Pascal newbie requires info
Author Message
 Pascal newbie requires info

Quote:
> I'd be much appreciated if anyone could help me.
> I'm 16 and about to take a course in Programming using Pascal, the school I
> attend is using version 2 of Pascal and I would like to know if I'd have
> any problems if I purchased the latest version and used it to finish
> homework etc. and could anyone explain what delphi is, is it just a   > scooped up version of Pascal or what?

   TP2.0?  Really?  Why, that's at least 12 years old, and a _very_
different product (IDE, interface, features, etc.) than current Borland
Pascal products.  I'm surprised that _any_ institution uses 2.0, because
it's so incompatible with the world's usage of the language.  Perhaps
someone wants only Standard Pascal to be used in the course, which may
explain it...
   Nevertheless, 2.0 is very different from the latest Pascal products
(TP7.0 and BP7.0), which are much more powerful and robust.  As far as
learning the fundamentals of Pascal and programming, the current version
of TP/BP are far more than you need, and it's possible your use of some
features would be incompatible with the purpose of your class.  I dunno.
   Delphi is a Pascal-based product, but it's not really Pascal - it's
an OOP(Object Oriented Programming)-based, RAD (Rapid Application
Development) Windows products which creates only Windows applications.
Delphi shouldn't be considered any sort of "enriched Turbpo Pascal",
since its interface and purpose are radically different from a
"programming language" of the tupe you're learning.  Also, since it
creates only Windows applications, I hardly think it's a suitable
replacement for your school work - it doesn't exercise any of the Pascal
language fundamentals that you're learning.
   If you want to do work at home, I suggest you try to find a newer TP
version than 2.0 - say, 5.0 or 5.5.  Such versions should be cheap,
since they're obsolete - but they provide excellent capabilities and
power for what you're learning in class, I'm sure.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal newbie requires info

I'd be much appreciated if anyone could help me.

I'm 16 and about to take a course in Programming using Pascal, the school I
attend is using version 2 of Pascal and I would like to know if I'd have
any problems if I purchased the latest version and used it to finish
homework etc. and could anyone explain what Delphi is, is it just a scooped
up version of Pascal or what?

                Thank for any help

                        G.Smith

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal newbie requires info

Quote:

>   If you want to do work at home, I suggest you try to find a newer TP
>version than 2.0 - say, 5.0 or 5.5.  Such versions should be cheap,
>since they're obsolete - but they provide excellent capabilities and
>power for what you're learning in class, I'm sure.

Never used 5.5; but I can agree about 5.0; one can keep the necessary
parts of DOS3.3 and TP5.0 (compiler, help, library) on a single 720K
bootable floppy, and carry it in one's pocket.  Although I use TP7/BP7,
I program, where feasible, in the TP5 language, so that I could continue
on my old, backup PPC640.

However, I don't know where to start looking to buy legitimate, used
software in UK - though I'll happily put a pointer on my Web page ...

--

  Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.
  Correct 4-line sig separator is as above, a line comprising "-- " (SoRFC1036)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal newbie requires info

Quote:
>> I'd be much appreciated if anyone could help me.
>> I'm 16 and about to take a course in Programming using Pascal, the school I
>> attend is using version 2 of Pascal and I would like to know if I'd have
>> any problems if I purchased the latest version and used it to finish
>> homework etc. and could anyone explain what Delphi is, is it just a   > scooped up
>version of Pascal or what?

>   TP2.0?  Really?  Why, that's at least 12 years old, and a _very_
>different product (IDE, interface, features, etc.) than current Borland
>Pascal products.  I'm surprised that _any_ institution uses 2.0,

Me to....
I'm a 17 year old 'A' level student (from the UK) and I'm just taking my final
exams for a computing course. We used version 7.0 of Turbo Pascal (that's
the latest version, right?) and it was great to learn with. Prevously, I only
had v.limited experience messing around with BASIC, Turbo Pascal was great
to teach me the fundamentals. I have no idea your school/college/whatever
is only using v2.0, my (now ex) school isn't exacly the richest of schools....

Quote:
>   If you want to do work at home, I suggest you try to find a newer TP
>version than 2.0 - say, 5.0 or 5.5.  Such versions should be cheap,
>since they're obsolete - but they provide excellent capabilities and
>power for what you're learning in class, I'm sure.

I will say that having the complier and editor at home helped me enensly
while I was doing my project for the course, it would probably be worth
doing as Mike says and investing in the software. I would ask your tutor as
to what version to get though.
--
Asa Winstanley                               near Cardiff, S.Wales, UK
"HeHeHeH..Great warrior? Wars not make one great.": Yoda

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal newbie requires info

Quote:
> I'd be much appreciated if anyone could help me.

> I'm 16 and about to take a course in Programming using Pascal, the school
> attend is using version 2 of Pascal and I would like to know if I'd have
> any problems if I purchased the latest version and used it to finish
> homework etc. and could anyone explain what Delphi is, is it just a
scooped
> up version of Pascal or what?

Delphi is some sort of "Visual Pascal" (if you know Visual C++/Basic you
know what I mean), so you can write Windows (95) programs with it.

--

Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join in the fun!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal newbie requires info

Quote:
>   Nevertheless, 2.0 is very different from the latest Pascal products
>(TP7.0 and BP7.0), which are much more powerful and robust.  As far as
>learning the fundamentals of Pascal and programming, the current version
>of TP/BP are far more than you need, and it's possible your use of some
>features would be incompatible with the purpose of your class.  I dunno.
>   If you want to do work at home, I suggest you try to find a newer TP
>version than 2.0 - say, 5.0 or 5.5.  Such versions should be cheap,
>since they're obsolete - but they provide excellent capabilities and
>power for what you're learning in class, I'm sure.

The main differences between 5.5 and 7.0 are IMO the better IDE and Turbo
Vision. I simply do not see much reason to use 5.5 because 7.0 is too
complicated. The BP IDE has syntax highlighting which is a good way to
cut errors and helps learning the language. I do not see why using
obsolete interface without mouse support etc. would be beneficial to
learning.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Info-Pascal still around? (was subscribe info-pascal)

2. Newbie Looking for info on D2 Database development

3. Newbie ODBC + mODBC + info

4. Newbie: Saving DB info when windows closes!!

5. Newbie Info

6. Newbie needs some info

7. File Filtering Info request - newbie help

8. (newbie) textbook featuring extended pascal and object pascal

9. EU Borland Pascal programmer required.(EU only apply)

10. Pascal Required

11. Pascal Required

12. Turbo Pascal 7 Help Required