can anyone help
Author Message
 can anyone help

hi
i'm a computing student and have a problem i wonder if you can help me
with
(i did already post this in vb group, so sorry (and thanks) if you
already replied to that, but my group has switched languages). anyway,
we have to make an infrared device to read the reflected light off a
gem stone, this will be read into a Pic and then sent to the computer
via the ports (someone thinks UART?) to be read and output by a delphi
program.
anyone any suggestion as the best way to go about this??

it needs to be on any pc os and cannot be on a laptop.

thanks Thea

Tue, 31 May 2005 06:59:06 GMT
 can anyone help

Quote:

> hi
> i'm a computing student and have a problem i wonder if you can help me
> with
> (i did already post this in vb group, so sorry (and thanks) if you
> already replied to that, but my group has switched languages). anyway,
> we have to make an infrared device to read the reflected light off a
> gem stone, this will be read into a Pic and then sent to the computer
> via the ports (someone thinks UART?) to be read and output by a delphi

perhaps comp.lang.Pascal.delphi.* will be more helpful, as Delphi is
for Win32 and does ports differently to how a DOS programmer using
borland pascal may go about it.

Tue, 31 May 2005 16:44:53 GMT
 can anyone help

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:59:06 :-

Quote:
>hi
>i'm a computing student and have a problem i wonder if you can help me
>with
>(i did already post this in vb group, so sorry (and thanks) if you
>already replied to that, but my group has switched languages). anyway,
>we have to make an infrared device to read the reflected light off a
>gem stone, this will be read into a Pic and then sent to the computer
>via the ports (someone thinks UART?) to be read and output by a delphi
>program.
>anyone any suggestion as the best way to go about this??

>it needs to be on any pc os and cannot be on a laptop.

Firstly, you need to learn to write English - in particular, the proper
use of capital letters.

Secondly, you need to learn to read English; if you had read the above
with care before posting, you would have realised that "Pic" is
undefined.

Thirdly, you need to learn to determine which is an appropriate
newsgroup.  All newsgroups for the Delphi language have .delphi in their
names; this one does not.  However, there seems to be at least two
newsgroup names with .delphi that do not indicate Borland's Delphi.

Fourthly, your group needs to reconsider its choice of language.
Hardware interfacing will be easier in Borland's Pascal and without
Windows.

Much depends on the output of your IR sensor; is it a proportional
current or voltage, or is it already digital?  What reading rate is
needed (it is much easier to digitise slowly)?  What accuracy is needed,
and what would be useful?  How will the detector be calibrated?

If you do not need much speed, it may be good to use a V to F converter,
divide the rate, and couple into the interrupt system via serial or
parallel port, measuring the interval with a high-rate timer - see Kris
Heidenstrom's FAQ.

--

 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:31:21 GMT
 can anyone help

Quote:
> hi
> i'm a computing student and have a problem i wonder if you can help me
> with
> (i did already post this in vb group, so sorry (and thanks) if you
> already replied to that, but my group has switched languages). anyway,
> we have to make an infrared device to read the reflected light off a
> gem stone, this will be read into a Pic and then sent to the computer
> via the ports (someone thinks UART?) to be read and output by a delphi
> program.
> anyone any suggestion as the best way to go about this??

> it needs to be on any pc os and cannot be on a laptop.

> thanks Thea

My notebook has an IR port. It shows up in the system as one of the com
ports. You should probably access it through the proper interrupts.  I
don't know if this port connects to the 8250 UART chip or to the 8259
interrupt controller.
The sofware I am using for serial communication does not work in Delphi.
Primarily because Delphi does not allow direct hardware access.
Best search for a serial Delphi module. I know that there are some good
routines available for free.

--
Femme

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:55:44 GMT

1. It's not bad canned meat...

2. i need help on pascal anyone can help?

3. Help variable reads too far THANX to anyone who tries to help

4. pascal help, can anyone help me to learn pascal

5. Can anyone help me?

6. Can anyone help ?

7. Help! Anyone who knows *.ico format

8. Can anyone help with odbcint.dll error?

9. can anyone help please!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Can anyone help me ?

11. Delphi Database Problem, can anyone help?

12. Can anyone help connect Dephi3 to TopSpeed (*.tps)?