OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?
Author Message
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:

>I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turboPascal. Does
>anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

It's working today.  Are you using a correct server, which means one of
Borland's?

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?
I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turbopascal. Does
anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

Regards,
Jim Wilson
(Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'SpamThis'
from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Mon, 26 May 2003 23:43:40 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:
>I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turbopascal. Does
>anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

Working from here.

Are you by any chance getting the group from other than Borland's own
news server ? b.p.tp is supposed to be on a closed newsserver accessible
through their own servers only. It leaks out via various means. If you
are reading it not from Borlands servers then you could well see that
there is no traffic.

--
Pedt Scragg     http://signpost-design.co.uk/   ODP Editor: http://dmoz.org/

"If you don't need a lot of space/bandwidth then why are you paying for it" ?

Wed, 28 May 2003 15:31:35 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?
On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 07:31:35 +0000, Pedt Scragg

Quote:

>Are you by any chance getting the group from other than Borland's own
>news server ? b.p.tp is supposed to be on a closed newsserver accessible
>through their own servers only. It leaks out via various means. If you
>are reading it not from Borlands servers then you could well see that
>there is no traffic.

This is very strange. I've been using FreeAgent for about 2 or 3 years
now and I've had it configured for the NG's I use most often. A few
weeks back b.p.tp just stopped receiving -- no errors, no notices,
nothing. So, I removed it from my list of subscribed groups, went and
refreshed all NG's and b.p.tp is not even listed anymore! Where are
you getting it from?

Regards,
Jim Wilson
(Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'SpamThis'
from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 03:37:37 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:
>On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 07:31:35 +0000, Pedt Scragg

>>Are you by any chance getting the group from other than Borland's own
>>news server ? b.p.tp is supposed to be on a closed newsserver accessible
>>through their own servers only. It leaks out via various means. If you
>>are reading it not from Borlands servers then you could well see that
>>there is no traffic.

>This is very strange. I've been using FreeAgent for about 2 or 3 years
>now and I've had it configured for the NG's I use most often. A few
>weeks back b.p.tp just stopped receiving -- no errors, no notices,
>nothing. So, I removed it from my list of subscribed groups, went and
>refreshed all NG's and b.p.tp is not even listed anymore! Where are
>you getting it from?

I get it directly from news server forums.borland.com
--
Pedt

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:51:47 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:

>>nothing. So, I removed it from my list of subscribed groups, went and
>>refreshed all NG's and b.p.tp is not even listed anymore! Where are
>>you getting it from?

>I get it directly from news server forums.borland.com

Sounds like a firewall that doesn't let you connect to newsservers outside
your domain. Try to concact your sysadmin

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:47:23 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:

>>I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turbopascal. Does
>>anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

>It's working today.  Are you using a correct server, which means one of
>Borland's?

Since it's been mentioned, is there any charter difference --what topics
are proper, &c between c.l.p.b and b.p.t?  Does Borland keep an eye on
b.p.t?  Does any officially informed person step in to explain something
to puzzled posters?

FWIW, I get b.p.t from newsguy, and they're showing up there.
Is there any rule, custom, standing advice, or taboo about when to post
on one and when on the other?

--

                     Snail: 37 Clinton St., Oneonta, NY 13820, USA
                     Just your opinion, please, Ma'am.  No fax.

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:10:36 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

wrote

Quote:

>>>I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turbopascal. Does
>>>anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

>>It's working today.  Are you using a correct server, which means one of
>>Borland's?

>Since it's been mentioned, is there any charter difference --what topics
>are proper, &c between c.l.p.b and b.p.t?

Both are for Borland / Turbo Pascal.

Quote:
>Does Borland keep an eye on
>b.p.t?  Does any officially informed person step in to explain something
>to puzzled posters?

TeamB keep an eye on b.p.tp and often cancel binary postings there. They
are also a good source of replies to questions. AFAIAA there is no-one
'official' who steps in to explain about the workings of the group.

Quote:

>FWIW, I get b.p.t from newsguy, and they're showing up there.

It leaks from the Borland servers and thus gets propagated. However if
you do not post through the Borland server, those who read the group off
the Borland server will never see the post.

Quote:
>Is there any rule, custom, standing advice, or taboo about when to post
>on one and when on the other?

Try not to crosspost between the b.p.tp and clpb as Borland don't seem
to like it. I would personally say post to one group then, if you don't
get a suitable answer in a reasonable length of time then post to the
other and avoid making separate posts at the same time for the same
question to both groups.
--
Good King Wenceslas rang his local pizza delivery. Owner asked if he'd like
'the usual'. 'Yes' he said, 'Deep pan, crisp and even'

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:02:44 GMT
 OT: is borland.public.turbopascal gone?

Quote:

>>>I can't seem to get any updates from borland.public.turbopascal. Does
>>>anyone know if it's gone the way of TP? (disappeared)

>>It's working today.  Are you using a correct server, which means one of
>>Borland's?

>Since it's been mentioned, is there any charter difference --what topics
>are proper, &c between c.l.p.b and b.p.t?  Does Borland keep an eye on
>b.p.t?  Does any officially informed person step in to explain something
>to puzzled posters?

>FWIW, I get b.p.t from newsguy, and they're showing up there.
>Is there any rule, custom, standing advice, or taboo about when to post
>on one and when on the other?

MAP :

    BORLAND
    EXPERTS
      ^ |
      | v          leak
    BORLAND --->--->--->--->--- USENET
    SERVERS       one-way       SERVERS
      ^ |                         ^ |
      | v                         | v
   INFORMED                    IGNORANT
     USERS                       USERS

follow.

From my pas-lnx1.htm (q.v.) :

  Before using those newsgroups, read the
  http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html   Guidelines
  very carefully, especially the closing items.
  See also   http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html
  General Inprise/Borland Newsgroup FAQs.

you want to breach Borland's guidelines, for example on cross-posting.

A logical reason for reading from Usenet is that you can read the
questions and answers of those who connect there; but there us no need
to reply to those servers as long as the leak remains reliable.

Borland pays little attention to non-Delphi Pascal; but I seem to recall
that there is a slight presence in b.p.t by TeamB, a collection of
independent experts recognised and empowered by Borland.

There is a mention at the end of Sec. 1 of the c.l.p.b mFAQ; but it
could perhaps be increased with a link to Borland as above.

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:59:40 GMT

1. Should clpb Mini-FAQ be also x-posted to borland.public.turbopascal

2. TTables or Am I going MAD??

3. Borland: Why not put Toolboxes in public domain?

4. Borland FTP Server - How Slow Can You Go

5. OT: Uploading to Garbo

6. automated sql-login with ttable ot tquery???

7. OT: PC DOS 2000 US CD

8. OT - Programmer war stories

9. Disable ctrl+break in Free Pascal [little OT]

10. Disable ctrl+break in Free Pascal [little OT]

11. OT-My apologies; 2 questions

12. OT: Referential Integrity