To all you college students out there!
Author Message
 To all you college students out there!

     I have been monitoring this NG for several years now, and the most common
question has always been "Help me with my home work1"  Here's a guideline for
you.
1.  Analyze the problem and write down in PLAIN ENGLISH the steps needed to
solve the problem.  These will become your comments for your code.
EXAMPLE:  (reading a linked list)
     1.  Allocate memory for record.
     2. Read First record into allocated memory
     3.  Link new record into list.

     These steps will become the outline for your procedures and functions.

2.  Take each step and code it into the language of choice. (Pascal, c, c++
etc)

3.  Debug the code you have written.

     I have generally found that if you write your outline first before writing
any code and test each procedure indvidually before going on to the next, your
programs will run much better, and the problems will be much easier to debug.
     Last piece of advice:  Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it
definately made for a better programmer.  All of the answers you seek are there
in your textbooks, and what the instructor is trying to teach you has less to
do with what the answer is, but the process of trying to find it!  As you get
out into the real world, the knowledge that you have accumulated in school
becomes less important  than the ability to find the answers you need.
Yagottawanna

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:32:56 GMT
 To all you college students out there!

Quote:

>1.  Analyze the problem and write down in PLAIN ENGLISH the steps needed to
>solve the problem.  These will become your comments for your code.
>EXAMPLE:  (reading a linked list)
>     1.  Allocate memory for record.
>     2. Read First record into allocated memory
>     3.  Link new record into list.

>     These steps will become the outline for your procedures and functions.

A good thing is to write those directly in the file as comments.
After that one starts writing the code and one will end up with
commented code.

Osmo

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:26:21 GMT
 To all you college students out there!

Quote:
>      I have been monitoring this NG for several years now, and the most
common
> question has always been "Help me with my home work1"  Here's a guideline
for
> you.

You "college students" looking for easy answers
 make this newsgroup less professional.
You should ask your professors.

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:06:47 GMT
 To all you college students out there!
College is a great place to learn how to learn and think.  It requires work
and effort.

Yes I said "learn how to learn"   because through out life you will be
learning and having to think.

There is no point in just "getting" the answers to your course work to pass
the exams. Unless you learn from the method used to get the answers all you
end up with is a piece of ornately printed paper.  The short cut of asking
for the answers may get you through college and provide that piece of paper.
But who will you ask in the work place when you have to solve a problem that
didn't come up in college ?

How do you know the answer you are given is the right answer ?  Do you work
through it and check it for accuracy ?  If you have to work through it then
you may as well use twice that effort and work out or research the answer
yourself.

Back in 1957 we were given two options at school, either

[1] be taught to pass the necessary exams with ease
or
[2] be taught to solve problems and how to learn throughout our life.

We were advised to take option 2. although it would mean the exams would be
difficult to pass in the time allowed. Some of us struggled in the exams,
some barely scraped through but of those most are now highly respected  and
sucessful in the various industries they work in

It is not just students looking for an easier life, many modern schools and
colleges put more emphasis on the number of exam passes than the quality of
education given to the students

Take the example of a class of 7 years olds,  the teacher was so proud that
all her class knew the times table

one one is one,  two ones are two,......... up to ten ones are ten, two tens
are twenty

And could chant them with ease

asked what the time tables were one young girl said.  "They are Miss Brown's
favorite poems"

Knowledge without understanding.

-
Bernard Green
Proprietor / Consultant
Syemon Electronic Solutions
Sharnbrook. Bedfordshire  MK44 1PS

Quote:

> >1.  Analyze the problem and write down in PLAIN ENGLISH the steps needed
> >solve the problem.  These will become your comments for your code.
> >EXAMPLE:  (reading a linked list)
> >     1.  Allocate memory for record.
> >     2. Read First record into allocated memory
> >     3.  Link new record into list.

> >     These steps will become the outline for your procedures and
functions.

> A good thing is to write those directly in the file as comments.
> After that one starts writing the code and one will end up with
> commented code.

> Osmo

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:11:56 GMT
 To all you college students out there!
I guess some of the arrows were pointing and me in this thread, as I
was bombing lately the newsgroup with my linked list problems.
I want to appologise for that.
It is just that, in my case, I am thrown between going early in the
morning to work, running at 6 pm to college, so I don't miss the
classes and dragging my legs home after 9 pm, because by that time I am
usually close to dead. I am a college student and I have a family too.
I wish I could have the time to spend ours in the library to search for
the answers, or I had the time to go to find the teacher who has
specific visit hours, which are usually in the morning, when I cannot
leave for the life of me the office. I can't have myself fired, because
my salary pays the tuition fees as well, which are high as hell.
I know all this is no excuse, I just wanted to explain why I was trying
to reach out to this newsgroup for some answers, when I got stuck.
How many times I stayed at my computer until 1 am, trying to solve
these damn linked lists, and when I was to give up, then I decided to
ask the group NOT on the solution, but the correction of my code which
were leading me nowhere anymore.
It is really difficult going 4 times in the evening to college and
working full time and having a family as well. In college where else I
have A ad B+ grades (that makes me not one of the worst students, I
suppose), somehow Pascal doesn't want to fit it. It's the only subject
(well, except maths) where my grades are worse. And there is where I
was seeking help.
As I understand, my continuous seek for help in this newsgroup makes
the group look not so professional. I never though of the group this
way, I thought it's a peer to peer group, where people get to know each
other, help each other, a community.
Anyway, I guess many of you will be happy to find out that the group
will be much more professional after I stopped posting here, which will
happen as of now.
Thanks again for all the help and patience some of you were very kind
of offer me. I learned a great deal from your examples.

Have a nice day.
D.

Quote:

> >      I have been monitoring this NG for several years now, and the
most
> common
> > question has always been "Help me with my home work1"  Here's a
guideline
> for
> > you.

> You "college students" looking for easy answers
>  make this newsgroup less professional.
> You should ask your professors.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:05:04 GMT
 To all you college students out there!

Quote:

>I guess some of the arrows were pointing and me in this thread, as I
>was bombing lately the newsgroup with my linked list problems.

This thread was NOT directed at anybody in particular, it was a shotgun blast
in general.  (Yes my E-Mail has changed.) As to your thread on linked lists,
you did do much of the work yourself, and called for help only when you got
stuck.  That's what this newsgroup is here for.  My post was more for those
students who expect someone out there to do all the work that they can take the
credit for (The future Mid-level Managers.) And I was also trying to provide
some pointers that I still use to to this day to help me when I write my code.
    As for your schedule,  I can really sympathize;  I did the same when I was
in school, and I remember the many late nights studying because I had to pull a
late shift at the factory with an exam the next day.  Just try and maintain
some balance in your life.
   Some of us in this newsgroup do tend to get a little Myopic in the Ivory
Tower and forget that there are real people struggling behind the lines of
text, but on the other hand, it is very frustrating when 50 - 75% of the
group's postings can be summed as follows:
    "Here's my assignment, Someone do it for me by tomorrow, thank you very
much!"
I have taught myself 90% of what I know about programming by researching and
making mistakes.  I only took one class in Computer science in college (Pascal
I) and the rest was me saying, "This is what I want the computer to do, How can
I make it happen?"  and then trying different ideas until something worked.
  To sum this message up,  If you put forth an effort to solve the problem
yourself and get stuck, this group will bend over backwards to help;  if you
want to take credit for my work, change your major to Business Management.

Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:43:53 GMT

1. help college student!

2. HELP A college student!

3. how to make multiple read outs - help

4. how do you make multiple read outs?

5. Table jumps outs edit mode newby

6. College & Pascal

7. College Programs/Projects?

8. College needs help tpb7 where to put

9. College Help PLease?

10. College Help

11. Pascal in College

12. online delphi college course - acredited