BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
Author Message
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

Jim,

Have you received the replacement CD for BP 7.0 you
ordered from Inprise yet?  Today I called the 800 number
in your message below and reached an Inprise saleswoman,
but she said there was no product fitting the description
of a "replacement CD for Borland Pascal 7.0 with Objects".
Did you buy the last copy in existence?  She said the
closest product was a replacement disk (not CD) for Turbo
Pascal 7 for DOS which cost $15.00.

Let me know if the product you receive is really the final
version 7.01 for Borland Pascal.  If so, could you please
let me know the exact name of the product so I can be more
specific when I call again.  Thanks.

Quote:

> I've done some checking and the following is direct from Inprise
> Customer Service via e-mail.

> "You may obtain a replacement CD for Borland Pascal 7.0 with Objects
> for $19.95.  This would be the 7.01 version, which was the last
> version released.  Unfortunately, this update is not available for
> downloading.  If you would like to place an order please call
> 1-800-331-0877."

> The very nice lady taking my order could not tell me any details, like
> whether an updated RTL is included, but at least this should cure the
> shift and range checking bugs.  Also, a CD is a darn nice replacement
> for the original eleven 3.5" diskettes, some of which had to grind
> past several read problems last time I reinstalled.

> --
> Jim Higgins

> icbm: 33.55.34N, 80.24.21W
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~higginsj/index.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
JH> The very nice lady taking my order could not tell me any details,
JH> like whether an updated RTL is included, but at least this should
JH> cure the shift and range checking bugs.  Also, a CD is a darn nice
JH> replacement for the original eleven 3.5" diskettes, some of which
JH> had to grind past several read problems last time I reinstalled.

I did the same thing about a year ago as my #7 churned and churned.
The drive was working so hard, I was afraid the diskette was gonna
melt inside. Now I got a CD and don't have to worry until 10 years
down the road when we're all using read-only crystals ;)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

1-800 932 9994
1-800 331 0877
408 461 9177

Everyone was most insistent that this product does not and never has existed.

Someone is hwoever supposed to call me back!

David Maconochie

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

Quote:

> Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
> of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

> 1-800 932 9994
> 1-800 331 0877
> 408 461 9177

> Everyone was most insistent that this product does not and never has existed.

> Someone is hwoever supposed to call me back!

> David Maconochie

You may have better luck if you refer to it as the BP7 update or the BP7
maintenance release.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
Here is the nub:

You have to ask for "Borland Pascal with Objects [replacement disk]"

It is probably worth mentioning that you want 7.01, since 7.0 is still being
sold as
"Turbo Pascal 7.0 replacement diskettes"

Hope that clarifies things!

Quote:

>> Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
>> of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

>> 1-800 932 9994
>> 1-800 331 0877
>> 408 461 9177
[3~>>
>> Everyone was most insistent that this product does not and never has existed

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
Actually, I am still very confused on this issue.  Today
(Aug 25, 1998) I received an email response from Customer
Service at Inprise and they say the Borland Pascal product
line has been discontinued and is no longer available.  If
anyone has been able to purchase a Borland Pascal 7.01
(update, replacement, whatever you call it) recently, I
would like to know the specifics of how you ordered it
because my experience is that Inprise does not have this
version 7.01 available.

Here is Inprise's response to my email:

Subject: Re: Replacement for Borland Pascal
   Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:33:13 -0700

Thank you for taking the time send your message to us, and
interest in Inprise software.

The Borland Pascal product line has been discontinued and
is no longer available, including replacement media.

Regards,

Matt
INPRISE Customer Service
Borland and Visibroker Products

My message to customer service on 20 Aug 98:

Quote:
> I heard that a replacement disk (CD ROM) may be available
> from Inprise for Borland Pascal with Objects.  I have a
> registered copy of version 7.00 and am hoping to obtain
> the final version 7.01 which corrected a few bugs in the
> compiler.  A message was posted on the usenet newsgroup
> comp.lang.pascal.borland that said this CD was available
> from Inprise for $19.95.  However, when I called Inprise
> sales today (800) 331-0877, they said they had no such
> product for Borland Pascal.  They did have a replacement
> disk for Turbo Pascal 7, but I don't think that would be
> the same thing.

> Is this product available?  If so, what specifically
> should I ask for when I call your sales line?

> Thanks for your assistance.

> Here is the nub:

> You have to ask for "Borland Pascal with Objects [replacement disk]"

> It is probably worth mentioning that you want 7.01, since 7.0 is still being
> sold as
> "Turbo Pascal 7.0 replacement diskettes"

> Hope that clarifies things!

> >> Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
> >> of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

> >> 1-800 932 9994
> >> 1-800 331 0877
> >> 408 461 9177
> [3~>>
> >> Everyone was most insistent that this product does not and never has existed

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

16:36:12 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, "Dr D.J. Maconochie"

Quote:

>Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
>of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

>1-800 932 9994
>1-800 331 0877
>408 461 9177

Try 0800 454065 or 01734 321150.  The former is recent; the latter is
old and Reading, so BT/Oftel may have changed it.

--

  Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c.  FAQqish topics & links.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

Quote:

> The problem is probably one of semantics.  There is no official 7.01.
> That was a silent maintenance release which is now the current version
> (7.01), but which is still called 7.0.  I received a copy on CD on
> 8/24, ordered by calling (800) 331-0877.  The lady I ordered thru was
> confused by my mention of 7.01 for the reasons mentioned above, but it
> is surely 7.01I got as judged by the file dates and differing sizes on
> the main EXE files.  The RTL remains unchanged from 7.0, but its files
> are dated same as the changed 7.01 files.  Beware that you will need
> to reapply any fixes for the fast CPU divide by zero error inherent to
> the CRT.ASM RTL file and compiled into TURBO.TPL.  The big advantage I
> am aware of to 7.01 is proper range checking and proper implementation
> of the register shift instructions.  To that extent I suppose the RTL
> has been updated, but I did not check.  It may be that only TURBO.TPL
> or other compiled units were updated and the source was not - I just
> don't know, but would love to hear from anyone who does.

> Personally, I see this thing as a "bug fix," which should have been
> offered to all registered owners back in 1993 when it was produced.  I
> suggest registered owners of 7.0 approach Inprise thru Customer
> Service to pursue a cheap/free copy of 7.01, assuming you are
> registered with them as an owner of 7.0.

> Jim Higgins

Jim, glad to hear you received the CD from Inprise with
Borland Pascal 7.01.  Your message is still not clear as
to what EXACTLY it is we are supposed to request from
Inprise to receive this elusive product.  Could you
please post the title of the CD as well as product number?
Maybe that will help us in our dealings with Inprise
over the phone.  Was a packing list included with the
CD?  What identification was listed on it?  Also, how much
did the CD cost?  Thanks for any help you can provide as I
have run up against a brick wall in trying to get this
product from Inprise.  I'm still betting you got the very
last copy of this CD in existence which is why Customer
Service told me the Borland Pascal products have been
discontinued and are no longer available!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

Quote:

> The CD says "Borland Pascal with Objects 7.0"  It is Part Number
> "11SA-BPL29-70"  Had I paid any attention to the packing list (aka
> shipping label) on the cardboard mailer it came in I would have seen
> that before.

Thanks so much.  I'll give Inprise another call tomorrow armed
with the above information.  Maybe this time I'll make some
headway.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01

writes:

[...]

Quote:
>The RTL remains unchanged from 7.0, but its files
>are dated same as the changed 7.01 files.

There were changes made to the RTL. I can say with 100% certainty that several
of the TV units had some bugs removed, and I think there were other, non-TV
units affected too, but I can't confirm that.

Jay

| Jason Burgon - author of Graphic Vision |

| http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk           |

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BP with Objects 7.0 vs 7.01
How do you tell by the file dates whether you have 7.0 or 7.01?
Quote:

> >Like the previous poster, I was unable to get hold of anyone who had ever heard
> >of TP 7.01. I tried teh followig 3 numbers:

> >1-800 932 9994
> >1-800 331 0877
> >408 461 9177

> >Everyone was most insistent that this product does not and never has existed.
> >Someone is hwoever supposed to call me back!

> The problem is probably one of semantics.  There is no official 7.01.
> That was a silent maintenance release which is now the current version
> (7.01), but which is still called 7.0.  I received a copy on CD on
> 8/24, ordered by calling (800) 331-0877.  The lady I ordered thru was
> confused by my mention of 7.01 for the reasons mentioned above, but it
> is surely 7.01I got as judged by the file dates and differing sizes on
> the main EXE files.  The RTL remains unchanged from 7.0, but its files
> are dated same as the changed 7.01 files.  Beware that you will need
> to reapply any fixes for the fast CPU divide by zero error inherent to
> the CRT.ASM RTL file and compiled into TURBO.TPL.  The big advantage I
> am aware of to 7.01 is proper range checking and proper implementation
> of the register shift instructions.  To that extent I suppose the RTL
> has been updated, but I did not check.  It may be that only TURBO.TPL
> or other compiled units were updated and the source was not - I just
> don't know, but would love to hear from anyone who does.

> Personally, I see this thing as a "bug fix," which should have been
> offered to all registered owners back in 1993 when it was produced.  I
> suggest registered owners of 7.0 approach Inprise thru Customer
> Service to pursue a cheap/free copy of 7.01, assuming you are
> registered with them as an owner of 7.0.

> What I received is nothing but a CD, no manuals, nothing, nor do
> registered owners of 7.0 need anything more.  I did not inquire about
> a full package with manuals for those who never bought it before.

> I am extremely impressed with Inprise committment to customers long
> after the original sale.  VERY VERY impressed indeed!

> --
> Jim Higgins

> icbm: 33.55.34N, 80.24.21W
> http://web.ftc-i.net/~higginsj/index.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Re. BP with Objects 7.0 vs. 7.01

2. TP 7.0 & BP 7.01

3. BP 7.0 -> 7.01 upgrade

4. TP 7.0 vs 7.01

5. TP 7.0 vs 7.01 - How to Differentiate

6. BP 7.0 vs VB vs Delphi

7. BP 7.01

8. BP 7.01 TSR's.

9. BP 7.01: RTL?

10. BP 7.01 Update Disk

11. TP/BP 7.01 shift bug?

12. Is there a 7.01 update for BP/TP or did I dream it