advanced compilers
Author Message
 advanced compilers

Hi everybody,
 I am not a professionist at all but I am developing a simulator for
scientific purposes in TP7 for DOS. This program is growing day after day
and its complexity is growing too. As I am going to need more than 1 Mb
RAM in any case, I decided to get a new compiler to do the job.
Can someone suggest me:
- a good reliable compiler for Pascal language,
- with enhanced code optimizaton capabilities (for Pentium would be
  ideal, but al least not just the 286 instructions I can get with the
  TP7),
- capable of addressing at least 4 Mb of RAM,
- full 800x600x256 graphic capabilities,
- capable of compiling code executable under Windows NT or 95
- capable of compiling Borland Pascal sources with little modifications to
  be done.

Or at least the closest thing existing with these features.

Can someone also suggest me some url to look at, to find third party's
add-on for any compiler you could suggest?

thanks in advance
Raimondo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 advanced compilers

Quote:

>Can someone suggest me:
>- a good reliable compiler for Pascal language,
>- with enhanced code optimizaton capabilities (for Pentium would be
>  ideal, but al least not just the 286 instructions I can get with the
>  TP7),
>- capable of addressing at least 4 Mb of RAM,
>- full 800x600x256 graphic capabilities,
>- capable of compiling code executable under Windows NT or 95
>- capable of compiling Borland Pascal sources with little modifications

For compiling Borland code under Windozze use Delphi (the successor of
TP). For work under DOS-extender (with some degree of Borland
compatibility) try Gnu-Pascal, a free compiler downloadable from
ftp://kampi.hut.fi/jtv/gnu-pascal (or any of the commercially available
flat-mode compilers, if you wish to spend some money). there is a way to
use 486 and pentium asm-instructions even in TP6 with db statements, but
I have never realy looked into that.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 advanced compilers

Quote:

> Hi everybody,
> I decided to get a new compiler to do the job.
> Can someone suggest me:
> - a good reliable compiler for Pascal language,
> - with enhanced code optimizaton capabilities (for Pentium would be
>   ideal, but al least not just the 286 instructions I can get with the
>   TP7),
> - capable of addressing at least 4 Mb of RAM,
> - full 800x600x256 graphic capabilities,
> - capable of compiling code executable under Windows NT or 95
> - capable of compiling Borland Pascal sources with little modifications to
>   be done.

> Or at least the closest thing existing with these features.

So I think, there exists no PASCAL compiler which features _all_ the things
you want. So my suggestions are as follows :
*
If you need simple to run your program in DPMI protected mode
(which means the capability to adress up to 16MB) you can use Borland
Pascal 7.0 (BP7, not TP7) which is capable to compile TP7 sources without
modifications. Moreover BP7 provides new BGI drivers up to SVGA 1024x768.
Unfortunately BP7 is still in 286/16bit technology. BP7 does not provide 32
bit extender, flat memory model or 386+ code optimization.
*
If you want 32bit compiler with full support of Borland's dialekt you
can :
- Move to Delphi 2.0, which produces 32bit highly optimized EXE for
WinNT/Win95. In this case you should rebuild your program to windows
application, which could be not so easy if you have thousands lines of
code.
- Use VirtualPascal for OS/2 which is 99.9% (;)) BP compatible compiler for
OS/2 3.0 and later. It provides full optimization up to Pentium and
produces small and fast executables which run under powerful and _stable_
operating system. However in this case you should learn a bit about OS/2
API and programming under this system.
- Use one of the freeware/shareware compilers like FPKPascal, TMT Pascal
Lite or GNU Pascal. These compilers offer less or more BP campatible
dialekt with some extensions (like operator overloading in TMT) and
produce full 32bit flat model executebles. These compilers are not full
commercial products so the documentation and support are limited.

Best Regards (and excuse my bad English ;))
Piotr Skrzypczynski

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. advanced compilers

2. Need advanced HTML component

3. Advanced Delphi Developer's Guide to ADO

4. advanced dbLookupCombo

5. Two advance questions..

6. book on advanced database app design in delphi?

7. I see no Advanced Options button using Reportsmith - ??

8. Using the enter key to advance

9. CALL FOR PAPERS -- Advanced Topics for Testing Computer Software (TCS99)

10. Advanced Design Library

11. 4 Turbo PASCAL Questions for the more advanced.

12. Turbo PASCAL Questions for the more advanced.