Shell sort vs. Comb sort (was: sorting arrays)
Author Message
 Shell sort vs. Comb sort (was: sorting arrays)

I've done some tests comparing the Shell sort and Comb sort
routines recently uploaded here.  As Martin suggested, I tested
soring arrays of strings.  The arrays were uniformly distributed
string[15] of upper case letters.  I tested arrays of various
sizes from 100 to about 2,000,000 elements.

Shell sort was 9% to 26% faster than comb sort.  For both
methods, the average running time is in very good agreement with
c*n^p, where n is the number of elements and c is a constant
depending on the speed of the machine, the implemention, the
compiler, etc.  For Shell, p is about 1.12 - for comb is it
about 1.138.  The values of c for the two methods is almost
identical, but Shell was about 0.3% better.

Jud McCranie

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Fast copying records in sorted order / was Sorting

2. Most efficient sort text file routine, sort algorithms

3. shell sort

4. Shell sorting

5. Shell sort

6. lgarray0.zip TP unit for huge arrays and arrays of sorted strings

7. Shell Sort Procedure needed ASAP!

8. shell sorting

9. Shell sort alogoritm

10. PARADOX TABLE SORTING vs TABLE EDIT CONFLICT

11. MS-Sql vs. Access SORT Statement

12. How to randomize a sorted array?