Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7
Author Message
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7

Quote:

> Do I need any tools for using the OpenFile-Dialog with long filenames?

I think you can't do this part with Borland Pascal.  BP is a 16-bit app
and you only get long filename support with the 32-bit dialogs.

     - Rich

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7

Quote:

> > Do I need any tools for using the OpenFile-Dialog with long filenames?

> I think you can't do this part with Borland Pascal.  BP is a 16-bit app
> and you only get long filename support with the 32-bit dialogs.

Not entirely true.  It *can* be done, sort of.  The LFN functions are provided
by VFAT, which makes the interrupt functions virtual (which is why you can see
long names in a DOS window, which is just 16-bit COMMAND.COM running under Win
95).  The interrupt services should be callable from any program, whether 16-
or 32-bit.

Now, where dialogs apply, a little work would be in order.  There's not really
any practical way to use the native Win 95 dialogs (if there's any way at
all), but if using OWL with BPW or TPW, it would likely be possible to write a
TFileDialog descendant which can understand LFNs.

Quote:
>      - Rich

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7

Quote:

> ....  There's not really
> any practical way to use the native Win 95 dialogs (if there's any way at
> all)...

Isn't that what I said?  It's what I meant.

When I wrote, "you only get long filename support with the 32-bit
dialogs" what I meant was, "The Windows-supplied 16-bit dialogs do
not support long filenames."  I didn't mean that one couldn't write
his own.

     - Rich

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7

Quote:
> Is there any possibility to use the common Win95-Dialogs in a program compiled
> by Borland Pascal 7?

I think there is no way to use it.

Quote:
> Do I need any tools for using the OpenFile-Dialog with long filenames?

Not for the dialog, but for your program you must have routines that can handle
long filenames. In this case have a look at my homepage
http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.killer and at LFN106.ZIP:

Support of long filenames under Win95 (and above) for TP6, TP/BP7 and compatible
compilers. After integrate this unit all default-pascal-routines has the ability
to work with long filenames. It's NOT necessary to rewrite an existing program!
All routines detect automatically if they are supported and are disabled by itself
if not. Changing long filenames in short also avaible under pur DOS. Over 3600
lines full (in german) documented pascal-source. Can be used for Real-, Dpmi- and
Windows-programs. Hooks also into unit Dos and/or unit WinDos.

By, Andreas.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7

Quote:
> Is there any possibility to use the common Win95-Dialogs in a program compiled
> by Borland Pascal 7?

> Do I need any tools for using the OpenFile-Dialog with long filenames?

There's a unit called Call32NT which helps you calling 32-bit functions
from a 16-bit pascal program. I used it to access the registry functions.)

called OPEN_NT. This allows you to use the open dialog.
I tried it: It works! :)
Please mail me if you want it.

Andras

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Using WIN95-Dialogs in BP7
Quote:

>> > Is there any possibility to use the common Win95-Dialogs in a program compiled
>> > by Borland Pascal 7?

>> > Do I need any tools for using the OpenFile-Dialog with long filenames?

>> There's a unit called Call32NT which helps you calling 32-bit functions
>> from a 16-bit pascal program. I used it to access the registry functions.)

But unfortunatley you can't use Commdlg32 dialogs with it..... :-((
- Ulli -

The Coder's Knowledge Base
http://www.netalive.org/ckb

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. BP7 - Problem loading & redisplaying dialog

2. 256c Bitmap in Dialog Boxes under BP7

3. MS Style Dialogs with BP7 and Win 3.11

4. DELPHI : BP7 Dialogs --> Delphi

5. BP7-Debugger and Win95

6. BP7 under Win95?

7. Problem: BP7 some DPMI progs crash under Win3x and Win95

8. Filesize Function with Win95 & BP7

9. filesize - BP7 & Win95

10. filesize - BP7 & Win95

11. Filesize Function with Win95 & BP7

12. How to create an PPP-Connection under BP7/Win95