TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?
Author Message
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?

Is there a program that will dump the contents of TURBO.HLP?

I'm new to TP but not to programming (any Forth users here?)
and I need a complete TP function reference.

It's great that Borland has released TP5.5 as freeware but of course
there are no docs.  The built-in help is fine - if you already know all
the functions.

I've searched the net - lots of TP tutorials but nothing along the
lines of a complete function reference...

Ed

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:45:58 GMT
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?
I cannot solve the problem, but the help is also useful if you dont
know TP: I didnt know and learnt TP only by using the help.
I used the following trick: I typed in the name of the unit I thought
the function is in and pressed Strg-F1.

The most important units are:
System - must not be stated in uses clause, is automatically included,
contains write, readln, sin, arctan etc. (standard functions)
Crt - keypressed, readkey, delay, sound, nosound and text screen (but
contains the well-known RTE200 bug if not patched). I successfully
replaced my crt unit by a patch on Ing. Franz Glasers page, you'll find
it. This one contains replacement tpus and has to be set up with
tpumover.
Graph - graphics-mode programming (up to 16 colours if no BGI drivers
added.)

Quote:

--
Rudolf Polzer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:39:16 GMT
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?
Thanks for the tip.  In leaning something new I guess one always wants to
do it at quickly as possible!  I did find a help decompiler so I'll see if I
can trim it down to something handy.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Ed

Quote:
> I cannot solve the problem, but the help is also useful if you dont
> know TP: I didnt know and learnt TP only by using the help.
> I used the following trick: I typed in the name of the unit I thought
> the function is in and pressed Strg-F1.

> The most important units are:
> System - must not be stated in uses clause, is automatically included,
> contains write, readln, sin, arctan etc. (standard functions)
> Crt - keypressed, readkey, delay, sound, nosound and text screen (but
> contains the well-known RTE200 bug if not patched). I successfully
> replaced my crt unit by a patch on Ing. Franz Glasers page, you'll find
> it. This one contains replacement tpus and has to be set up with
> tpumover.
> Graph - graphics-mode programming (up to 16 colours if no BGI drivers
> added.)

> > Is there a program that will dump the contents of TURBO.HLP?

> > I'm new to TP but not to programming (any Forth users here?)
> > and I need a complete TP function reference.

> > It's great that Borland has released TP5.5 as freeware but of course
> > there are no docs.  The built-in help is fine - if you already know
> all
> > the functions.

> > I've searched the net - lots of TP tutorials but nothing along the
> > lines of a complete function reference...

> > Ed

> --
> Rudolf Polzer

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:27:10 GMT
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?
I'd been into CP/M for many years and ended up writing a public domain
Forth compiler for it.  I had begun to port it to MSDOS a year ago but
eventually realised I'd have to expand it in several directions.  It was too
big an ask and I was tired out so I dropped the idea.

As I always wanted to get into TPascal, it was a perfect opportunity to
try something else.  Now I'll get a chance to write a few apps for a
change!

Ed

Quote:
> > (any Forth users here?)

> Used to be.

> Antoine

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:05:40 GMT
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?

Quote:

> I did find a help decompiler

Hi Ed -

Could you say what decompiler you found and where? I found one a
couple years ago, on CompuServe I think, geared towards Borland C++,
but it worked for my TP help file too.

Actually, now that I think about it, it was a program to convert a
Borland Turbo help file into the format used by the Microsoft
QuickHelp compiler. I wrote a subsequent program (in C++) to clean up
the results of that and put it in a more readable text format.

Cheers, Todd

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TurboPascal reference / TURBO.HLP unpacker?

Quote:
> I'm new to TP but not to programming (any Forth users here?)
> and I need a complete TP function reference.

If you press F1 twice, you get a help contents. From here you get a
complete reserved words list, and all library functions/procedures (all
funcs/procs from all system units incl. CRT,DOS,Printer,Graph and
System).

--

Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool
http://www.liv.ac.uk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. getting BDE.HLP or BDE32.HLP file

2. Turbo.hlp decompiler

3. Turbo Helpfile (.tph, .tch, .hlp) Decompiler searched

4. need turbo pascal 5.5. hlp file

5. TP4 TURBO.HLP file

6. Turbo Pascal .hlp file

7. HLP-file in Turbo Vision