
should I be posting this?

FP

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DirectX with freepascal?

Quote:
>only

>> >There is also no general Win32 SDK for Pascal, and yet the somehow
>> >manage to access the Windows API...

>> Most free projects afaik don't even use the SDKs, because of copyright
>> issues.

>There's an interesting question, are there no copyright issues with the API?

Not really, but IIRC there is a license (a very lenient one) packaged with
SDKs. Probably the free folk found even that to restricting, and did it
because of future problems.

Where to get them from? The mother of all seems to be the djgpp headers.
Newer projects (like JEDI) do directly translate headers btw.

The DJGPP headers are probably created by reverse engineering binaries.
(which for somebody involved in compilers, -libraries etc is not THAT
difficult)

An example from my own experience, and maybe even semi ontopic:
I had problems reading the awfull kernel level and stub (CSU) headers of
FreeBSD. (more macro code than actual statements, 3 asm instruction procedures
scattered over 9 files etc), it was all that confusing that I decided
to simply objdump (disassemble) gcc compiled programs, and I had an initial
version in one evening.

Quote:
>Where do you get information and how do you avoid legal problems?

In binaries, friendly projects (I directly admit this is easier for us as
follower then for a pioneering project like gcc/libc), headers with less
restricting info.
You need to create a kind of network.

Quote:
>And where should I be posting this?

This could apply to reverse enigneering 16-bits .dll for use with TPwin, so
it is ontopic :-)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. DirectX and FreePascal

2. I need to convert dos prot mode app to 32bit using directX

3. I need to convert dos prot mode app to 32bit using directX

4. DirectX interfaces?

5. How to Program Win95 and DirectX ?

6. DirectX access

7. DirectX interfaces?