Sort-of-new Programmer seeks help.
Author Message
 Sort-of-new Programmer seeks help.

I recently saw a very cheap chat program that wrote to a file on the
server when you typed stuff in, then someone else running the program on
their computer would see your chat because it was reading the file.  then
they could type back and write to it and you'd read it.  I was wondering
if anyone had any ideas on how to go about this.  I have tried a few
things, but they haven't worked.  I just started learning Pascal in
September.  I'm in an AP Computer Science class and it is really boring.
I'm waiting for the next book so I can learn some decent stuff that will
allow me to do some cool programs.  Once again, thanks!

~Andrew Bishop

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sort-of-new Programmer seeks help.

Quote:

>I recently saw a very cheap chat program that wrote to a file on the
>server when you typed stuff in, then someone else running the program on
>their computer would see your chat because it was reading the file.  then
>they could type back and write to it and you'd read it.  I was wondering
>if anyone had any ideas on how to go about this.

Not a {*filter*}e...not the best way....but very easy....both programs
open the file in read/write mode...Write to file when someone
chats...to check if something to read for other programs check to see
if they're at end of file or not....if not, write out until eof....

Quote:
>I just started learning Pascal in September.
> I'm in an AP Computer Science class and it is really boring.
>I'm waiting for the next book so I can learn some decent stuff that will
>allow me to do some cool programs.  Once again, thanks!

What you're learning now is going to allow you to do something with
your programming.  Since you only started in September, you're very
new at it.  Many of us take many months to get to the point of doing
anything truly useful.  And what you may classify as "cool" may take a
programmer years upon years to learn.  My recommendation is after your
classes to look at ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbopas/tptutr11.zip.  It
will cover much of what you're doing and show some useful stuff.

Keep in mind...what you've learned is but only a drop in the
bucket...and for ideas of how to go about things..the programming
assignments are for that...to get you to thinking about how to solve
these problems....

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. HELP! New Programmer

2. Programmer seeking job

3. Programmer seeking job

4. New programmer (help)

5. help, please new programmer

6. SEEKING DELPHI PROGRAMMERS!

7. SEEKING DELPHI PROGRAMMERS!

8. Silicon Valley startup seeks programmers

9. New Programmer needs help.

10. Programmers, DBA's, Web Authors sought

11. SEEKING DELPHI PROGRAMMERS!

12. New Mail List for Database Programmers and Support