MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5
Author Message
 MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5

My recent post on this attracted nil response so
here is the bit i'm stuck on at the moment.

I have TMyMDIWindow decended from TMDIWindow and
TMyChildWindow decended from TWindow.

Is there a way of getting TMyChildWindow to send
a message to TMyMDIWindow and, if so, how. For
that matter, how does TMyChildWindow know where
its MDIWindow is.

      _  ___   ___   ___   ____
     | |/ _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _  |
     | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
     | | |_| | |_| | |_| | |_| |
  _  | |\___/|  __/|  __/ \____|
 | |_| |     | |   | |
  \___/      |_|   |_|

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5

Quote:
>I have TMyMDIWindow decended from TMDIWindow and
>TMyChildWindow decended from TWindow.
>Is there a way of getting TMyChildWindow to send
>a message to TMyMDIWindow and, if so, how. For
>that matter, how does TMyChildWindow know where
>its MDIWindow is?

Greetings,
                 I am presently programming in C++ under Borland, but I think
this might also apply to TP for Windows, did you check if TWindow has the
SendMessage method? It sends a message to a window. This might do the trick.

Carl Eric Codere (aka The Black One)
Pascal and asm programming
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/codc01

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5

Quote:
>      _  ___   ___   ___   ____
>     | |/ _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _  |
>     | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
>     | | |_| | |_| | |_| | |_| |
>  _  | |\___/|  __/|  __/ \____|
> | |_| |     | |   | |
>  \___/      |_|   |_|

I think signatures like this are top.  I, (like many people), use a
reader that has a variable pitch font for the body of the text, and
sigs like yours come out as absoloute kak.  Just thought I'd let you
and the rest of the world know.

MdP
Veteran of the Bermuda Exploration Venture 1991-1953

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5

Quote:

> My recent post on this attracted nil response so
> here is the bit i'm stuck on at the moment.

> I have TMyMDIWindow decended from TMDIWindow and
> TMyChildWindow decended from TWindow.

> Is there a way of getting TMyChildWindow to send
> a message to TMyMDIWindow and, if so, how. For
> that matter, how does TMyChildWindow know where
> its MDIWindow is.

When you Init TMyChildWindow you have to hand over a pointer to the

stored in TWindow.Parent. You can  send messages using this variable
like this:
SendMessage(Parent^.HWindow,MyMessage.....)
--
Ulli Conrad
Goettingen, Planet Earth

http://www.gwdg.de/~uconrad1

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MDI Windows problem in TPW1.5

:I am presently programming in C++ under Borland, but I think
:this might also apply to TP for Windows, did you check if TWindow has the
:SendMessage method? It sends a message to a window. This might do the trick.

This has me thinking. Message methods work with dialogs so
can I write a TDialog decendant with a 'File of' as one of
its fields. I could then do some of my file access by sending
messages to the dialog and the rest by using the controls
on the dialog itself.

I know how to get a modal dialog to work two-way with a
resource. I just need to figure out the syntax for a modeless
dialog to pass messages to its parent and v-v. Thoughts?

BTW I am writing a double entry ledger system. Each dialog
would be responsible for a ledger and could send messages
through the mainwindow to be passed to another dialog, thus
updating the debit record in one file and the credit record
in the other.

Can anyone see a problem with this.
      _  ___   ___   ___   ____
     | |/ _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _  |
     | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
     | | |_| | |_| | |_| | |_| |
  _  | |\___/|  __/|  __/ \____|
 | |_| |     | |   | |
  \___/      |_|   |_|

http://users.powernet.co.uk/joppa/index.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. TPW1.5: MDI and TWindow - Problem

2. TPW1.5 MDI Children

3. MDI menus in TPW1.5

4. windows text cursor (tpw1.5)

5. No multiple Child windows in MDI application ?

6. MDI MainForm with a Windows Control

7. help MDI File Windows

8. ???MDI Child Windows???

9. Maximized MDI child windows - close/system buttons vanishes in thin air

10. Object Windows, Fonts, MDI Help me.

11. MDI child from MDI child

12. TPW1.5 DefWndProc problem