EDIT: Beginning Turbo Pascal Tutorial Part 10
Author Message
 EDIT: Beginning Turbo Pascal Tutorial Part 10

                         Turbo Pascal for DOS Tutorial
                             by Glenn Grotzinger
        Part 10 -- binary files; units, overlays, and include files.
             All parts copyright 1995-6 (c) by Glenn Grotzinger.

        There was no prior problem, so lets get started...

Typed binary files
==================
We know that files can be of type text.  We can also make them type
"file of <datatype>".  We can read and write binary data types to
disk.  Here's an example.   Keep in mind that with typed binary files,
you can only read and write the type of file you define it to be.  For
the example below, we can only deal with integers with this file.  The
type we may use may be anything that we have covered up to this point.
We also will see that reading, accessing and writing of typed binary
files will be no different than accessing text files, except we can
not make use of readln and writeln (as those are for text files only).

program integers2disk;
{ writing integers 1 thru 10 to a disk data file, then reading 'em
back }
   var
     datafile: file of integer;
     i: integer;
   begin
     assign(datafile, 'INTEGERS.DAT');
     rewrite(datafile);
     for i := 1 to 10 do
       write(datafile, i);
     close(datafile);  { done with write }
     reset(datafile);  { now lets start reading }
     read(datafile, i);
     while not eof(datafile) do { we can use the same concept }
       begin
         writeln(i);
         read(datafile, i);
       end;
     writeln(i);
     close(datafile);
   end.

You will notice the numbers 1 through 10 come up.  Look for the file
named INTEGERS.DAT, and then load it up in a text editor.  You will
notice that the file is essentially garbage to the human eye.  That,
as you see, is how the computer sees integers.  In part 11, I will
explain storage methods of many many different variables, and
introduce a few new types of things we can define.  We can use
records, integers, characters, strings, whatever...with a typed file
as long as we comply with the specific type we assign a file to be in
the var line.

Untyped Binary Files
====================
We can also open binary files as an untyped, unscratched (essentially)
file.  There we simply use the declaration "file". (I think this is
ver7 dependent, am I right?)  Anyway, in addition to this, we have to
learn a few new commands in order to use untyped files.

BLOCKREAD(filevar, varlocation, size of varlocation, totalread);

filevar is the untyped file variable.
varlocation is the location of where we read the variable into.
size of varlocation is how big varlocation is.
totalread is how much of varlocation that was readable. (optional)

BLOCKWRITE(filevar, varlocation, totalread, totalwritten);

filevar is the untyped file variable.
varlocation is the location of where we read the variable into.
totalread is how much of varlocation was readable. (optional)
totalwritten is how much of varlocation that was written. (optional)

SizeOf(varlocation)

Function that gives total size of a variable in bytes.

Maximum readable by BlockRead: 64KB.

Reset and Rewrite have a record size parameter if we deal with an
untyped file.

Probably, the best thing to make things clearer is to give an example.
This program does the same thing as the last one does, but only with
an untyped file.  See the differences in processing...

program int2untypedfile;

  var
    datafile: file;
    i: integer;
    numread: integer;

  begin
    clrscr;
    assign(datafile, 'INTEGERS.DAT');
    rewrite(datafile, 1);
    for i := 1 to 10 do
      blockwrite(datafile, i, sizeof(i));
    close(datafile);
    reset(datafile, 1);
    blockread(datafile, i, sizeof(i), numread);
    while numread <> 0 do
      begin
        writeln(i);
        blockread(datafile, i, sizeof(i), numread);
      end;
    close(datafile);
  end.

This program performs essentially the same function as the first
example program, but we are using an untyped file.  Blockread and
blockwrite are used in very limited manners here.  It's *VERY GOOD*
for you to experiment with their use!!!!!!!   As far as the EOF goes
on a comparison, blockread returns how many records it actually read.
We use that as an equivalent.

The 2 missing DOS file functions
================================
We now have the tools to perform the 2 missing DOS file functions that
you probably recognized were gone from part 8, copying files, and
moving files.

Copying files essentially, is repeated blockreads and blockwrites
until all the input file is read and all the output file is written.
We can do it with either typed or untyped files.  An untyped file
example may be found on page 14 of the Turbo Pascal 7.0 Programmer's
Reference.

Moving files is a copy of an input file to a new location, followed by
erasure of the input file.

Units
=====
A unit is what you see probably on your drive in the TP/units
directory. Compiled units are TPU files.  They are accessed via USES
clauses at the start.  CRT, DOS, and WinDos are some of the provided
units we have already encountered.  Nothing is stopping us from
writing our own, though.  The actual coding of procedures/functions
that we place into units is no different.  The format of the unit,
though, is something we need to think about.  An example is the best
thing for that.  This is a simple implementation of a unit, with
examples to give you some idea of a skeleton to place procedures and
functions into.

unit myunit;

  interface
     { all global const, type, and var variables go here as well as
any code we may want to run as initialization for starting the unit. }

     { procedures and function headers are listed here }

     procedure writehello(str: string);

  implementation
     { actual procedural code goes here, as it would in a regular
program }

     procedure writehello(str: string);  { must be same as above }
       begin
         writeln(str);
       end;

  end.

The unit up above is compilable to disk/memory, but unrunable.
Essentially, what it is is a library of procedures/functions that we
may use in other programs.  Let's get an example out on how to use one
of our own units.

program tmyunit; uses myunit; { must match ID at beginning }
  var
    str: string;
  begin
    str := 'Hello!  Courtesy of myunit!';
    writehello(str);
  end.

Though this program/unit combination is ludicrous, it does illustrate
exactly how to incorporate your own unit with MANY functions into your
programming, if your project gets too big, or for portability's sake
on some of your frequently used procedures.

Overlays
========
This will describe how to use TP's overlay facility.  It must be used
with units.  Typically, my thoughts are that if you get a large enough
project to dictate the use of overlays (we can use 'em on anysize
projects, but the memory taken up by the overlay manager far uses more
memory on smaller projects to make it an advantage to habitually do
this).  We will use the overlay facility with the unit/program set
above for example purposes.

ONLY CODE IN UNITS HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE OVERLAID!  System, CRT,
Graph, and Overlay (if I remember right) are non-overlayable.

{$O+} is a compiler directive for UNITS only which designate a unit
which is OK to overlay.  {$O-} is the default, which says it's not OK
to overlay a unit.

To get to the overlay manager, we must use the overlay unit.

After the overlay unit, we need to use the {$O <TPU name>} compiler
directive to specify which units that we want to compile as an
overlay.

WARNING: It is good to check your conversion to overlays in a program
with a copy of your source code.  If you alter it with overlays in
mind and it doesn't work (it's known to happen -- a procedure works
ONLY when it's not overlaid...), you won't have to go through the work
to alter it back if it doesn't work right...

NOTE: You must compile to disk, then run when you work with overlays.

Results come back in the OvrResult variable.  Here's a list...

                  0       Success
                 -1       Overlay manager error.
                 -2       Overlay file not found.
                 -3       Not enough memory for overlay buffer.
                 -4       Overlay I/O error.
                 -5       No EMS driver installed.
                 -6       Not enough EMS memory.

As for examples, let's look at the unit set up to overlay.  As we can
see, the only real difference (which is a good policy to make), is
that there is the {$O+} compiler directive there now...

{$O+}
unit myunit;

  interface
     { all global const, type, and var variables go here as well as
any        code we may want to run as initialization for starting the
unit. }

     { procedures and function headers are listed here }

     procedure writehello(str: string);

  implementation
     { actual procedural code goes here, as it would in a regular
program }

     procedure writehello(str: string);  { must be same as above }
       begin
         writeln(str);
       end;

  end.

Now lets look into the program itself.  It's error-reporting from the
overlay manager isn't great.  It stops the program if the overlay
won't load, but doesn't do a thing, really, with the ems section.

program tmyunit; uses myunit, overlay;

  {$O MYUNIT.TPU}        { include myunit in the overlay }
  var
    str: string;
  begin
    ovrinit('TMYUNIT.OVR'); { final overlay file name/init for
program. }
    if OvrResult <> 0 then
      begin
        writeln('There is a problem');
        halt(1);
      end
    else
      write('Overlay installed ');
    ovrinitems;        {init overlay for EMS.  Usable after ovrinit}
    if OvrResult <> 0 then
      writeln('There was a problem putting the overlay in EMS')
    else
      writeln('in EMS memory.');
    str := 'Hello!  Courtesy of myunit!';
    writeln;
    writehello(str);
  end.

EXE Overlays
============
Here's how to set up EXE overlays.  The DOS copy command features the
B switch.  For example, to take the programs source file above and
attach the overlay to the end of the EXE (be sure you run any exe
packers/encryptors before you do this!), use the following:

        COPY /B TMYUNIT.EXE+TMYUNIT.OVR

Then the change that needs to be made in the source for the program is
to change the overinit line to read TMYUNIT.EXE instead of
TMYUNIT.OVR.  You should be able to handle doing this and
understanding what is going on.

Include Files
=============
Use the {$I <filename>} compiler directive at the position the include
file is to be placed.  An include file is code that is in another
file, which may be considered as "part of the program" at the position
the {$I ..} compiler directive is at.

Copy function
=============
You can use the copy function to get a portion of a string into
another part of a string.  For example...

        str := copy('TurboPascal', 5, 3);
        writeln(str);      { writes oPa }

Programming Practice for Part #10
=================================
Write a copy equivalent which will copy one file from a given source
to a given destination.  Be sure it works with any accepted DOS
combination of statements.  Make the display of the program look
something like this.

copying README.TXT (32,212 bytes)...done.

Code as much of this program up into a unit as possible, and make the
unit into an overlay.  Write the done when the file copies...Do not
bother to support any software switches.  Be sure the file is an exact
copy, meaning the date and time are identical as well as the file
attributes.

Next Time
---------
Interfacing with a common format; how data types are stored in memory
and on disk.  You may wish to obtain use of a hex viewer for this next

Glenn Grotzinger
Web Page: http://www.*-*-*.com/
Writer of Excellent Training Manual known as the TP Tutorial.
You may find this material on the web page eventually.
Other interesting things will eventually exist as well.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. EDIT: Beginning Turbo Pascal Tutorial Part 10

2. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 10

3. EDIT: Beginning Turbo Pascal Tutorial Part 11

4. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 7

5. Index of Beginning Pascal Tutorial Parts

6. Index of Beginning Pascal Tutorial Parts.

7. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 2 (repost)

8. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 4

9. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 5

10. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 6

11. Beginning Pascal Tutorial Part 8