WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER
Author Message
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

I have been told that the reason some programs from the past won't
run under DOS 6 or higher, is because there is a conflict with data
compresssion on hard disk. DOS 6 or higher allows what is called
double spacing on the hard disk. I like to know if Pascal 5.5 will
run correctly under DOS 6 and not corrupt my hard drive by writting
to the wrong file on my hard disk.
Is there any other problem which may come up by trying to run
T/PASCAL 5.5 UNDER dos 6.22. m.mitchell

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

Quote:

>I have been told that the reason some programs from the past won't
>run under DOS 6 or higher, is because there is a conflict with data
>compresssion on hard disk. DOS 6 or higher allows what is called
>double spacing on the hard disk. I like to know if Pascal 5.5 will
>run correctly under DOS 6 and not corrupt my hard drive by writting
>to the wrong file on my hard disk.
>Is there any other problem which may come up by trying to run
>T/PASCAL 5.5 UNDER dos 6.22. m.mitchell

I've never heard such things.  5.5 is a relatively modern version of
Pascal.  I've run 3.3 under DOS 5.0,6.2,and 6.22 with no problems.
WHat you may have heard is that it won't work when you run the disk
doubling program that it included in DOS 6...The simple remedy: don't
run it.  It is DoubleSpace in 6.2 and DriveSpace in 6.22 (Stac
Electronics sued Microsoft).  I hope this answers your question.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

Quote:

>>I have been told that the reason some programs from the past won't
>>run under DOS 6 or higher, is because there is a conflict with data
>>compresssion on hard disk. DOS 6 or higher allows what is called
>>double spacing on the hard disk. I like to know if Pascal 5.5 will
>>run correctly under DOS 6 and not corrupt my hard drive by writting
>>to the wrong file on my hard disk.
>>Is there any other problem which may come up by trying to run
>>T/PASCAL 5.5 UNDER dos 6.22. m.mitchell
>I've never heard such things.  5.5 is a relatively modern version of
>Pascal.  I've run 3.3 under DOS 5.0,6.2,and 6.22 with no problems.
>WHat you may have heard is that it won't work when you run the disk
>doubling program that it included in DOS 6...The simple remedy: don't
>run it.  It is DoubleSpace in 6.2 and DriveSpace in 6.22 (Stac
>Electronics sued Microsoft).  I hope this answers your question.

I am using TP5.5 and DOS6 with DoubleSpace-compressed disk since about one
year and I never had any problem with this although I oftentimes use a kind of
unorthodox way of programming by wildy banging around pointers and DOS
interrupt calls, directly accessing timerchips, cards and so on.
If you should find out taht it doesnt work, please tell me.

Joerg.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

TP5.5 and above will run fine under DOS 6.0, 6.2, 6.22, Stacker, etc.
Jochen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

Quote:

>I have been told that the reason some programs from the past won't
>run under DOS 6 or higher, is because there is a conflict with data
>compresssion on hard disk. DOS 6 or higher allows what is called
>double spacing on the hard disk. I like to know if Pascal 5.5 will
>run correctly under DOS 6 and not corrupt my hard drive by writting
>to the wrong file on my hard disk.
>Is there any other problem which may come up by trying to run
>T/PASCAL 5.5 UNDER dos 6.22. m.mitchell

Turbo 5.5 runs under dos 6 just fine even with a doublespaced disk.  I
know, I've done it (A LOOOONNGGGG time ago.  Why the hell are you still
running turbo5.5?)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

Quote:
(Nowhere Man) writes:

Quote:

>>I have been told that the reason some programs from the past won't
>>run under DOS 6 or higher, is because there is a conflict with data
>>compresssion on hard disk. DOS 6 or higher allows what is called
>>double spacing on the hard disk. I like to know if Pascal 5.5 will
>>run correctly under DOS 6 and not corrupt my hard drive by writting
>>to the wrong file on my hard disk.
>>Is there any other problem which may come up by trying to run
>>T/PASCAL 5.5 UNDER dos 6.22. m.mitchell

>Turbo 5.5 runs under dos 6 just fine even with a doublespaced disk.  I
>know, I've done it (A LOOOONNGGGG time ago.  Why the hell are you
still
>running turbo5.5?)

I don't know why m.mitchell is still running tp5.5, but I know why I
am.  It is a fine product that continues to solve the problems that I
need to solve.  It has been some years now, but when Borland came out
with the next upgrade, they never articulated a sufficient reason for
me to upgrade.  Could any of you?

Bob.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 WOULD TURBO PASCAL 5.5 RUN UNDER DOS 6 or HIGHER

Quote:

> I don't know why m.mitchell is still running tp5.5, but I know why I
> am.  It is a fine product that continues to solve the problems that I
> need to solve.  It has been some years now, but when Borland came out
> with the next upgrade, they never articulated a sufficient reason for
> me to upgrade.  Could any of you?

Hey! I'm still using 5.0 for most of my real-mode programming!  I also
have BP (which I do use for protected mode and occasionally for real
mode) and Delphi (if I ever figure how to use it without junking
everything I've done in my life).

I use 5.0 for several reasons.
1) It was easy to customize the editor to have key assignments that were
a lot like EMACS.

2) The integrated de{*filter*} works fine (almost).

3) When you get to Turbo 6 and beyond, the environment starts getting too
clever for my liking.  (Too many windows & making too many assumptions about
what I want.)

I know I'll have to change to Delphi or BP completely one of these days,
but the simple fact is that there's a learning curve and I'll need a
compelling reason to invest in changing the ways I do things.  Such a
reason may be coming soon, as I may want to sell DLL's and work with
another developer who is totally Windows based.  (Microsoft Argggh!)

David Emanuel

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. where can i get turbo pascal 5.5 or higher for free

2. need TP higher then 5.5

3. How can a .exe file runs in DOS has windows?(Made in Turbo Pascal)

4. turbo pascal 5.5 instructions in how to install a complier

5. Keyboard Configuration to Turbo Pascal 5.5

6. Need help in Turbo Pascal 5.5

7. Turbo Pascal 5.5 download site

8. Learn/Reference for Turbo Pascal 5.5

9. Anyone have Turbo Pascal 5.5?