How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment
Author Message
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

hi,
   hi you guys could you help me.How in the hell I can display the ASCII
extended characters in the text editor.e.g

             write ('ASCII character');

Are there any key combination that I should pressed.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

Quote:

> hi you guys could you help me. How in the hell I can display the ASCII
> extended characters in the text editor.e.g

>              write ('ASCII character');

> Are there any key combination that I should pressed.

Does the ALT-numpad trick not work? Anyway, personally I'd use a numeric
representation instead -- if only because it will show up better on most
printers.

BTW, there's really no such thing as "extended ASCII". ASCII stops at 127;
the "high-bit" characters aren't ASCII.

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

Quote:

>BTW, there's really no such thing as "extended ASCII". ASCII stops at 127;
>the "high-bit" characters aren't ASCII.

That is why it is called _extended_. It is ASCII with extra codes
added, therefore extended ASCII. IMO the word describes it perfectly.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

Quote:
> That is why it is called _extended_. It is ASCII with extra codes
> added, therefore extended ASCII. IMO the word describes it perfectly.

No. ASCII is the American Standard Code for Information Interchange. The
characters beyond 127 are _not_ standardized by ASCII. Their interpretation
depends on what 8-bit character set you're working in. That could be one of
_several_ IBM code pages (code page 437 being the default in the U.S.; 850
in Western Europe, I believe), or ISO-8859-x, or something else. None of
these are the same as each other. "Extended ASCII" is a misnomer, and it's
misleading, because it doesn't tell you what character set you're really
working with.

Living in Finland, surely you are familiar with character set issues. :-)

--
This is a test. This is only a test.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

Quote:
>That is why it is called _extended_. It is ASCII with extra codes
>added, therefore extended ASCII. IMO the word describes it perfectly.

Added, yes, but not ASCII. ASCII is defined for codes 0-127 only (and
implemented fairly loosely in my experience). I believe that ANSI were
responsible for some of these "extended sets"?

Talking of which, any further news on Unicode support for Pascal?

--

http://www.ntos.demon.co.uk

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How to display ascii character in turbo pascal intragrated environment

Quote:

>> That is why it is called _extended_. It is ASCII with extra codes
>> added, therefore extended ASCII. IMO the word describes it perfectly.

>No. ASCII is the American Standard Code for Information Interchange. The
>characters beyond 127 are _not_ standardized by ASCII.

That is why it is called _extended_ ASCII. It is ASCII with codes added
in extension. How hard is that to get?

Quote:
>Their interpretation
>depends on what 8-bit character set you're working in.

Yes, there are several different extended ASCII codes.

Quote:
>That could be one of
>_several_ IBM code pages (code page 437 being the default in the U.S.; 850
>in Western Europe, I believe), or ISO-8859-x, or something else.

Well IBM wants to call 850 standard for Western Europe. However, I do
not use it as it is totally unnecessary here. One needs it in Denmark or
Norway though. (unless one uses their local set which is almost like
437)

Quote:
> None of
>these are the same as each other. "Extended ASCII" is a misnomer, and it's
>misleading, because it doesn't tell you what character set you're really
>working with.

It pretty well describes the sets. Note that having wrong extended ASCII
set does not make the text unreadable, just somewhat funny. (That is if
the text uses Latin alphabet, for example Russian is another matter)

Quote:

>Living in Finland, surely you are familiar with character set issues. :-)

Yes I am, and I call them extended ASCII sets.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. HELP ME!!!!!! ASCII Characters in Turbo Pascal 7.0

2. ASCII Characters in Turbo Pascal 7.0

3. return character in ascii for pascal HELP!

4. envir10.zip Environment/MCB manipulation Turbo Pascal source

5. Converting Turbo Pascal file to ASCII or text

6. tptutr04.zip Glenn Grotzinger's ascii-text Turbo Pascal Tutor

7. tptutr11.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-22

8. tptutr10.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-22

9. tptutr0i.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-21

10. tptutr0g.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-19, G.Grotzinger

11. tptutr0e.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-17

12. tptutr0d.zip ASCII-text Turbo Pascal Tutor 1-16