HELP: Pointers In Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS
Author Message
 HELP: Pointers In Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS

Hello,

     I was just wondering if someone out there could help me.  I want to write
a program that works with pointers.  The task I want to do is as follows:

  I want to two copies of the same program running on the same computer (ex.
under Win3.1x/Win95)at the same time. Easy so far, but I want to have the two
copies to "talk" to each other via memory, and not to do totaly via the hard
drive (a file).
   Ok, let's say I want the copies of the my program to send each other a
variable by the name of "intdata" of integer type.  Basicly I figured I could
write the memory location of "intdata" to a file, Where the an second copy
could the read location of "intdata" (and hopefully never have to read it
again).   I know I will have to mess with pointers to do this, but I do not
know how to set up everything. (ex. like intdatapointer:of_what_Type), and how
to write/read a veriable with a pointer attached.

Thank You For ANY Help You Might Offer,

Charles J. Feldmeier, Jr.

P.S.  Could you send any answer via email as I can not read this newsgroup
everyday, or at leasted you sent a reply to my question in the newsgroup?

BTW, This is NOT homework, or a part of any school work.  Just something I
want to try and do for my self.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Pointers In Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS

Hello Charles!

Answering a message from 01.04.97 07.04.13 from Charles Feldmeier to All:

 CF>      I was just wondering if someone out there could help me.  I want
 CF> to write  a program that works with pointers.  The task I want to do
 CF> is as follows:

 CF>   I want to two copies of the same program running on the same
 CF> computer (ex.  under Win3.1x/Win95)at the same time. Easy so far, but
 CF> I want to have the two  copies to "talk" to each other via memory,
 CF> and not to do totaly via the hard  drive (a file).

A real multitasking system should not allow this, becaus sharing of memory is
very dangerous.

Means for inter process communication should be provided by the operating
system and this tools should be used ( for instance pipes under OS/2 ), or you
will run into troubles.

Servus, Gottfried!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Pointers In Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS

Quote:

>Hello,

>     I was just wondering if someone out there could help me.  I want to write
>a program that works with pointers.  The task I want to do is as follows:

>  I want to two copies of the same program running on the same computer (ex.
>under Win3.1x/Win95)at the same time. Easy so far, but I want to have the two
>copies to "talk" to each other via memory, and not to do totaly via the hard
>drive (a file).
>   Ok, let's say I want the copies of the my program to send each other a
>variable by the name of "intdata" of integer type.  Basicly I figured I could
>write the memory location of "intdata" to a file, Where the an second copy
>could the read location of "intdata" (and hopefully never have to read it
>again).   I know I will have to mess with pointers to do this, but I do not
>know how to set up everything. (ex. like intdatapointer:of_what_Type), and how
>to write/read a veriable with a pointer attached.

This does not work as the DOS programs under windows operate on
separate virtual machines. That means the memory locations are entirely
separate.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Pointers In Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS

Quote:

>>Hello,

>>     I was just wondering if someone out there could help me.  I want to
write
>>a program that works with pointers.  The task I want to do is as follows:

>>  I want to two copies of the same program running on the same computer
(ex.
>>under Win3.1x/Win95)at the same time. Easy so far, but I want to have the
two
>>copies to "talk" to each other via memory, and not to do totaly via the
hard
>>drive (a file).
>>   Ok, let's say I want the copies of the my program to send each other a
>>variable by the name of "intdata" of integer type.  Basicly I figured I
could
>>write the memory location of "intdata" to a file, Where the an second copy
>>could the read location of "intdata" (and hopefully never have to read it
>>again).   I know I will have to mess with pointers to do this, but I do
not
>>know how to set up everything. (ex. like intdatapointer:of_what_Type), and
how
>>to write/read a veriable with a pointer attached.

>This does not work as the DOS programs under windows operate on
>separate virtual machines. That means the memory locations are entirely
>separate.

>Osmo

Ok, Besides Pointers, TEMSSTREAM(maybe), and writting a file is there any
way I could get two programs writting in TP7.0 for DOS to "talk" to each
other?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal 7.0 for Dos on ebay.com

2. WTB: Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS and Windows

3. Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0 DOS Problems

4. Bitmap-Files in Turbo Pascal 7.0 DOS

5. Dos Memory Extender for Turbo Pascal 7.0

6. {?}->Borland,Turbo Pascal 7.0 win/dos?

7. printing BMP files in turbo pascal 7.0 (DOS)

8. Borland Turbo Pascal DOS 7.0 Academic Edition

9. Bitmap-Files in Turbo Pascal 7.0 DOS

10. Helpcompiler Dos Version, (Turbo) Pascal 7.0

11. Unhandled Exception Turbo Pascal 7.0 Dos 6.22