Pentium pro and BP 7
Author Message
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Hi,

Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.

Anyone experienced this also ?

Thanks Franc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

: Hi,
:
: Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
: Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
: Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.
:
: Anyone experienced this also ?
:
: Thanks Franc.
:

  Hello,

I think you may have used the Delay procedure... Am I right? It is buggy,
and on very fast machines it causes errors... You may find several fixes for
this problem on the net, but I can't remember exactly... If you don't need
millisecond accuracy, it is easy to write one for yourself. You could use the
BIOS timer tick variable (located at $40:6C, and accessable using a pointer
or the MemL array) to wait the specified time. That variable increases by
one in every 1/18th of a second.

                        Best regards,

--

                                Balazs Scheidler

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Author of Turbo Vision Resource WorkShop, the ultimate resource toolkit |
| for Turbo Vision for Pascal and C++. You can get the latest version at  |
| ftp://tolna.hungary.net/pub/tvrw/tvrw33d.zip                            |
| ftp://simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/turbovis/tvrw33d.zip               |
*--------------------------------------------*bAzSi*----------------------*

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:
>Hi,
>Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
>Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
>Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.
>Anyone experienced this also ?

Actually quite a few people did, as you can see from the many postings
in the last few weeks. My patch is at:

http://www.mi.uni-erlangen.de/~heckenb/programs.htm#NewDelay

Hope this helps,
Frank

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:
>Hi,

>Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
>Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
>Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.

>Anyone experienced this also ?

Yes.

Timo, how about a reference to Frank Heckenbach's stuff in the next
TSFAQP? I think that your present version only mentions the "old" Delay
problem.

From pascal.htm (which I think is about right) at the URL below :

<A NAME="Delay"> <H4>Bugs in the Crt.Delay procedure</H4> </A>

The standard Crt.Delay procedure uses a count-loop calibrated during
program startup, employing the 18.2Hz clock to give a standard interval,
and using the same loop with this calibration when Delay is running.

miscalibrate when  this counter of type WORD, overflowed during startup
- AFAIR, this occurred with a 486DX33, but not with a 286-12.
I've heard that "the limit was about 486/25 or perhaps 386/40 with
cache".  There was a TP6 patch; TP7 & BP7 are OK.

"When you try to run a program written in Turbo Pascal on a CPU running
at 200MHz or more, and the program uses the Crt unit, it will crash
before in executes the first main program line and will report a divide
by zero error."

"That's correct, though the error message isn't quite accurate. There is
in fact no division by 0, but a division of a large number by 55 whose
result won't fit into a 16 bit register. But the CPU generates the same
'divide by zero' exception/interrupt for that."

<A HREF="http://www.mi.uni-erlangen.de/~heckenb/programs.htm#NewDelay">
NewDelay</A> patch is now available.  He says now (96/11/18) :
I updated the patch for the bug in the Delay procedure of
the unit Crt. The patch now works for TP 6.0 as well as
TP/BP 7.00/7.01. It can patch Crt at runtime, so you can
use it even if you don't have the source code of Crt.

in Pascal, along the same (or different) lines but with a longer
counter.

Salmi's TurboPascal FAQ, in Kris Heidenstrom's Timing FAQ, and in the
newsgroup comp.lang.pascal.borland.  Try a DejaNews search on "Frank
Heckenbach".

--

    http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

:>Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
:>Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a

:Timo, how about a reference to Frank Heckenbach's stuff in the next
:TSFAQP? I think that your present version only mentions the "old" Delay
:problem.

It is a good suggestion, as always from you, my good net friend
John. There is a problem however. The problem is that at some point
I have to draw the line how far I can go in the FAQ with pointers to
outside material. Especially in cases where I am unable to try out
the solutions myself (I do not have a P-pro 200 :-). What I'll do at
this juncture is to make a general reference of the possibility of
strife with some other processors than listed in the FAQ.

   All the best, Timo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:
>Hi,

>Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
>Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
>Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.

>Anyone experienced this also ?

>Thanks Franc.

Hello!

Take a look at http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pascal.htm

/Bo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:
>Hi,
>Has anyone experience with running BP7 protected mode programs on a
>Pentium Pro 200. Today I discovered that my program doesn't run on a
>Pentium Pro. I get a division by zero runtime error in the CRT unit.
>Anyone experienced this also ?
>Thanks Franc.

Sounds like maybe a timing problem... During speed-adjustment for
delay() I guess.
Squirrel {*filter*} Information Page
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~uglmiller/home.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:
> Hello!

> Take a look at http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pascal.htm

> /Bo

Is it true that BP7 programs don't run on Pentium Pro CPU's?

Your server generates quite an interesting error mesage:

400 Bad Request
Your request '' has bad syntax or is inherently impossible to satisfy.
thttpd/1.00.dis++
HTTP/1.0 400 Cache Detected Error Server: squid/1.0.20 Date: Monday,
16-Dec-96 04:15:44 GMT Expires: Monday, 16-Dec-96 04:20:44 GMT
Last-Modified: Monday, 16-Dec-96 04:15:44 GMT Content-Type: text/html
ERROR
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pascal.htm
The following error was encountered:
?Read Error
The system returned:
 (131) Connection reset by peer
This means that:
    The remote site or network may be down.  Please try again.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pentium pro and BP 7

Quote:

>> Take a look at http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pascal.htm
>Is it true that BP7 programs don't run on Pentium Pro CPU's?

Not actually. Programs that use Crt will produce a runtime error
during initialization, but my patch will fix it. It's at
http://www.mi.uni-erlangen.de/~heckenb/programs.htm#NewDelay
and it's also linked from John's page (see above).

Quote:
>Your server generates quite an interesting error mesage:
>400 Bad Request
>Your request '' has bad syntax or is inherently impossible to satisfy.
>[...]

How many times did you try? You know, nobody is perfect, neither the net.
Before posting about it, you should always try another day...
I just reached the URL fine.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Pentium vs Pentium Pro code

2. Pentium Pro II/266

3. CRT pentium PRO/II bug work-around

4. Error 200 with Pentium Pro?

5. Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

6. RTM.EXE, on Pentium Pro 200Mhz??

7. Pentium Pro won't run protected mode programs

8. Pentium Pro 200 Problem

9. Pentium Pro problems

10. BP 7 programs don't run with a Pentium II 400

11. BP 7.0 and problem in Pentium II

12. BP 7.0 Patch für Pentium